Sidnix111
marathonmalachi

Should Person of Interest be cancelled?

Sidnix111

Con

Person Of Interest is the best show on television right now. Even if its ratings have fallen, it has much better ratings than CSI, CSI Cyber and many other crime solving shows. You can say that this show might be the first of its kind. Even though it has been renewed for the 5th season, only 13 episodes have been authorized. Even that is not the appropriate tribute to such a great series. The suspense, the technology, the charm of Person of Interest is almost unmatched. Some people might say that the writing standard has fallen, but the way Samaritan's reputation and danger has been uplifted, it almost seems unbeatable and indestructible. That requires some skill. So I personally believe 12 million viewers are quite a lot.
marathonmalachi

Pro

I accept...
Though I personally love POI (Person of Interest), there are many practical reasons for its cancellation by the network. First of all, there is the issue of ratings. According to a news article written before its renewal was announced, ratings were shown to have dropped dramatically. The number of viewers for the first episode of season 4 was 10.7 million. The finale of that season was short 2.5 million viewers with 8.2 million tuning in. http://tvseriesfinale.com...
For a season finale this was an especially disappointing number of viewers. NCIS had 14 million tune in.http://tvseriesfinale.com... Blue Bloods ended with 11 million. http://tvseriesfinale.com... These, among other shows, are crime/action dramas that are able to retain a higher viewing than POI.

I also believe that POI has suffered as a result of the actors they have let go. In season 3, Taraji Henson's character, Joss, was killed. This, unfortunately caused the show to lose many viewers. Now, Sarah Shahi has been forced to leave the show, at least temporarily. This is only going to cause viewership to decrease and put more of a strain on the financial backing required to keep the show afloat.

Finally, there is argument regarding the show's plot. In the finale, we were left with Elias and Dominic dead, Samaritan removing those threatening it such as Control, and Reese, Finch, and Root in a gunfight with the machine uploaded to a small hard drive. Once the threat of Samaritan is removed, or for some sick reason the heroes fail, there will simply be no story left. They have already explored the subplot of crime bosses such as Dominic and Elias. Corrupt cops have been dealt with to the fullest. The protagonists have faced a serial killer. They have had an episode that occurs on an airplane. John has allowed himself to care in a capacity a sociopath is not capable of not once, but twice. There is simply no other way the writers and creators of this show could take the story without it becoming either nonsensical or drawn out.
Sidnix111

Con

Well since you've given me the sources ( for that I thank you and of which I already know of) i'll use your own source to tell you that shows which have lower viewership have been renewed for a whole season, whereas POI has been renewed for only 13 episode. The same happened with The Mentalist and the next year it was cancelled. Now the lower viewership shows such as NCIS : LA and 2 Broke Girls have been renewed. Really, CBS chose 2 Broke Girls over POI?? But that's OK as POI isn't exactly CBS', its WB's. But Sarah Shahi is returning to POI next season. ( Probably).
Now for the plot. With Samaritan looking at Finch and the others' every move it is going to be difficult to get The Machine out of the suitcase. Even if they do, The Machine will not have the national feeds. The one person who wanted The Machine to have the feeds instead of Samaritan is also captured by Samaritan. So rebuilding The Machine could easily take up one season, and perhaps then killing Samaritan one and for all could be another. But putting it into one 13 episode season would be rushing it and would not be able to give a proper ending and tribute to the man in the suit and to the man in the glasses.
Then another idea could be Greer being betrayed by Samaritan and wanting revenge. So there are many ideas which can be used to take the series forward, without making look drawn out. They've already done the hard part. They have shown the power of Samaritan in such a way that it looks and feels unbeatable. So another 2 to 3 seasons can be taken in this story line itself. So why the need to cancel it?
POI is an acquired taste. My father didn't like it so much. Whereas the rest of us enjoy it a lot. So for such a series to gt 9 million viewers is really good. And when WB is continuing to fund it, what is the need for a reduced season?
And as far as your argument is concerned, I didn't quite understand the part where you say " The protagonists have faced a serial killer." Who is the serial killer?"
marathonmalachi

