quibby17
Ore_Ele

Should Parents Be Allowed Smack/Use Other Harmful Punishments On Children?

Con Tied Pro
Reasons for your voting decision - Required

quibby17

Con

For Years parents have, smacked, slapped and physically harmed their children. New at the start of the new Millennium is it time for a change? I feel that it is as smaller children are often extremely frightened and cannot fight back. Adults are very strong compared to children and often forget so and do not realise how much they are hurting/scaring their children. Children of parents who smack their Children often, sometimes grow up to be the rougher kids hanging around in gangs and torment other kids. Think of it as a type of bullying. Kids o grow up to hate their parents and 'rebel' against them, thus making family time awkward and unnerving.

There are so many other ways of punishing children. Takeing away a possession is one. Making threats to talk to the headteacher/teacher of their school about their behaviour at home is another my mother did this to me as a child and it got me straight!

Parents also tend to get mad at the older kids alot for the things the younger ones have done just because they are the oldest, parents seem to think this is ok, but it's not, it is a big lower of self esteem and makes the child think they have done wrong when they havent and feel bad. Younger kids tend to take advantage of this and do things wrong on purpose just to the older ones in trouble. I and many others I know suffered with this torment through alot through our childhoods and something has to be done.

I am eager to read my opponent's response.
Ore_Ele

Pro

I thank my opponent for starting this debate, and hope that we all learn a little bit from it.

Should parents be allowed to use harmful punishments on children? I would say that entirely depends on the particular punishment, and the reason for it. Obviously I wouldn't support cutting off a child's hand (a harmful punishment) for stealing a neighbor's toy, but I do support paddling (a harmful punishment) and other physical punishments.

First, I believe that we need to define some words.

harm (the root of "harmful") - [1] injury: any physical damage to the body caused by violence or accident or fracture etc. damage: the occurrence of a change for the worse.

Typically, things can be more than just physically harmful (something could be financially harmful, emotionally harmful, pyschologically harmful, etc.), in which case, the first definition is not really accurate, however, since my opponent explicitly mentioned "smacking," I'll assume that my opponent is talking about physical harm. If this is inaccurate, I'll let my opponent clarify.

punishment - [2] the practice of imposing something unpleasant or aversive on a person or animal or property, usually in response to disobedience, defiance, or behavior deemed morally wrong by individual, governmental, or religious principles.

Now, on to my opponent's arguments.

A) "Children of parents who smack their Children often, sometimes grow up to be the rougher kids hanging around in gangs and torment other kids. Think of it as a type of bullying. Kids o grow up to hate their parents and 'rebel' against them, thus making family time awkward and unnerving."

First, I find it odd that the word "often" is immediately followed by "sometimes." I'm not sure how something can be "often sometimes." Second, I would ask for a study that indicates that bullying is caused by physical punishment itself, rather than the mis-use of physical punishment. After all, anything can be mis-used to have negative effects, such as a life raft. That doesn't mean that such things should not be used.

Second, this seems contrary to what we really know. Two of the key factors to bullying and misbehaving are 1) lack of disipline and punishment and 2) improper disipline and punishment [3][4].

Based on this, it seems that the best course of action would be to allow all forms of punishment, including physical, and simply educate parents on what methods work best for what situations.

B) "There are so many other ways of punishing children. Takeing away a possession is one. Making threats to talk to the headteacher/teacher of their school about their behaviour at home is another my mother did this to me as a child and it got me straight!"

What works for you will not work for everyone. And what doesn't work for you may still work for others. This is not a valid reason to take an viable option away from parents.

C) "Parents also tend to get mad at the older kids alot for the things the younger ones have done just because they are the oldest, parents seem to think this is ok, but it's not, it is a big lower of self esteem and makes the child think they have done wrong when they havent and feel bad."

This actually goes back to my argument made to point A. This does not argue for the removal of a punishment type, but for the better education on when to use what punishments.

[1] http://www.google.com...
[2] http://www.google.com...
[3] http://www.timesonline.co.uk...
[4] http://www.disciplinehelp.com...
quibby17

Con

quibby17 forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Pro

Extend arguments.
quibby17

Con

quibby17 forfeited this round.
Ore_Ele

Pro

Sorry about this. I was hoping that based on the open arguments that the individual was going to finish the debate.
Posted by ilovedebate 5 years ago
ilovedebate
con had no evidence to prove that younger kids do more bad stuff because their parents don't get mad at them
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
quibby17Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by boredinclass 5 years ago
boredinclass
quibby17Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: forfeit
Vote Placed by quarterexchange 5 years ago
quarterexchange
quibby17Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: waste of an interesting debate
Vote Placed by Phoenix_Reaper 5 years ago
Phoenix_Reaper
quibby17Ore_EleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clear victory.... I think he became intimidated by OreEle.