cannabis
Serious_Debater_Guy

Should Medicinal Cannabis Be Legalized in Every State?

Serious_Debater_Guy has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Debating Period

cannabis

Pro

Why I Think Cannabis Should Be Legalized... I have been a sufferer of chronic pain for 12 years, and conventional treatment didn't seem to work. I got desperate for a viable treatment option, so I started to research alterative pain relief treatments and I was told certain cannabis strains provided the necessary relief I was looking for. I gave it a go, and after only 2 weeks, my life has been transformed. I can now see a future...And this opportunity is not open to all. It should be!

Of course, I think many people are scared to really explore the option of using medicinal cannabis, simply because there is such a negative stereotype that is, in my view, unfairly attached to cannabis. It is categorized alongside other drugs which are detrimental to health such as cocaine and heroin, of which I would never condone. If societal norms were broken and cannabis was looked at in isolation, I believe it would be freely available nationwide. One day it will happen, but while we wait, many people who suffer from chronic pain conditions are suffering and going without treatment which could markedly improve their quality of life.

If cannabis was allowed for medicinal purposes, I think it should only be prescribed by your family doctor. I"m not as keen to roll out such a change for recreational use, as I think this reason for using cannabis damages the whole medicinal brand I think many of us want for cannabis, as way to help some of our sickest in society lead a normal life, free of pain.

There will be many of you who believe that cannabis acts as a gateway drug, but this couldn"t be further from the truth. A recent study found that subjects who were addicted to opioids were able to be slowly taken off these drugs by using cannabis. There were no side effects when these people were taken off these powerful drugs, and they still got the pain relief that they needed. So, you need to ask, why are opioids allowed when cannabis is not allowed? A $3.8 million grant was recently issued by the Federal Government to take a look at this area further, as reported on https://cannabis.net..., which should help advance our cause.

You can see my frustration. It appears "cannabis" as a name is a damaged brand, but if it were called something different, we may get somewhere. The chances of this happening are slim, but you can see where I am coming from.

So, are you for or against medicinal cannabis?
Serious_Debater_Guy

Con

Members Of The House, This House Believes That Medicinal Cannabis Should Not Be Legalized In Every State as drug abusers will then have a higher chance of getting their hands onto these drugs which are meant for medicinal purposes. This will result in a circulation on drugs around the state, posing a danger to others. It may help the person in need of it, but it will do more harm than good to others like drug abusers and friends of them. Therefore, this motion must fall!
cannabis

Pro

You mentioned that "drug abusers will then have a higher chance of getting their hands onto these drugs which are meant for medicinal purposes". It could be argued that these drug abusers instead of using cannabis, will resort to using more powerful drugs. Not all strains of cannabis have the psychoactive element (THC). Some strains have high concentrations of CBD, which is non-psychoactive, and these strains that are high in CBD and low in THC are used for medicinal purposes.

A lot of people in this country are addicted to opioids, which were prescribed to them for pain relief. Does this make them drug abusers when they try and get off these damaging opioids by using medicinal cannabis? This is similar to a step such as person going from cigarettes, to an e-cigarette to wean them off nicotine. Cannabis has no side effects for these opioid addicts, and they often see the side effects they suffered when using opioids disappear.
Posted by Masterful 2 weeks ago
Masterful
If that's your stance then by default you must be for legalizing suicide and against getting them the psychological help they need?
It's a very 'who gives a crap' mentality.
Posted by Coolguy11 3 weeks ago
Coolguy11
I may agree with your premise but I think your argument is a little unnecessary. All you have to say, the only thing, is "I'm not fond of people pointing guns at me and dragging me to jail for possessing something that has no influence on anybody else." :).
Posted by Masterful 3 weeks ago
Masterful
I see the benefits weed has, but I believe that people are very ignorant on the harm it can cause. There are many studies showing a clear link between long term cannabis use and various psychological problems, including, paranoia, social anxiety and other anxiety's, schizophrenia and memory loss.

I don't want people to think weed is a wonder drug and then they develop a range of life changing mental disorders. I hope you're empathetic enough to understand that stance and why we should be advocating research into the drug and not blind legalization.

Maybe it depends on the strain of weed. If anyone knows more about the mental problems associated with weed, i'd be happy to hear as I believe people haven't done the research.
Posted by Actions_Speak 3 weeks ago
Actions_Speak
Quite luterally weed as a whole is only illegal because we"re racist af as a society. https://m.youtube.com...