Pro

I'll address the question about the serial killer first. I was naming different plot devices they've used for each individual subplot. I looked up the specific episode name and it is Proteus. They receive six numbers from the machine and find one man that kills people and assumes their identity. It was not a part of the major plot, just one of those episodes in which the major story arc does not progress while they search for an irrelevant number. Ever since the birth of Samaritan, these insignificant stories have almost disappeared. It seems that everything pertains to the major story arc now. As a result of this removal of 'unnecessary episodes', or those not pertaining to the overall story arc, there should be a much quicker resolution. In season four, there were a total of 22 episodes. In that short amount of time Samaritan was launched, they received new identities, they discovered regions of the city outside of Samaritan's influence, they found a covert communications network to use, the Nautilus game takes place, Reese saved Elias's hide from Dominic, Samaritan possessed a small boy to talk to the Machine, Fusco uses a wingman(that episode was hilarious), the stock market plunges, we get an in depth look at the Machine's method of finding the best course of action, Shaw is captured by the enemy, John and Root go nuts searching for her, they find a town under Samaritan's complete control, they meet Harper whose con abilities help them later on, the search for Shaw in a mental hospital, the Machine gives herself up, Elias and Dominic finally face off, and finally we had the epic season finale. If all this can be covered in 23 episodes, it would be hard to see a plot extension longer than the given 13. From the perspective of CBS, there is very little hope of the show going anywhere for longer than that. From their perspective, POI should be cancelled. Now, that does not mean the show can't continue. In an interview I read recently, I couldn't find the article unfortunately, a producer says that POI will always have a home, whether it be CBS or elsewhere.
Sidnix111

Con

I guess it would be hard for the series' season 5 to be more that 13 episodes. But it doesn't need to be cancelled and I don't think it will be. As you said, even if CBS cancels it , it can find another home. And I doubt that any company would let this series go without a fight.
Now even if they did all that what you said in 23 episodes, it would be pretty hard to squeeze the rebirth of The Machine and the ending of Samaritan in one season. Greg Plageman and Jonah usually give a back story for every major character in the story. So it would be highly unlikely that they would go without the back story of Samaritan, how it was created and what kind of difficulties Arthur faced while building it.
And, then there comes the actual battle with Samaritan. If this is all to be squeezed into 13 episodes, one would expect Samaritan to go down without a fight which is impossible or rather highly unlikely. And may I remind you there is no Machine to help Root or the others gather the ingredients for the recipe of its revival. So, any how, this season is however going to be drawn out.
And as far as the hope in the future, the writers of POI have always impressed so, we never know what they could pull off.
For me, I would love the Machine to turn on Admin. i.e Harold.
It would be interesting which side Root would take.
And I can't see Pro addressing the renewal of NCIS : LA for a whole season, and the hated 2 Broke Girls.
http://www.usatoday.com...
marathonmalachi

Pro

I will concede your point about the back stories. The writers are quite fond of that. I just don't think CBS will see it as valuable enough to give them more episodes and seasons. Sorry for not addressing NCIS and 2 Broke Girls in the last round. As far as NCIS is concerned, though ratings dropped considerably it still remained the most watched show on television. It's past success gives them reason to believe it can recover from a one season slump. Unfortunately, POI's ratings have been steadily dropping since season 2. 2 Broke Girls did have low ratings, but it also appears to have had a strong track record in the past. You were certainly correct in saying POI is an acquired taste. I think this because of the many aspects of society, politics, emotion, and free will that are delved into. POI seems to deep for the average viewer who just wants entertainment. It may be too much thinking is involved when watching the show.
Sidnix111

Con

The back story is not valuable enough to make a whole season let alone another one. I agree. But when you say that NCIS : LA and I do not mean NCIS, is the most watched show on TV or atleast more popular, I beg to differ. POI is the 7th most popular TV show of CBS after The Big Bang Theory, HIMYM, Criminal Minds, The Mentalist, The Good Wife and NCIS. Which makes it the 5th most successful crime fighting drama . NCIS LA is just a step lower. And don't get me started about 2 Broke Girls. I admit they do have a good track record, and so did POI for the first two seasons. And all fans of TV and POI , including you, I bet will be hoping for a comeback in the viewership quota. With the battle of Samaritan ahead, there will be quite an increase in the ratings and viewership. Well, I thank you for such a good debate.
marathonmalachi

Pro

I will keep my conclusion short and sweet. Though there are routes the writers could go for POI, I still do not believe that from the network's perspective it would be worth the risk to renew it. Perhaps if ratings go up for the next thirteen episodes they will decide to continue it. Well, this has been a very enjoyable debate. Thank you!
Posted by Sidnix111 1 year ago
Sidnix111
Well, maybe he can start shooting people dead, in the next season...
Posted by n7 1 year ago
n7
John Reese can only shoot so many knee caps per season. He shot too many in season 4 so season 5 has to be shortened.