madisony_123
Mercury3

Should Men and Women be paid the same wage for the same job?

Mercury3
Started: 10/7/2014 Category: Economics

madisony_123

Pro

I don't think it's fair for men to be paid more than women, just because of his gender. I don't understand why this is still an issue today, I feel like this should have been fixed a while back.
Mercury3

Con

Madisony,

The idea that "men are paid more than women, just because of their gender" is a myth perpetuated mainly for political purposes. Imagine what would happen if this myth were true. Since women would be cheaper to hire, out of simple greed many employers would avoid hiring men at all. This strategy would save them huge amounts of money and very soon they would drive their competitors out of the market. Eventually, the only non-bankrupt employers left would be those who prefer hiring women (at least until high demand for female and low demand for male employers make the wage gap disappear).

Of course, there are many individuals who prefer to hire only men or only women for particular jobs. Some women, for instance, prefer to use only female gynecologists. Some men are uncomfortable to hire women for jobs involving carrying heavy loads. Others might have more nefarious motives (e.g., misogyny or misandry). However, in the free market the people who prefer hiring men are balanced by people who prefer hiring women (or we would get the paradox described in the previous paragraph).

The only way for society to create a significant wage gap based not on productivity but on gender (or race, sex, religion etc.) is to let government regulate wages "fairly". Without having to worry about being economically competitive, government and its functionaries can indeed pay higher wages even to the less productive employees.
madisony_123

Pro

Are you saying that men getting paid more is a simple myth? It is very true in many work places and can not be ignored any longer.
Mercury3

Con

Saying something is very true is an assertion, not an argument.
madisony_123

Pro

A) You avoided my question

B) You need to be less worried about how I talk, and more about this debate.
Mercury3

Con

I answered your question in the first round in the first sentence.
Posted by Gustav_Adolf_II 2 years ago
Gustav_Adolf_II
@funnycn I just couldn't be bothered, too lazy and not enough time to do it with work and all.
Posted by funnycn 2 years ago
funnycn
Gustav made a good point. Why didn't he argue?
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
There are a lot of blue collar jobs that most women are not qualified physically,Like roofing, concrete. And hard labor jobs. Now I understand that there may be some that could do those jobs. But unless they just happen to be around when someone is looking to hire, they will be missed. I do not know anybody who is paid less doing the same job.
Posted by medv4380 2 years ago
medv4380
@Pfalcon1318 My numbers come strait from the Census Beuro dataset for 2010-2012, and not from any of those horribly biased studies. You can use their dataferret app to download the entire dataset if you want. Unless you know how to use large datasets I wouldn't advise it though. The problem with most wage gap numbers is that it is a median female wage divided by the median male wage. As Gustav pointed out one of the issues with that is a large number of women who are part time because they're part time mothers. The solution is to just take their yearly wage and divide it by their weekly hours. Then find the median of both and you have a better value for the wage gap. I've been working on constructing a wage gap debate to argue against the standard wage gap values so I'm well aware of your other points. Just working with large datasets of this kind can take a while so I have posted it yet. Excel isn't very friendly for finding medians or percentiles in this kind of data, or in pivot tables. I wouldn't want to accept this one because it's poorly constructed at present.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
@medv, there are several other factors that have to be taken into account as well. Things like experience, time in the work force, distance willingly travelled, education, age, marital status, etc.

Further, I'm not sure how your method of accounting for hours worked is really any better. How did you arrive at the number? If it came from the numbers from the original study, it is still flawed.
Posted by medv4380 2 years ago
medv4380
@Gustav As much as I'm in agreement that the regular calculation for a wage gap is horrifically flawed all accounting for hours worked does is more the goal post a bit. If you use yearly wage the gap is 70 cents per dollar, and if you use wage Per Hours worked the gap is 80 cents per dollar. It's much more stable than the yearly wage which makes it more believable, but then there is a mysterious cliff for the upper 25 percent of wages where it drops to close to 50 cents per dollar until it changes direction for the top 1 percent.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
@Madisony, please do some more research. This is a debate website. Statements of "I feel" and "I don't think it's fair that" are viewed with skepticism.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
@Ariel, that has got to be the silliest thing I've ever heard. "Women work on their periods therefore they should be paid more". That's the exact same as saying women should be paid more because they are women, as that is in intrinsic part of being female.

I hope you're just being satirical.
Posted by Gustav_Adolf_II 2 years ago
Gustav_Adolf_II
My understanding of the issue is that women and men (in the U.S. at least) are paid the same by law, women just earn less on the whole because they work less hours on average partially because the majority of women in relationships aren't the primary breadwinners in their household. So it gives the appearance that women are paid less then men.
Posted by ArielTheLiberalMermaid 2 years ago
ArielTheLiberalMermaid
I am right with you. In fact considering women will have to work on their menstrual cycle they're the ones who should be paid more anyways, so, why not settle it at equality?
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
madisony_123Mercury3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made assertions only, which are not useful in a debate.
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 2 years ago
dragonfire1414
madisony_123Mercury3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con made a compelling argument, while pro simply made short assertions without backing them up. Pro should have been more prepared for this debate. Men and women should not always be paid the same wage. I know a friend who was one of the only male employees in a store of women, however he got paid less then the women did. He had more responsibilities, such as janitorial work and heavy lifting, while the women only needed to stand at the cash register. You should get paid for the WORK you do, not for your job position.
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
madisony_123Mercury3Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's arguemtns went uncontested and thus the debate goes to Con as the resolution is negated.