12sonic3
DeltaMed910

Should Professional athletes be considered as Role models

DeltaMed910
Started: 9/2/2015 Category: Sports

12sonic3

Pro

Each kid should follow their dream as being a professional player. Whether they want to be or not, they are role models. They also a great example of following their dream to do something they love and are good at and succeeding at their dream.
DeltaMed910

Con

Just for clarification, "role models" in general, or role models for kids? Please define that in your speech.
I'll be able to debate either definition.
Thanks.
12sonic3

Pro

Should a Professional athlete be considered a Role Models? Yes, because every kid should deserve what they wanted to become. Its like a guide that helps lead them to success.
DeltaMed910

Con

Very nice constructive case.

Expecting athletes to be role models is simply unrealistic. I am not sure why we expect an exceptional athlete to be an exceptional person. Maybe it is because the professional athlete's skills are so extraordinary, it seems natural to expect this ability to apply to all aspects of the person. Maybe it is because the professional athlete is a hero and we expect our heroes to be beyond reproach. Athletes may not want to be role models or be ready for this responsibility. It is unfortunate that the great physical ability that allows an athlete to reach the professional level is seldom matched with an equal measure of poise and maturity. Because pro athletes are spoiled, they feel they aren't accountable for their behaviors off the field. They're so used to people looking the other way. Kids pick athletes as role models because they win. We must teach children that a hero on the field isn't always a hero off the field.

Thanks.
12sonic3

Pro

When becoming a Role Model it requires a lot of Responsibility to show the people of a good example of respect and giving kids to have an opportunities of becoming an professional athletes one day.
DeltaMed910

Con

My opponent has fallen under the logical fallacy of "begging the question", or in other words, answering a question with the prerequisites for the question to occur. In this case, my opponent makes the point "role models can be athletes, and athletes want to be models". Sadly, this is not true. This reasoning is tautological and is circular.

Even then, not all athletes become athletes to solely become a role model. They become one because they love the sport and the paycheck has at least 6 zeroes. This shouldn't be the definition of a role model. As I have shown in my previous argument, athletes aren't always the knights in shining armor as they appear to be on the field (in fact, one might consider their true "mettle AND metal" not tested). Athletes are not accountable, responsible, nor any other trait that makes them a model to follow. They only win. All they have are skills and having a certain set of skills does not make that person a good role model for malleable young children.
12sonic3

Pro

Every kid deserve a future of what they wanted to become, Have you seen in Olympics and other sports, they all have show a great model, in which case they all share the same similarity with other people around them.

PS: Will you accept my friend request.
PPS: You are very good at debating.
PPPS: I'm only year 7, will you help me develop my debating skills
Thank
DeltaMed910

Con

First of all, thank you for your kind words. You are not a bad debater yourself, especially one that is 6 years younger than me.
But let's get to business.

Every kid DOES deserve a future of what they want to become. I'm not arguing against that, and yes, I've seen the Olympics. Role models don't mean muscles, they don't mean perfect dribbling skills. They're about something more, something deeper. Responsibility. Leadership. Kindness. And those aren't things we often see in athletes, hell, they'll break all three of them to get a gold medal and the winner's bonus. Instead we see those values in people we overlook. Our parents. Our friends. Our teachers. I would like to end with a quote from the Dark Knight:

"He's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight." - Lt. James Gordon

12sonic3

Pro

12sonic3 forfeited this round.
DeltaMed910

Con

PRO has forfeited the last round. By the laws of debate and common sense, CON takes the debate.

gg
Posted by Ariskalavros 1 year ago
Ariskalavros
I think professional athletes should be role models, because except for their strong body and their excellent ability in their sports, they also aspire the principles of athletism and they can easily transmit them to the young athletes. Furthermore, they inspire
young children to follow their favourite sports and give them motivation to try hard in order to succeed!!!
Posted by 12sonic3 1 year ago
12sonic3
For clarification this is based on kids that could be a Role Model one day. Thx for asking
Posted by soccerisfun 1 year ago
soccerisfun
I'd be willing to accept.
Posted by TubOLard 1 year ago
TubOLard
This "role model" thing is silly. Role models are parents, teachers, preachers, siblings, counselors, etc. Athletes are entertainers who get paid to entertain you. They are not your caretaker. It's also silly in the sense that Michael Jordan's experience is so far removed from the average person.

People need to stop looking to government, athletes, and everybody else to do their job. Your job as a parent is to raise your kids. It's not the job of the home run king. Do your damn job. Stop whining about the 19 year old basketball player who you find disappointing because the media told you so.
Vote Placed by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
12sonic3DeltaMed910Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by Unbelievable.Time 1 year ago
Unbelievable.Time
12sonic3DeltaMed910Tied
Reasons for voting decision: ff