gators43776
jo154676

Should Penn State have made it into the College Football Playoff?

Started: 12/31/2016 Category: Sports

gators43776

Pro

I think Penn State should have made it into the College Football Playoff because they won the Big 10! If you lose your conference you should not be in the College Football Playoff which is exactly what happened to Ohio State!
jo154676

Con

I believe that Ohio state should have made the playoff. The job of the committee should not be to pick the winners of the conferences, rather they should pick the four best teams in the league.

I am now going to throw a hypothetical at pro, Let us say that Penn State wins the big 10 next year going 10-2, do they deserve to get in over a team that goes 11-1 in the sec only losing to undefeated alabama in the championship game. Who belongs to get in more? I would say the Sec school, as I want the 4 best resumes to make the game, so we can see the best playoff possible.
gators43776

Pro

Yes the 4 best teams but Penn State beat OSU in the regular season and they won the Big 10! If you mean the top 4 teams by record shouldn't West Michigan be in the playoff then? Well yes it's strength of schedule but Penn State was the best Big 10 team so they should have been in!
jo154676

Con

Penn state did beat ohio state but they also had 2 losses, one of them to unranked Pittsburgh. Ohio state also had impressive wins against top 10 teams such as nebraska, wisconsin, oklahoma and michigan.

When I say top 4 teams I do not mean the teams with the 4 best records, I mean the four best teams which is judged by record, strength of schedule, and common opponents. Ohio state only had one loss to Penn state, and penn state had 2 losses. Ohio state had a tougher non conference schedule as they faced ranked Oklahoma. Penn state lost to Michigan who Ohio State beat.
gators43776

Pro

Yes Penn State had 2 losses but they also had impressive wins! Penn State did lose to Pitt but guess who else lossed to them?Clemson!!!! Did you see Washington's strength of schedule? Their hardest game? Stanford which they won by 38 points but they lost to USC! Ohio State won by only 1 point to msu! MSU! 3-9 lost to Maryland MSU! And by seven to Wisconsin which should have had a better chance to get in the playoff then osu!
jo154676

Con

"Penn state had impressive wins" Their non conference, which is important when you have to judge between teams in the same conference who play similar teams, was an absolute joke Kent state, Pitt and temple? No ranked teams overall pretty weak. The only impressive in conference wins they had were ohio state and wisconsin, while Ohio state had wins against oklahoma, wisconsin michigan and nebraska.

You then switch up the argument and mention Washington, which ruins your own argument as they were the conference champion plus they beat 3 ranked teams compared to Penn states 2.

No matter how you want to twist it, Penn state did not deserve to be in the college playoff this year, maybe next year.
Posted by jo154676 1 year ago
jo154676
I like kansas lol but idc
Posted by gators43776 1 year ago
gators43776
Oh if you like Maryland no offense i just said that as an example because msu should have won that and i even like Maryland so yea!