crannydebate
Momo12345

Should Minors Be Allowed To Have Energy Drinks?

crannydebate

Con

Minors should not be allowed to drink energy drinks. They can cause major health problems Also, energy drinks can cause growing problems for a young adult or child. According to Live Science, kids who drink to much caffeine, something in which energy drinks are rich in, will have to go to the Emergency Room and this will more than likely become an existing problem. A teen, usual energy drink drinkers, should consume about 100 mg of caffeine each day, 3 cans of Coke. Just one serving of Red Bull, 1 can (12 fluid oz.), has over 111 mg. of caffeine. Our children and teens should not be drinking this because it can cause a lot of damage to someone's body.
Momo12345

Pro

Let me start off by saying that I look forward to debating with you and will greatly enjoy this topic for I am a definite energy drinker.

I only have two points for this topic.

Energy drinks are no worse for you than soda and coffee.
We cannot stop people from drinking energy drinks

A 12-ounce Pumpkin Spice Latte packs in 300 calories, 11 grams of fat, 40 grams of carbohydrates and 38 grams of sugar. A Caramel Br"l"e Latte of the same size has even more calories (340), 11 grams of fat, 52 grams of carbohydrates and 40 grams of sugar.

A 12-ounce serving of apple juice, a lunch box staple, contains 180 calories, 43.5 grams of carbohydrates and 42 grams of sugar"nearly as much sugar as you'd get from five Fudgsicles. A 12-ounce serving of fruit punch (marketed as containing "100% natural flavors") packs 135 calories, 37.5 grams of carbohydrates and 37.5 grams of sugar.
Starting your day with orange juice does deliver a lot of vitamin C, but a 12-ounce serving will set you back 165 ca
crannydebate

Con

Comparing these to coffee is not the way to go, in my opinion. I myself am not an energy drinker, though this subject was brought up in my class and turns out a lot of my classmates and peers drink energy drinks. It is better to drink coffee because it does not cause as bad of a health problem that energy drinks do. Young people should be able to know they have a great life ahead of them, that is of course if they work hard, and life should not be cut short by them making a bad decision now to pop open that Monster or Red Bull. They shouldn't have to worry about getting stuff like diabetes, which energy drinks cause.
Momo12345

Pro

You claim that energy drinks are so much worse for you. and lessen your life. Yet you show no evidence. I have shown evidence for all of my claims and have backed it up with facts. Either give me actual information or I have already won this debate.
crannydebate

Con

I will agree with you, I have lacked showing my sources, so here you go. According to a study done by the American Heart Association, minors who had energy drinks suffered from seizures and heart arrhythmia. According to Dr. Aziz from health.clevelandclinic.org, bottom line is that energy drinks are not for kids. According to TIME, middle school students who consume energy drinks are 66% more at risk for hyperactivity than other kids. I am not going to list every source, but everything that I have seen is saying minors should not have energy drinks. Therefore, a law protecting kids from buying energy drinks would be great and might even save a child life. Yes, cases of a child dieing from consuming to much caffeine from energy drinks have been reported. Trust me, you will find a lot of caffeine overdose cases online.
Momo12345

Pro

What was the date that study was from? and also, you never stated the amount. How many energy drinks are these people drinking compared to everything else. It is extremely unfair to use a piece of evidence and pretend that it negates everything when it doesn't even have the necessary information to prove itself true.
I'm not saying caffeine isn't dangerous. I can fully admit that it can be dangerous, in excess. Anything in excess is dangerous. drinking too much water can kill you! So unless you cite your sources and can prove that these kids are dirnking a moderate amount of energy drinks and still dying, then your arguments are all invalid.
crannydebate

Con

Well, OK then, I have found a lot of different studies. Yes, they may be somewhat old, but they are still valuable. Caffeine does not change over time. A study may be old, but it is still true. I found an article dated back to May of last year talking about studies and what caffeine can do to minors. Also, when I looked at your profile, you are 37. I'm not saying you cannot drink energy drinks, I'm saying minors should not. I am not saying energy drinks should be banned forever because who knows, whenever I am around 37, I might reach for that energy drink or 5 Hour Energy when I am tired. What I am saying is that energy drinks are bad for minors and studies will prove that. I have not found an article in favor saying minors should have energy drinks. If you find one, show me, if not, I have won this debate.
Momo12345

Pro

I am actually 16. I was messing around with my age. if you looked my grad year is 2020 and I go to liberty high. So yes, this does apply to me. and 1. you have neglected to tell the amount of energy drinks that were being consumed in these studies, which actually has a huge effect on the practicality of using those studies in a debate. and you have also neglected to cite them. You claim how horrible caffeine is for minors, yet I actually have proof it can be beneficial in children with disorders life ADHD.
https://www.additudemag.com...
I know, it is about coffee, yes. Not energy drinks. But it proves how caffeine can be beneficial! which then only leaves the sugar side of energy drinks. Which is easily fixed by drinking sugar free energy drinks like Monsters liquid ice-sugar free.
So there we have it. No worse for you than any other sugar free soda. So if you still want to argue. ban sodas. because energy drinks are no worse for you than they are.
crannydebate

Con

First of all, you shouldn't lie about your age. I'm 14. Anyway, you die from drinking energy drinks without stopping. There have been cases, none this year, but you really cannot judge this year, last year from kids dieing from drinking to much energy drinks. In fact, according to Google, there have been five deaths with minors drinking Monster Energy. Those could have been prevented by having a law in place saying that minors cannot have energy drinks. We already protect minors from lottery tickets, firearms, and alcohol. Why don't we protect them from energy drinks? Those could have been lives saved if they didn't drink those Monsters or Red Bulls or whatever energy drinks there are. I think this is our final round. Therefore, I have liked getting to argue with you and I hope we might be able to debate again in the near future.
Momo12345

Pro

Well, I didn't lie about my age. I did put my graduation year there. And the key words in that sentence is "without stopping". Like I stated in an earlier round, anything in excess is bad for you. Drinking energy drinks every once and a while won't do any more harm than a cup of soda will every once and awhile. Minors are protected from things like alcohol because they hinder the mind, energy drinks do not do that. Guns are not allowed to be bought by minors for obvious reasons, and lottery tickets are age limited because of the effect it has on your finances. In conclusion I believe I have overall won this debate because I have not only cited my sources but given relevant recent information. And I would like to end with that I have loved debating with you and we so should debate again soon. Thank you.
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
sure
Posted by crannydebate 5 months ago
crannydebate
It said you were not accepting messages at this time. Maybe we can message each other Friday afternoon/ evening?
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
message me. i want to talk about a next debate we could do
Posted by crannydebate 5 months ago
crannydebate
What do you mean by pm?
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
could you pm me?
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
That's not what I was saying. I'm saying that evidence not proven is not evidence. If we don't know where you got your evidence then it can't be proven to be true. I'm not saying I should win purely because of that.
Posted by crannydebate 5 months ago
crannydebate
Just because you have cited your sources does not mean you have won this debate. I could just site sources and say nothing, but I didn't win.
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
yeah the word limit is a little difficult XD but I have been able to adapt. I usually type pages. but now I can only type paragraphs
Posted by crannydebate 5 months ago
crannydebate
Also, sorry for the small word limit. I have came close to having the same problem.
Posted by Momo12345 5 months ago
Momo12345
If you really looked at it, you would see that that it also gives the statistics on energy drinks and proves how close to everything else it is. which negates what you said.