TheIdiotDoughnut
AbandonedSpring

Should Nerf Guns Be Banned?

Voting Style: Open Point System: Select Winner

TheIdiotDoughnut

Con

Hello. I would like to start off my argument by saying that the main reason Nerf guns should not be banned is because they are a 'cool' and popular way for kids to be having fun, in the outdoors, without the aid of anything with a screen. It is a fun way for them to get good exercise, and if you wear the glasses that Nerf supply in some boxes, and don't aim in places that will obviously seriously hurt your opponent, you should be fine. the Nerf gun bullets are made out of foam, so, in the unlikely event you do get hurt, the pain will not be too bad and won't last very long. It even says on one of my Nerf dart tag blasters: TO AVOID INJURY: Use only darts designed for this product. Do not modify darts or dart launcher. Always wear vision gear provided. CAUTION: Do not aim at eyes or face. That was a direct quote. In conclusion, Nerf guns are a fun and safe way for kids to have fun and get exercise, without the aid of some machine.I await my opponents response.
AbandonedSpring

Pro

While this is a topic I had never really thought about, I find it interesting, so I wanted to take a shot at it. Since it is extremely vague, I would like to provide my own interpretation: "Nerf guns ought to be banned from the age groups that are below an age where the children can act mature enough to use them".

To begin, I will provide three areas of support, and they will be alphabetized accordingly.

contingency A: Nerf guns provide no real value to the child given to. I would like to provide the counter argument that as a child who grew up with Nerf guns, they provide little to no exercise. That was no ones fault, that's just the nature of the toy.

Contingency B: You know good a well, that just because something has a warning label on it, does not mean it will be followed, especially by an age group that just got back from a hospital trip that resulted from sticking Barbie's shoe up their nose.

Contingency C: Also, I wish to respond to some of your points.

"Hello. I would like to start off my argument by saying that the main reason Nerf guns should not be banned is because they are a 'cool' and popular way for kids to be having fun"

Who defines cool? I suppose crystal meth is pretty cool, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should send my 9 year old son and a group of his friends of with a kilo into the streets.

"and if you wear the glasses that Nerf supply in some boxes"

The fact that you have to add "some" invalidates this argument. If some of the toys come with eye protection, then why are any included at all? By only including protection in some, then basically eye protection is classified as a non-essential.

"TO AVOID INJURY: Use only darts designed for this product. Do not modify darts or dart launcher. Always wear vision gear provided. CAUTION: Do not aim at eyes or face. "

It's great that these are direct quotes, but let's look at the big picture. We have laws in place, however, they are all at some point broken. Just because it it illegal in Texas to murder a person, does not mean it will no happen. At least the law has some form of application via the police force. After the Nerf company gets your product, they couldn't care less where you point it. Those 'stickers' are only there to avoid a law suit when little Timmy blinds Johnny with a modified Nerf bullet.

While I agree, Nerf guns can be a lot of fun, they simply are just not safe for kids of a young age.
TheIdiotDoughnut

Con

Hello again. Well, I guess this is time for round 2!
First of all, I think that Nerf is just too much of a social toy to take off the shelves. You might wonder what I mean by social, but think about it. A very large community exists, called 'Nerfers', and they, as you might have guessed if you didn't already know, are users of Nerf guns. These people are found everywhere, and as such, it is very easy to make friends with one. There will probably be some in your school, or in your town. It is always good to make new friends, and it is very easy to make friends with someone who has the same interests as you! So, talk to people, and lots of people like Nerf, so you could end up making a lot of new friends who have the same interests as you. Talk to people you know, but have not spoken to before. They may surprise you. Secondly, if you use Nerf guns in the right way, running around in a Nerf war perhaps, you are very active , much more active than how most other toys would let you be. It is also true that just because something has a warning label on it, doesn't mean it is 100% safe, but that is not only true for Nerf guns, but all toys. For example, play dough now says at the end of all their adverts: 'fun to play with but not to eat!' does that mean all 3 year olds will necessarily listen? No. It's just a precaution, so at least the more sensible ones do. Also, I would like to go over some of your points.
'Who defines cool? I suppose crystal meth is pretty cool, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should send my 9 year old son and a group of his friends of with a kilo into the streets.' Did you just compare Nerf to drugs? How is taking drugs 'cool'? Everyone thinks different things are 'cool', but quite a lot of kids think guns are cool. now, no-one wants their kid running round with an AK-47, but Nerf has made a safer way to play with dangerous items.

