ZachyDiz
gagekilmer

Should People Drop the Term "Retarded"

ZachyDiz

Pro

My side on this is that people should drop the term retarded while talking and fooling around with friends. People call this one another does something stupid or doesn't understand something, and it is highly offensive to the people who are actually mentally retarded.

The first round will be for accepting and your view, as I did. The middle rounds will be for arguing our case, and the last round will basically be closing arguments during a trial, reviewing points and trying to get the voters on your side.

Thank you to the Con in advance and I look forward to debating this topic with you!
gagekilmer

Con

Its a difficult topic to argue, because I dont personally agree with my side, however I pride myself on being able to argue both sides so I accept your debate, and cant wait to start
ZachyDiz

Pro

The first point I will like to make is that the kids and adults that are mentally challenged are officially called retarded. The doctors use that term to describe the patients behavior. My problem is that I see more kids using that term out of context. I feel that using the word retarded is a big offense to the people that actually are. As I stated in the first round, kids use the term more frequently when their friend does something stupid. I'm wondering that why does the term retarded have to get brought into the conversation. There are many different types of phrases they could use to express their feelings, such as idiot, or stupid, or dumb. Retarded is really offensive and makes sick to my stomach whenever I hear it used that why. Retarded should be a term only to describe patients that are diagnosed with being mentally challenged.
gagekilmer

Con

Although the term "retarded" was initially intended as a medical term for mentally disabled people, the meanings of words can change over time, due to other uses. The word retarded, obviously is a form of the word "retard", which is defined:
a. a mentally retarded person.
b. a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective in some way: a hopeless social retard.

Although the first definition matches your viewpoint, it is not the sole definition, the latter of which can be used to accurately describe someone who has made a mistake, or a faulty decision, and as such the action itself can be referred to as "retarded"

I await your response.

sources: dictionary.reference.com
ZachyDiz

Pro

ZachyDiz forfeited this round.
gagekilmer

Con

My opponent has failed to dispute my argument and has forfieted the round

VOTE CON
ZachyDiz

Pro

ZachyDiz forfeited this round.
gagekilmer

Con

my opponent has forfeited once again

VOTE CON
ZachyDiz

Pro

ZachyDiz forfeited this round.
gagekilmer

Con

gagekilmer forfeited this round.