randomman22
rellimac

Should Parents Have a Say in Who Their Children Can and Cannot Date?

randomman22

Pro

Round one is for acceptance. I will be arguing the side of pro which means I agree that parents should have a say in their child's relationship. I look forward to debating with whoever accepts.

Rules:
1. No trolling
2. No forfeiting
3. Sources may be left in the comments or at the end of the argument.
4. No late argument submissions. If you try to post any round arguments in the comments, they will be disregarded seeing as they were late.
randomman22

Pro

Thank you for accepting. I am looking forward to debating with you.

This debate will mainly focus on teen relationships (13-17), and if parents should have a say in the relationship decision.

Parents should tell their kids who they can date. If parents have a say in who their children date, then they can prevent their child getting into an abusive relationship, can prevent their child getting into a relationship with someone who is a bad influence on them, and can prevent a relationship that might go too far.
If the parents have a say in who their child dates, then they can prevent their child getting in an abusive relationship. The person their child wants to date could have anger issues that could result in an abusive relationship and harm coming to their child.
The parents can also prevent their child getting into a relationship with a person who is a bad influence on them. If the person the child wants to date is a drug addict or a smoker, or just doesn"t have the best habits, then the parent can say that their child cannot date the person to avoid them picking up bad habits. Children are very impressionable so these habits can be picked up quite easily.
Parents can also prevent a relationship that can go too far. As most teens are experiencing hormone changes during this time, they may have some desires that may not be healthy to their relationship or them as a person. If they do reach this point in their relationship, even if it is consensual, may not be the best thing for them. It could result in teen pregnancy which could be a financial burden on the entire family. Parents, if involved in their child's relationship, could possibly prevent this from happening.
Parents having a say in their child's relationship is important. Thank you!
rellimac

Con

Look forward to it as well.
Parental intervention in teen relationships is probably one of the worst things a parent can do. The teen is going to rebel, probably resent their parents, and do whatever they can to get what they want anyway. It is counter productive. The main part of growing up is making mistakes and learning from them. When you are a teen, you learn what you like and what you don't like and that is an important part of learning what kind of relationship you want to have for the rest of your life, and better prepares you to be on the lookout for a person with your interests in mind.
If the parent is a good parent and does their job, then they will have taught their children well enough to not get themselves in situations that may be detrimental to their future. The kid with this kind of parent is going to be less likely to want to push things and live on the edge. Most kids with strict parents are kids that are most likely to be into things they ought not be because they are going to rebel against their authority at home.
It is all about whether the parent is willing to take the time to teach their children the potential outcomes of their actions, and teach them well. As you say, children are impressionable. Make an impression on them as a parent, teach them well, and they will make less life altering mistakes.
randomman22

Pro

I will now post my rebuttals.

You stated parental intervention is a bad thing. I disagree. Parental intervention in a child relationship is very beneficial. For a parent to be involved in a child's relationship is almost a necessity. If a parent is in the dark about their child's relationship then the parent will not know if their child is in any serious trouble. You also stated that the child real rebel against and resent their parents. The parent can be informed on their child's relationship without actually controlling it altogether. The parent can simply give the child advice instead of actually telling them "No, you can't date this person because I don't like them." Simply give your personal opinion as a parent and hope you're child takes your advice. That is still considered involvement in the relationship.

Thank You.
rellimac

Con

Parental intervention is a bad thing if outright banning the relationship. I guess I should have elaborated. Anyway I am not saying that the parent being in the dark or the parent being there to give advice is a bad thing. In fact the parent would not be doing there job if they did not take at least some interest in the relationship. But this is a debate about whether or not parents should ban the relationship, or at least that was the impression I got coming into this. Involvement in the relationship, however, should be limiting as it could be damaging. My reasons for believing so have already been stated. Ruling with an iron fist, in any case, is not a good thing for a parent to do in their children's lives
randomman22

Pro

I will now post my conclusions. I should have elaborated more on the topic of debate. My apologies.

In conclusion, parent involvement in the relationship of their teen is necessary. The parent should have the authority to end the relationship if need be. Termination of the relationship by the parents should only be executed if valid evidence is presented of abuse or bad habits being picked up such as drugs or smoking. Parents should be able to have a part in the relationship of their child. Whether to give advice or to simply supervise to make sure nothing is happening to their teen that could cause harm to them in the future.

Thank You.
rellimac

Con

rellimac forfeited this round.
Posted by randomman22 1 year ago
randomman22
@DATXDUDE I am mainly talking about teen relationships.
Posted by DATXDUDE 1 year ago
DATXDUDE
It depends on how old you're talking here.