espnfan54
Dan0303

Should People With Genetic Diseases Be Forbidden To Reproduce?

espnfan54

Pro

Recognizing that the aforementioned 'genetic diseases' only constitute those that are genetically inheritable by the children of the afflicted individual.
The act of discouraging reproduction amongst individuals who suffer from genetic disorders is usually accomplished through chemical castration at birth.
I shall carry the role of PRO, or supporting that genetically ill individuals should be forbidden, in this case actively prevented, from reproducing and adding more genetically ill members of the population into the human gene pool.
The format of the debate shall be four rounds for arguments and the purpose of each side making their case. The final round is for closing statements.
Dan0303

Con

this isnt going to be very interesting as i realised the amount of rounds but i shall take up the against side.

i just believe that even though people have genetic diseases that they should still be allowed to procreate as it is their choice on what they will do in life.
espnfan54

Pro

However, in procreating, these genetically ill individuals are knowledgeably spreading the risk of their offspring being born genetically ill as well. If people knowledgeably spread an illness, like an STD for instance then they are typically reviled. Why is it not the same in this case as well?
Dan0303

Con

you make a good point, however this is very similar to what i am trying to say yes they are reviled but they do it none the less. The thing is every human on the planet earth has the option to do as they will. Trying to prevent people from procreating goes against basic human rights. Nobody can stop anybody from doing anything, Tell someone not to do something they immediately want to do it.
espnfan54

Pro

In most countries that is true, but even if we can"t force them to, if we had a choice, then the option should be to ban people from reproducing who have genetic diseases. The world population is supposed to skyrocket according to the UN .
http://www.un.org...
The point is, with resources decreasing and populations increasing, shouldn"t we doing all we can to sustain our current resources? By having lower populations, we can keep more resources. The chances that a person suffering from a genetic disease would give their kid the disease if they were to have one is around 50%.
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov...
I acknowledge the amount of people with genetic diseases isn"t terribly high but still, the fewer the better.
Dan0303

Con

Dan0303 forfeited this round.
espnfan54

Pro

My opponent has been shown different pieces of evidence that I use to support my argument and I acknowledged that what I am arguing for isn't realistic, but if it were to come up as an issue, that the most logical stance is to forbid people suffering from genetic diseases to not be allowed to reproduce. I have clearly won this argument.
Dan0303

Con

Dan0303 forfeited this round.
espnfan54

Pro

With my opponent forfeiting this argument for the 2nd time, I say this debate is over.
Dan0303

Con

Dan0303 forfeited this round.
Posted by SophiaPneuma 1 year ago
SophiaPneuma
I have always found it odd that we accept the right to reproduce as an unquestioned human right. IN spite of the planet being well past it's carrying capacity, nobody wants to be the one to say the obvious, that is, that we need to limit reproduction. It is hard not to take the role of villain, when arguing for population control.

Another issue on the line is the right to informed consent. Does a perspective mother or father have the right to know if they are about to reproduce with somebody that has a 50% chance of passing a genetic defect to their children. Do they have the right to make that choice for their child?