Mailman
Mysery

Should Middle Schoolers Have Recess

Mysery

Mailman

Con

I think kids in middle school should not have recess because they are just moving in from elementary school and they need to adjust to how hard it is by switching every single class.
Good luck opponent.
Mysery

Pro

Middle school students should have recess. They are still children, and not giving them recess leads to obesity and counter-productive classroom time. I look forward to reading your argument.
Mailman

Con

Kids won't have obesity, because they can have everyday activities outside provided by the school and their parents won't let them sit around all the time.
Also, some schools don't have the budget to build the playground and buy the equipment and the space for it AND it could lead to fights and people not liking each other.
Plus, if kids had it in middle school they want it in high school and sometimes college.
Mysery

Pro

Not all kids are willing to spend their free time on physical activity, though. How do you know their parents won't let them sit around all the time? A ton parents do exactly that. 74% of kids don't get enough physical activity (1).

Recess doesn't require a playground. Just space for the kids to run around. An enclosed roof could do. Or the area outside the school. Regardless, this funding should be a priority. 12.7 million children and adolescents in the United States are obese (2). Obesity can lead to cancer, heart disease, and many other life-threatening physical problems (3).

Recess actually improves social skills (4). It's important to have a chance to socialize and play with other children. Will there be conflicts? Yes, but it's necessary that these conflicts occur so that children can learn how to resolve them in a safe, supervised environment.

Your final point isn't logical. You claim that if we give recess to middle schoolers, they'll want it in high school. But we give recess to elementary schoolers without questioning whether or not they'll want it in middle school. Changes happen, and that's another thing that kids must learn how to deal with. However, the time for that change is between middle school and high school, not elementary school and middle school.

(1) http://www.webmd.com...
(2) http://www.cdc.gov...
(3) http://www.cdc.gov...
(4) http://pediatrics.aappublications.org...
Mailman

Con

Mailman forfeited this round.
Mysery

Pro

I stand by my argument.
Mailman

Con

Although I'm not going to win this, I will make one counter. Social skills can be made during lunch, and recess could take up more time then lunch so people can't eat quicker, and trust me. KIDS DON'T LIKE SHOVING THINGS IN THEIR MOUTHS! So recess can block lunch time
Mysery

Pro

To keep that from happening, schools could have one large block of time that can be used for lunch and then recess, once the kids are done eating. They can go outside whenever they're finished.

Taking a small amount of time from the classroom is a more than worthwhile bargain when you consider the fact that it will make the entire rest of the day much more productive. You would lose more time by cutting recess and having teachers constantly telling students to get back on task. Kids need this recess time to exercise and form social connections.

I believe I have won this debate, both in my argument and in my conduct.
Posted by EveryoneDebates123 1 year ago
EveryoneDebates123
Of course middle schoolers should have Recess. They are children and need to socialize with their friends and just be kids for a while. Everyone can agree that school is stressful, so what's the harm of letting them have for 15 minutes?
Posted by Mailman 1 year ago
Mailman
Well, Middle school is 11-14 year olds and 6th to 8th grade, including 6th and 8th
Posted by Mysery 1 year ago
Mysery
How are you defining middle school? What ages/grades?
Vote Placed by Ragnar 1 year ago
Ragnar
MailmanMyseryTied
Reasons for voting decision: Conduct: missed round. Sources: Effective use of sources (to include .gov well executed appeals to authority) to support arguments about the dangers of lack of exercise, which rather than being challenged caused con to admit he was not going to win the debate. Arguments the social skills aspect alone would carry this, but the health angle made it nearly no contest.