SegBeg
CatherineMorland

Should Noma Dumezsweni- a black actress have been cast as Hermione in the new Harry Potter play?

Started: 6/13/2016 Category: News

SegBeg

Pro

The first round is for you to introduce yourself. I will be arguing that Noma Dumezsweni's casting as Hermione Granger in the new West End play Harry Potter and the Cursed Child was acceptable
CatherineMorland

Con

Hello
I shall use the pseudonym Catherine Morland from 'Northanger Abbey' by Jane Austen. If you have read the book, you will gain an insight of my personality by understanding Catherine Morland. Obviously due to security reasons I will not reveal my real age (the one I've posted is not my real one)
I shall age that Noma Dumezsweni should not be cast as Hermione in the new Harry Potter play
SegBeg

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate.

First off, I believe there is nothing wrong with Noma Dumezsweni being cast as Hermione Granger in the new Harry Potter play. This is because JK Rowling never really mentioned Hermione's skin colour. Only that she had frizzy hair, buck teeth, brown eyes and was very clever. A white person can be all these things, a black person can have all these things, an Asian person can have all these things. So what is everyone's problem with a black Hermione? I mean if you don't really like it then you are entitled to your own opinion but I cannot tolerate your opinion if you are going to be an obnoxious racist jerk about it (I'm not saying you're one of them though).

However, even if Hermione was depicted as white in the books, changing her ethnicity in the film or the play would not change much because skin colour is VERY insignificant in the Harry Potter series. No one known in the wizarding world is racist. They are all about blood purity-not race. Nevertheless, Hermione's skin colour is irrelevant as it does not change the plot. Even if Hermione was depicted as black in the books and then they changed her to white in the film or play I wouldn't mind because race is so insignificant in Harry Potter.

Anyway. I look forward to hearing otherwise!
CatherineMorland

Con

Now, it's not an issue that a black Hermione has been cast.... I have an issue with Noma Dumezsweni acting skills
why can't an actress like Lupita Nyong'o play Hermione? (look her up) She has that sass and wittiness about her that a character like Hermione Granger requires
SegBeg

Pro

Well I'm not really familiar with Demuzsweni's acting skills but JK Rowling said she was best for the job so that was why he was chosen. I'm not saying she should have got the role just because she's black, all I'm saying is that as long as she's good enough for the part whether white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc she should have the role.
CatherineMorland

Con

Since when did Noma Dumezsweni received a gender change or am I assuming you made a typo and accidentally wrote he...
I never knew J.K Rowling opinion was God-like... the directors are appealing the audience, and therefore the audience should have a say. If the directors are relying on Rowling's opinion that is rather silly as they will not gain the necessary profit due to conflict with their audience.
SegBeg

Pro

Seriously? That was a typo. I obviously meant "she."

I didn't say that the directors should stick only to JK Rowling's opinions. I'm just saying that she- who is the author of the books, thinks that Dumeszweni is the best actress for the job. And besides, why would she get the part if she wasn't good enough? That's kind of a thing in theatre and film: you cast the best actor or actress for the job- not the one you find more attractive.
However I'm not saying that actors cannot be miscast, but most of the time they aren't. It is usually based on one's opinion. When Nikki James played Eponine in Les Miserables on Broadway, many people felt she wasn't right for the role whilst others loved her as Eponine. Some might think that Dumeszweni is not the best actress for Hermione while others think she was amazing. It all comes down to opinion in the end (I mean, unless the actor is OBVIOUSLY terrible in the role but that is normally rare for everyone to hate the actor).
CatherineMorland

Con

CatherineMorland forfeited this round.