frantheman35
tmar19652

Should Parents be able to control most or all of the actions/priveledges of their children?

tmar19652

frantheman35

Con

In my opinion, parents should give their children some space, as well as letting them grow outside of their control. Although parents should retain some control over their children (especially when it comes to illicit behavior), I still think that the child should be able to make his or her own decisions and choices, and reap the rewards/consequences. Parents should be guides, guiding the children in the right direction, but not making the choices for them.
tmar19652

Pro

As a parent i feed, clothe, and shelter my children. Legally i am responsible for them and therefore i should be able to make all of their choices if i choose to do so. If you wanted to debate parenting strategies you should have worded this argument differently.
frantheman35

Con

frantheman35 forfeited this round.
tmar19652

Pro

Vote pro!
frantheman35

Con

Yes, but by choice parents do these things. and legally, the children still have rights and are protected by the Declaration of Independence, and while they are still minors, they have a form of independence that cannot be taken away. Unless you are in a different country that bypasses these simple freedoms, the children still have the right to do as they wish, without having to worry about a parent's blessing, Obviously this does not prove valid to certain things, such as illegal acts of damage or other malicious acts, but as long as the children are within the law, abiding by their parents is a choice. Technically, the parents don't have to give the children anything, but they choose to. It is not their place to tell them where they can and can't go, and obviously if the children do, the parents will be upset, but legally, they are in the right
tmar19652

Pro

1) "Technically, the parents don't have to give the children anything, but they choose to" This is wrong because if I did not feed or clothe my children I could go to jail for it. So I do have to give my children things.

2)"Yes, but by choice parents do these things. and legally, the children still have rights and are protected by the Declaration of Independence, and while they are still minors, they have a form of independence that cannot be taken away. Unless you are in a different country that bypasses these simple freedoms, the children still have the right to do as they wish, without having to worry about a parent's blessing" Once again this is wrong because if I did not feed or clothe my children I could go to jail for it. So I do have to give my children things.

3)"It is not their place to tell them where they can and can't go, and obviously if the children do, the parents will be upset, but legally, they are in the right" As minors by law children do not have autonomy or the right to make decisions on their own for themselves in any known jurisdiction of the world. Instead their adult caregivers, including parents, social workers, teachers, youth workers, and others, are vested with that authority, depending on the circumstances (http://en.wikipedia.org...'s_rights#United_States_law ). So therefore I have the legal right to tell my child what to do.

Since I did not forfeit any rounds, I should Win Conduct, and since I had the only source, I should Also won sources.
I also dismantled my opponents arguments, so I also win the arguments category.
Posted by tmar19652 4 years ago
tmar19652
I wasnt exactly clear either, I took this debate because it was an easy win.
Posted by DudeWithoutTheE 4 years ago
DudeWithoutTheE
Motion is confusing. It is not clear whether it is asking whether "Parents should control most or all of the actions/privileges of their children" is true, or whether it is a debate between parents being able to control most of them and parents being able to control all of them.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 4 years ago
RoyLatham
frantheman35tmar19652Tied
Reasons for voting decision: The resolution is poorly defined. What exactly is Con intending to be the subject of debate? The only clue is "illicit behavior" is allowed to be controlled. But dangerous or unwise behavior? Pro made a reasonable assumption in asserting parental responsibility. Spelling "privilege" wrong in the resolution is a bad start. Forfeiting is a conduct violation. Sources were not significant.