avamcgee22
cha-the-politician

Should Minors Be Allowed to Purchase M-Rated Games?

Started: 11/19/2015 Category: Games

avamcgee22

Con

A lot of kids I know play M-rated games. This trend seems to start around middle school, which I believe is a giant factor of behavior. Games like Call of Duty and Halo simulate very gory and gruesome situations. Could this be the cause of violence, depression and negative change in children? I think it is clear that the answer is yes. Kids play games AS an actual character, and if they are addicted or into it enough, they feel like their actions are real. Shooting someone is very inappropriate, and if it is simulated as "earning a medal" or "winning" if you destroy multiple people, the player things it is a good thing. Research in Pennsylvania shows that 40% of children who play video games play M rated ones, and 70% of those children recall feeling slight to major aggression after playing 1 or more hours of these games. And for kids who play 4-6 hrs a day, more than "slight" aggression is expected. In conclusion, since the law cannot enforce whether kids play M-rated games, it is beneficial to prevent kids or their parents from purchasing them.
Citations:
"Can A Video Game Lead To Murder?" CBSNews. CBS Interactive, n.d. Web. 18 Nov. 2015. .
cha-the-politician

Pro

Some of the games you listed are totally fine. Which is why I have accepted this debate.

I do not support games like, say GTA for instance. Even if it does not inspire murder, it is just ethically and morally unacceptable to simulate murder of those that protect us. It's a form of extreme disrespect.

I think 'M' should mean discretion, not avoidance, as every child has a different level of psychological maturity, best known by the parent.

BoP is on you.
avamcgee22

Con

As you stated , games like GTA are extremely bad due to the disrespect shown for police. But does that mean that if you're playing Call of Duty or other games against a friend it's okay to shoot them in a game too? Although the character may not look like your friend and is animated, the name, bio and other factors are likely to give a negative attitude against peers. And in games where there is intense blood and gore, the competition can get way out of hand. Kids can verbally abuse each other by sending harmful messages in the game. This is one of the most scary types of cyberbullying, considering you are also fighting an opponent to the death. Also, most M games contain the contents of an R movie. So if you say that a kid of 10 or so can play Halo, they should be able to watch any gory, violent, innapropriate(whether it contains cursing of innapropriate images) and horrifying R-rated movies. Is this REALLY the best thing for kids to grow up watching?
Not to mention the way video games portray women is terrible. From character names, roles and outfits, heroines or super villains are usually shown wearing low tank tops, bathing suits or worse. This gives male kids a mortifying attitude towards the way they portray women. So whether it be COD or GTA, both usually are extremely stereotypical about female characters.
cha-the-politician

Pro

I personally think, again, that it 'M' rated games means discretion needed, and not to be completely forbidden to children.

Say you're playing Call of Duty. If both players are perfectly cool with the concept that they are shooting a video game character, and not themselves, then it's perfectly fine.

The chat function can be used to discuss game strategies etc. The messages can be used to make new friends!

Seriously, how that is used can not be controlled, even in G games. All you need to do is turn the chat off. As I said, parent discretion.

I think you're talking right past me here. Say for instance, GTA. That is a M rated game with contents of a R rated movie. Of course kids shouldn't play it.

But Halo, which is also rate Mature 17+, does not contain graphics much worse than that shown in, say, Jurassic Park or Mission Impossible.

I'm going to say this again, parents know more about their children than big companies, and M rated games should only translate into parent discretion.
avamcgee22

Con

When you say it's the parents decision since they know their kids well, why in the first place should they be letting their kids see R-rated movies and M-rated games ? It's common sense knowing what kind of material should be exposed to kids at a young age. If a parent thinks it's ok, what does that show? Bad judgment, carelessness and incorrect knowledge. If parents think it's ok for kids to play these games in the first place, what does that show about the parent's judgement? If kids are being abused, curse constantly and think that it's ok they should be going to a therapist. I understand if the kid is 14 or so and is extremely mature, that's ok. But if a parent truly believes that ANY child 10 and under should be seeing language blood violence etc., that's just a misunderstanding on the parents part.
Adolescent's years in middle school are fundamental to the brain, when they learn life lessons, deeper topics about the world and more, the brain uses these years to develop. If children are taught that it is ok to shoot someone, their brain will most likely adapt to that. It's the same scenario with the first 3 years of learning.
M games are way that children with abusive or divorced parents get away from life. They feel that they need to put their anger out on a video game instead than face the problem. A lot of kids I know have divorced parents, and I can't help but notice how many apps they own. One kid plays a game similar to COD, but he names the enemies after his friends, mom and dad. Instead of telling them how he feels, he tries to KILL them in a video game. Is this really how kids should view their parents? This can lead to fights, violence and in some cases murder or suicide.
I don't understand how new friends can be made while chatting on M rated games. In Mario it's completely fine because you are trying to have a happy fun time. If a happy fun time includes shooting people, there's a problem. Making friends on video game chats are as dangerous as online when someone random asks you personal info or tells you to meet them somewhere. Making a NEW friend while shooting them and having no idea who they are is dangerous.
cha-the-politician

Pro

cha-the-politician forfeited this round.
avamcgee22

Con

avamcgee22 forfeited this round.
cha-the-politician

Pro

Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
I would like to comment as a former psychology student, that observational learning is only exceptionally prevailant at approximately six years of age. Even children under the age of ten are capable of adopting aesthrtic distance, meaning a child is fully capable of distinguishing games from reality. As teenagers, they develop formal operations intellect and are even further capable of providing these distinctions. Meaning, it is dependent on the child and their individualized, mental maturity. Although at a young age, it has the capability of influencing violence, with real-life models, who encourage peaceful interactions, this is frequently counteracted. Violent, societal acts are the results of imnate mental disorders which were left untreated. Just wanted to clarify that for anyone wondering.
Posted by avamcgee22 1 year ago
avamcgee22
Sorry I had to forfeit round 4, very busy lately.
Posted by cha-the-politician 1 year ago
cha-the-politician
Sorry for forfeiting. I'm just really busy recently.
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
So how exactly is GTA a terrible game? Assuming the player has a sense of aesthetic distance, what is wrong?
Posted by NathanPoole234 1 year ago
NathanPoole234
Video games don't lead to mass murder or murder in general. Its just a thing the news uses to get publicity. Its "ground breaking news!" But in all seriousness have you always heard one thing when video games are blamed? The Perp was either A: Had issues such as anger problems and such. Or B: Was flipping insane.
Posted by avamcgee22 1 year ago
avamcgee22
Okay, the system still hasn't updated for awhile. And we can't vote, so I'll post my "round 4" argument by like Monday in the comments.
Posted by animeboy 1 year ago
animeboy
In Payday The Heist, basically, the only good thing is helping your team mates, that's it. But for games like gta, you can do more than gta. You can practice driving safely. So in some games, it really depends on what you're doing.
Posted by avamcgee22 1 year ago
avamcgee22
That's cool cha-the-politician. Great job so far
Posted by cha-the-politician 1 year ago
cha-the-politician
Sorry for forfeiting, I'll post my argument in the comments soon, I'm kind of busy recently.
Posted by snkcake666 1 year ago
snkcake666
Instigator has proposed a correlation; I hope to witness the experimental accounts and studies concerning this research. Contender's opening statement was somewhat weak, but this may be made up through body arguments. I shall subscribe to this debate. Best of luck to both sides.