bob-bo
Abdullahthegreat

Should Public Prayers be Allowed in Schools?

bob-bo has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

bob-bo

Con

My belief is that public praying in schools should not be allowed in schools. The reason for this is to not separate students into social groups such as "The Christians" or "The Muslims" and other religion social groups. My second reason is to ban/ not allow Public prayers in schools is because it is violating other religions of other students and forcing religion onto children. My third and final reason are aggressive discussions may be done when talking about this subject. Which distracts children from learning important school material and many discussions between parents.
Abdullahthegreat

Pro

I believe that public praying in school should be allowed. The reasons for that is that any person has the right to believe in what he wants and what he thinks he should do to support it, adding to that, the fact that a school is a place you are to learn in. Praying can teach you things about God, so I don't really find a reason for you to argue against that. What you have said about the students separating into different social groups is really not likely as the students won't choose their friends just because they are similar in something for example , you won't see a less intelligent student hanging out with a student the same intelligence level as him just because of the fact that they are similar in only one thing like what you are trying to say, simply doesn't have any sort of knowledge .
bob-bo

Con

To respond to your fist comment I am not against students believing in what they want I am against students practicing that religion in a school setting because it causes many problems. If I was against letting students believe in what they want we would have schools exclusive only to what religion you are which seems absurd to me. My first reason to ban public praying in schools is to not separate students into social groups and promote bullying. This issue has already started in even famous schools such as MIT and is continuing to spread. In MIT there are official after school groups of Christians that meet in a specific date and time to learn about the Bibles with such headlines such as this "Christian students gathering to know Christ and make him known"(www.allabouthistory.org). This is telling students that if you are Christian you must go in a certain group to discuss your own religion. This causes certain students to only know one belief and joins that group of Christians or Muslims etc. This causes multiple things such as bullying due to their faith and also a lack of interaction between ethnic groups which is the opposite of what schools are meant to be.
Abdullahthegreat

Pro

I would like to start off by saying that the facts that you have mentioned about the MIT school are simply all made up as I have been doing research and I didn't find any sort of information that supported what you have said, going on , I would like to say that I am still holding on to my statement because what you are doing is barely forcing the students to not follow their religion your also going to create bullying in schools as if it was not allowed , students will make a big deal out of a students who happened to do it, as people will start to say that what he is doing is against the school policy , it will soon lead to the people saying that he follows and beliefs are wrong which will, of course, create big cases of bullying within the school .
bob-bo

Con

If you are wondering where I found this information about MIT official religion groups if found it on (https://asa.mit.edu...). Also I am almost 100% sure that if there is no talk about religion in schools and how it is wrong or right, students will not talk about it. My second reason for banning/ not allowing public praying in schools is because it is not the purpose that parents sent their sons and daughters to school. www.au.org says "Parents should feel comfortable sending their children to public schools and not fear that they will be preached to or forced to pray according to someone else"s faith tradition." Indeed I believe this quote provided by the source is sensible and correct in many ways. Schools were made to teach a student about subjects that could later on help them in their career on whatever they choose to become or start a career in. Permitting teachers to talk and focus about praying and taking up the student"s learning time in important career changing subjects such as math, science, and writing. In addition parents do not feel safe sending students in a place where there is a common talk of religion because it might change their faith or might cause conflicts with other students of different religions.
Abdullahthegreat

Pro

I would like to start off by saying that I truly disagree with what you have said as I believe that having praying being allowed in school would not cause any sort of trouble, of course, students should not be forced to do it as some might not be with that certain beliefs , but they truly should be allowed to if they want . Another reason I would like to add is that school is a place for students to learn and praying is considered learning about God. That means that if the school does not allow the student to participate in doing it. It shows that the school is missing subjects that are meant to be thought I also believe that the parents wouldn't really disagree, in a matter of fact I think that they will be happy for the school to allow their child to do what they believe he should do to participate in their religion. Before I end this, I would like to point out that you should check your grammar before you say anything as it doesn't show that you do from the first sentence .