0K0
anitajasmine

Should Prisoners have the Right to Vote?

Started: 12/6/2010 Category: News

0K0

Pro

I am interested in the debate over whether it is right the prisoner's should have the right to vote.
My argument is that Prisoners should have the right to vote becuase it is a human right and once we begin taking away human rights where can we draw the line? If we assume the belief that someone forfits their human rights when convicted of a crime, what is protecting prisoners from unjust treatment and torture?

This is my first argument, but I am interested in how other people feel on this issue.
anitajasmine

Con

firstly i would like to thank my opponent for allowing me to debate. According to Ghandi Mahatma:all crime is a kind of disease and should be treated as such.Prisoner:is a person incarcerated in a prison or jail for violating a 'FEDERAL LAW'.prisoners commit crime.while incarcerated or while serving any part of their sentence such as parole or probation a convicted felon may not vote.in many states once you have completed your sentence and are once again a tax paying citizen you can vote.for example;south carolina. My opponent stated that not allowing them to vote is an unjust treatment and a torture.prisoners banned from voting does not kill them either,it is one part of a package of measure that exclude prisoners from normal society,thereby discouraging law breaking.NGO's and statutory prison inspection bodies ensure that they are not ill-treated. Good luck!!!!!
0K0

Pro

0K0 forfeited this round.
anitajasmine

Con

Since my opponent forfeited her round then i still have to prove a prisoner's right to vote could be in some cases taken away but only in the limited scenario,where a prisoner was detained as a result of the abuse of a public position or a threat to undermine the rule of law.I do not think they should be allowed to vote,the simple reason being that the VAST MAJORITY of the prisoners will be 'persuaded' to whom to vote for by prison officials who have in turn been PAID to get as many votes from the convicts as possible.And so what happens in the end? We get even worst 'leaders' than we already have.Most prisoners in Africa are not charged to court to know whether their guilty or not.Looking at it critically,i will state that right to vote should not be extended to them,WHILE in prison.They lost right when they went to JAIL.
0K0

Pro

0K0 forfeited this round.
anitajasmine

Con

Since by opponent could not finish what she started,i will help her to do that by still on my stands that prisoners should not be given right to vote.For a prisoner to be sentenced he/she must have INFRINGED on other people's rights and it amazes me that the same offender will be demanding for human rights,the main aim of being a prisoner is to EXCLUDE u from the society and i do not think you should be part of what is going on in the society at the same time you are in prison,regardless whether it is election or not. In Uganda,prisoners have the following rights;Accommodation,Clothing and Bedding,Access to medical care,Right to food.Section 69 of prisons Act provides that'a prisoner shall be provided with NUTRITIOUS food,water and medical attention,that is ENOUGH for crimes they commited.Reference:WWW.AFRICARELATED.COM. Few prisoners earn enough to be liable for taxation.In any case the right to vote does not follow from the obligation to pay tax,in some countries people earn money an
Posted by 0K0 6 years ago
0K0
Yes, I would like to retry this debate, do I start a new one to do this?
Posted by anitajasmine 6 years ago
anitajasmine
i could not finish my debate because the box was too small to contain my words and could not shorten it either.
Posted by JuicyBabe13 6 years ago
JuicyBabe13
What a WASTE of a debate. Instigator, would you like to retry this debate if you ever come back?
Posted by anitajasmine 6 years ago
anitajasmine
my opponent is not responding.i have been waiting for hours.......
Posted by Zabcheckmate 6 years ago
Zabcheckmate
I may be interested in debating this, but I want to make sure we understand each other...

- Is your debate, "EVERY prisoner should have the right to vote WHILE in prison"? (As opposed to a debate about felon disenfranchisement)

- Do you want to set this debate in the United States?

I just want to make sure that you are talking in absolute sense, and that this isn't just a debate about the general case, but about every prisoner in the system, while they are in the system.
Vote Placed by DeafAtheist14 6 years ago
DeafAtheist14
0K0anitajasmineTied
Vote Placed by Zabcheckmate 6 years ago
Zabcheckmate
0K0anitajasmineTied