mcraftKnight
Nzrsaa

Should Minecraft be used for education

Nzrsaa
Started: 10/22/2013 Category: Games

mcraftKnight

Pro

First of all: The point of me putting 1,000 characters per argument is for there to be a short and effective argument every round.

I think Minecraft should be used for education because kids love to learn through games. Minecraft could be used to simulate Hunting and Gathering, the Middle Ages, Probability, and other possible lessons. The fact that it is a popular game only enhances it even more. Kids love minecraft all over. There is also a program called Minecraft Edu which was made for Minecraft at school. It basically allows a teacher to be in the game, and the teacher will have a higher status than someone who is OP'ed. So if a student gets out of control, the teacher can still kick or ban them. It allows students to have fun while learning. It is even better if they are part of it. For example, they could be hunters and gatherers, or be soldiers in a Middle Aged battle.
Nzrsaa

Con

Hi!

I don't think that minecraft is a good way for kids to learn. This because it isn't a very accurate means of obtaining information at all. It is a game - meant for enjoyment, not for educational purposes (any variation ie 'edu-minecraft' are exploiting the market and are not a suitable educational tool). I really don't see how kids could learn anything through minecraft any better than they can do through a text book - which would be at a lower price than buying the computers, video games etc.

The game structure will get kids hyped up and difficult to control in a classroom environment; it will also distract the kids from actually learning as they will care more about the game than actually learning.
In addition, it will give the kids a distorted view of what they learn - for example if they are learning about history, they won't learn about it in a historical context - it will rather be in in the context of minecraft. This could prove detrimental in exams where it really matters
mcraftKnight

Pro

If the school gives out laptops, to be used for school (I know many that do), minecraft could be installed easily. You are right, they will not learn history in a historical context. But they will experience it. If the teacher guides them through it and shows them what would have happened in real life and what wouldn't have, they will learn easier. If a few students get carried away, the program I mentioned earlier allows the teacher to freeze all students, or the teacher could kick, jail, or even ban the student if the student destroyed another person's building or wrote a swear word. The program I mentioned is not exploiting the market, because the person who made the program is a school teacher who uses it in his classroom. I agree with you that it should not be used all the time. But it can be used for just 10 minutes every week or so.
Nzrsaa

Con

Although I see your points, I don't think that this would be the most cost-effective solution to children's learning. It could cost hundreds of dollars to do, and I think there are just as good, if not better alternatives for kids to learn - there are many websites that could prove beneficial to kids without all the the disadvantages of the minecraft program.

I'm also not sure that if kids only use it for 10 minutes a week, it is worth the time. Surely there are cheaper substitutes that the kids could use that are better for their education of a subject? Many parents may also be against this form of learning as they might think it is not beneficial to their childrens' education - which may be very problematic for the school trying to enforce the minecraft way of learning.

I guess I just don't think that using minecraft as a way of learning is particularly efficient; and there are many cheaper, less problematic means of learning about subjects.
mcraftKnight

Pro

It would not cost hundreds of dollars, and if the school already gives out laptops to the kids, all they need is the program, and you get a big discount if you are buying for a school. The parents probably would not mind if it is for 10 minutes, and the teachers could send the kids home with permission slips just in case some parents may not like it. I agree it is not necessary, but it is an extremely fun way to learn.

If kids didn't like it they could do another activity. The whole point of this, though, is to put in little bits of fun here and there, and make the kids a tiny bit happier.
Nzrsaa

Con

Nzrsaa forfeited this round.
Posted by mcraftKnight 3 years ago
mcraftKnight
Well, apparently you're winning anyways. Congrats!
Posted by Nzrsaa 3 years ago
Nzrsaa
Sorry for the forfeit, I have no idea what happened. I posted my final argument but then it said I forfeited...
Vote Placed by AgentRocks 3 years ago
AgentRocks
mcraftKnightNzrsaaTied
Reasons for voting decision: Well Played. However Nzrsaa had more convincing arguments.
Vote Placed by FourthsCharter 3 years ago
FourthsCharter
mcraftKnightNzrsaaTied
Reasons for voting decision: This debate was relatively even, but I will say I agree with con after reading and I think this is because he put forth better arguments. Pro started very confidently that Minecraft should be used in schools but backed down and eventually ended up with the statement it should be used 10 minutes a week. Con made effective points that there are many more educationally based learning tools and that Minecraft could even prove to be problematic in the form of distraction and false impressions of history.