GrimesGirl123
CookieMonster9

Should Prayer Be Allowed In School?

CookieMonster9

GrimesGirl123

Pro

In my opinion, schools should allow open prayer during the school day. Some schools do not even allow children to state their religion. This is a violation of our First Amendment's Freedom of Religion. If you do not agree, I would love to hear your side of the argument. Please, feel free!
CookieMonster9

Con

Let's get things straight.Now when I accepted this, it does not mean I'm not religious. I also do think that there is a right to pray, but not open prayer. For one some people feel awkward when there is someone right next to them praying to god because they may not believe in god. Also there may be bully problems for the person who is praying to god, like say someone who hates god. I do believe in prayer, just not open prayer, which you said in round one. I hope that we can have a good debate.
GrimesGirl123

Pro

I get what you're saying, but if a person feels awkward about sitting next to someone praying, just don't sit next to them. I also don't see why anyone should be afraid to speak their mind about their religion. Bullying is a huge problem, yes, and some of it does come from praying openly. But all the same, as I said, children should not have to be afraid of the bully because they are praying. If someone wants to pray during lunch or before a test, I say all the more power to them. I do that!
CookieMonster9

Con

I get what your saying, but when you get put in a class you don't get the option where you sit, so you don't have the option of moving while a kid is saying a prayer. I also don't think that people have a right to say a prayer while people who don't believe in prayer are having to listen to the person. Think of it like this. Say that your eating lunch and someone right next to you is calling his buddy and saying "hey bud I think god is stupid". And when you ask him to stop he says that he can if he wants to. I get that a prayer is not like that but it's pretty close to someone who doesn't believe in god. A prayer is so wonderful, but there are some people who just feel awkward around it and I think that they should have a right to not have to move to another table or whatever just because someone is saying things that they don't believe in. Instead of a public prayer they should have a prayer in their heart, or the person who is saying the prayer should go somewhere where the people who feel awkward don't have to move and so the person can be in peace from all the noise of the world, because trust me, I bet if you ask everyone in that big cafeteria to be quiet so you can have a prayer they are not going to listen.
GrimesGirl123

Pro

Cookie, as you said, Prayer is not like that at all. I see what you're trying to get at, I really do. But I just don't agree with you. No one is going to want to ask everyone else in a cafeteria to be quiet so you can pray. Whisper a prayer, speak in normal language, it doesn't matter. Some people don't like it when others pray. It doesn't matter. Suck it up. It's a public place. These kids have their own rights and opinions, and the right to speak their mind. It's simple.
CookieMonster9

Con

There may be free rights and you can do whatever you want. Except that I noticed in round one you said "In my opinion, schools should allow open prayer during the school day." I don't know about you or the voters, but when I hear open prayer I think of someone saying it in a normal voice, not a whisper. Also you said "Some people don't like it when others pray. It doesn't matter. Suck it up." Really. Suck it up. Tell the voters and me the truth about this. If you were at school and a Muslim was praying to Allah in his or her form of prayer, would just suck it up while the person was doing their rituals or prayer that made you feel awkward?! Would you just say that it "doesn't matter" that this guy is making you feel awkward because he or she is doing things that your not used to! I have been to a dinner with a family that was not my religion, and when they prayed for their food I'll admit, I felt awkward while they were saying words that I didn't understand. So as I end this round I ask you to answer my question I gave you and I want to say that I am sorry if you we're offended at the things that I said.
GrimesGirl123

Pro

GrimesGirl123 forfeited this round.
CookieMonster9

Con

I really don't have anything else to say. So now it's time for the voters. Voters, I know that most of you think that prayer should be allowed, but really look at this debate, and actually understand what I'm saying. Just don't vote because your Christian or whatever. If you vote for Pro's side, make a comment and answer the question that I gave Pro. Now it's your turn voters.
Posted by CookieMonster9 1 year ago
CookieMonster9
This is also an argument with if the government is based on religion or not. When America was made the founding fathers had to decide that there would be no religion involved in the making of the country. If you allow prayers it's just going to give another excuse for more to go into school. For me it's just say a prayer in your head you don't need to say one out loud. School is supposed to be a place where kids can feel comfortable and be able to learn, and for some kids that may be awkward if before a test someone next to them says a prayer out loud.
Posted by macaztec 2 years ago
macaztec
Right. I actually have no issue with someone praying out loud as far as my concern. But I can see where it would bother someone . The thing is that all the peoe that say they want sanctioned prayer in school....really don't. And if there was sanctioned prayer they would quickly become offended.
Posted by CookieMonster9 2 years ago
CookieMonster9
I don't have a problem with praying, people can pray in their head. My problem is when they bow their head and start praying out loud.
Posted by macaztec 2 years ago
macaztec
"It's called the first amendment."

It is called the First Amendment. Let's look at it: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There is no law that prevents you from praying in school. There is nothing that says that you can not, if you want to, bow your head and pray before a test or before you eat your lunch.

Public schools are state sponsored. They are funded by money from the government. Teachers are government employees. It is quite unconstitutional to force a student to pray against their wishes and religious beliefs or to force them to sit in a class room where that prayer is being forced upon them.

No one is saying that you can not pray in school. All they are saying is that no one can have another's religion forced upon them.
Posted by CookieMonster9 2 years ago
CookieMonster9
There may be a right to say what you want, but there isin't a right to leave the school if you feel awkward.
Posted by GrimesGirl123 2 years ago
GrimesGirl123
Ozzyhead, that's the thing I'm trying to get at. Prayer should be sanctioned by schools. It's called the first amendment.

Sorry if I'm coming off rude, I don't mean to :3
Posted by Zacharias 2 years ago
Zacharias
Every child has a right to worship Satan all mighty at there place of work
Posted by Ozzyhead 2 years ago
Ozzyhead
Prayer is allowed, just not sanctioned by schools
Posted by Dilara 2 years ago
Dilara
I agree
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
GrimesGirl123CookieMonster9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con used the same line of reasoning used by courts in resolving the issue of school prayer. Young people in particular are subject to social pressure, so open prayer --mean in a mixed group of believers and non-believers-- leads to ostracism of those who elect not to pray. Pro seemed to pretty much concede. If I were Pro I would have argued that good outweighs the harm, but I think the Con argument actually prevails. Pro loses the conduct point for forfeiting. Conduct is preserved by saying "pass" rather than forfeiting. Good, thoughtful debate.
Vote Placed by The_Gatherer 2 years ago
The_Gatherer
GrimesGirl123CookieMonster9Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro FF. Con had better arguments for his case.