Should People Be Judged By Their Religion?

People shouldn't be judged for whatever religion they believe in, so why do people do that? They make fun of them for believing things that they think is ridiculous. Why did Jews and Christians have to be killed in the earlier times?

"People shouldn't be judged for whatever religion they believe in, so why do people do that?"

OK, well first, let's define "judge", "judged" and "judging"

Judge: "form an opinion or conclusion about." (I used google definition)
Judged: Sam as above
Judging: Same as above

So let's break your argument down; You say that people should not make an opinion or form a conclusion about people who believe in religion. Am I right so far?

"They make fun of them for believing things that they think is ridiculous."

This is not judging, this is harassment or ridicule. "Judge" and "Ridicule" are not synonymous.

"Why did Jews and Christians have to be killed in the earlier times?"

I'm not sure what you mean by this. How is this related to judging people for their religion?

The question is "Should people be judged by their religion"

Or in other words "Should people form opinions about other people based on their religion"

This is subjective. Anyone can form an opinion about anything, which is judging. You seem to think judging is on par with ridicule, but it is not. Therefore, people should be free to judge and form opinions about anyone, including religious people.

It's all a form of judging - normally judging comes first into minds, which then leads to some sort of harrassment.

When you say "It's all a form of judging" you have to be specific. I think you mean "form" as "type", which it isn't as the definitions I gave clearly show.

Judging is forming an opinion. Technically, I can judge the colour red: I think it's the best colour ever.

I can also judge religious people: Religious people suck (this is just an example)

Therefore, the way you judge something or someone is subjective to that person. To say that it is wrong to form opinions about someone/something is ridiculous and also judging.

Though judging CAN turn into prejudice and harassment, to say that is what normally happens would be generalising and opinionated.
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
>Reported vote: Sarai.K82// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Con (Arguments, Sources). I found one grammatical error on the part of con and thus awarded the point for spelling and grammar to pro, who I found as the more articulate debater. Now in terms of argument, pro tried to re-frame the debate by defining judge and judging in their neutral sense. Frankly, I think it was clear that con intended for the debate to be framed as judging in a negative sense (e.g., teasing, harassment, killing). It was fair of con to attempt this though and it was up to con to defeat the attempt. So while I agree with con's side of the debate, I found pro more convincing in this context.

[*Reason for removal*] The voter needs to do more than just nit-pick for S&G. The presence of a single error is insufficient for awarding this point " it has to be very common and make for difficult reading.
Posted by carterlp 12 months ago
Ridiculed would be a better word to use. In no way are religious people inferior to anyone else. Everyone is entitled to an opinion
Posted by TimHawks 12 months ago
I think it is fair enough to judge someone by either their religious views or lack thereof. I would not say that it is fair to deny someone fundamental and human rights based upon their religious views. To inform you on the issues between religions and why so many have been killed, I would pose the thought that this really has little to do with the religions, themselves. As anything, people who are in power tend to try to justify their actions and use whatever means they can to manipulate situations. When you study the individual instances of religious persecution, you will find that, often, the leaders responsible for them were looking for a reason to fight someone. Religion simply provided an easy excuse.
Posted by jessuchimaki 12 months ago
Posted by AWSM0055 12 months ago
I'll debate you if you reinstate the debate please?