'It's great that these are direct quotes, but let's look at the big picture. We have laws in place, however, they are all at some point broken. Just because it it illegal in Texas to murder a person, does not mean it will no happen. At least the law has some form of application via the police force. After the Nerf company gets your product, they couldn't care less where you point it. Those 'stickers' are only there to avoid a law suit when little Timmy blinds Johnny with a modified Nerf bullet.'

Whilst this is a good point, if someone blinds someone with a Nerf bullet, then they probably didn't follow the safety instructions. As in the quote of last round, it clearly says not to aim at the eyes or face. So, because it says that, you cant really blame Nerf for an accident, especially if the gun has been illegally modded. Also, it doesn't matter why the warnings are there, but they are there. Instructing people to use these blasters safely. Therefore, you can't ban Nerf for someone doing something they themselves have said not to do with their guns.

I look forward to reading your response, and seeing who the winner is!
AbandonedSpring

Pro

Hello, Now, I will organize my arguments into 3 sections once again.

First, wether I know these people or not, it doesn't matter. I am arguing that Nerf guns be banned to certain age groups. What the population of my peers does is up to them, there safety does not concern me.

"Secondly, if you use Nerf guns in the right way, running around in a Nerf war perhaps, you are very active , much more active than how most other toys would let you be. It is also true that just because something has a warning label on it, doesn't mean it is 100% safe, but that is not only true for Nerf guns, but all toys. For example, play dough now says at the end of all their adverts: 'fun to play with but not to eat!' does that mean all 3 year olds will necessarily listen? No. It's just a precaution, so at least the more sensible ones do. Also, I would like to go over some of your points."

Next, let's dissect this argument.

The play-doe argument entertained me, mainly because play-doe is non-toxic. While it's not advised, kids would still be okay if they were to make the sorry mistake of taking a bite out of a play-doe pizza. Now, kids typically only do something once to learn. I'd rather have my son/daughter take a nasty mouthful of play-doe, which I would guarantee he would not swallow, over him losing his cornea any day.

Next,

"'Who defines cool? I suppose crystal meth is pretty cool, but that doesn't necessarily mean I should send my 9 year old son and a group of his friends of with a kilo into the streets.' Did you just compare Nerf to drugs? How is taking drugs 'cool'? Everyone thinks different things are 'cool', but quite a lot of kids think guns are cool. now, no-one wants their kid running round with an AK-47, but Nerf has made a safer way to play with dangerous items."

I thought the crystal meth reference was clever, however, it does strengthen my argument. And by the way, I would totally want my kid to think guns are cool. All I need would be for him to draw a picture of an assault rifle in class, and he'd be suspended for weeks. Also, of course I don't want my kid running around with any type of firearm! However, whether a kid is shot in the eye with a suction cup, or something harder, the consequences are typically blindness.

also, "Whilst this is a good point, if someone blinds someone with a Nerf bullet, then they probably didn't follow the safety instructions. As in the quote of last round, it clearly says not to aim at the eyes or face. So, because it says that, you cant really blame Nerf for an accident, especially if the gun has been illegally modded. Also, it doesn't matter why the warnings are there, but they are there. Instructing people to use these blasters safely. Therefore, you can't ban Nerf for someone doing something they themselves have said not to do with their guns."

Again, like you agreed earlier, warning are easily ignored. Mainly by the kids who would be causing permanent blindness to one-another. Also, I'm still not looking to ban nerf completely, just in kids who aren't mature enough to not shoot each others eyes with arts. What it this age? It could be as low as eight, it all just depends on the maturity of kid. And I can totally blame nerf for that! I can really blame them for what ever I want. Their sweatshops, their inappropriate prices, all these things I can blame them for. Whether I have good reason or not. And in all reality, I'm not even blaming them. I still blame the kids, but they will get hurt if we are not more careful.

Thank you, I am finished.