Kylar
Mister_Man

Should Public Schools allow Christian Clubs to pray against gay marriage? Yes or No.

Mister_Man

Kylar

Pro

Greetings everyone. I am a firm conservative evangelical Baptist Christian who believes in freedom. I would like to invite anyone to debate me on this issue. Just after gay marriage became legal in Wisconsin, my home state, I called on the Christian group Youth Alive that I am a member of at my high school to pray that God would stop this sinful act. However, the Club reps said that it would force a closing down of the club by the school board if we did just that. We have the right to be conservative and against gay marriage in this country, don't we?! I am in favor of Public Schools should allow Christian clubs to pray about whatsoever they see fit to pray for, even if it is same sex marriage. So, should Public Schools allow Christian clubs to pray against gay marriage in a public school? Yes or No. Thanks again, and I look forward to debating with you,
Kylar
Mister_Man

Con

Hi! Thanks for bringing up a good debate topic.

Considering there is a 1,000 character limit, I'll just leave this round as my acceptance and to clear up a couple things, and bring up one point.

I'm all for freedom of religion. I believe anyone should be able to pray at any time, and I believe religious groups should be able to grow and pray in schools.

However this is different. What you are describing is not simple prayer. Much like I believe it's fine to be racist if you're alone or even with a friend, as long as nobody else hears or sees your actions, I don't believe your prayers or beliefs should interfere with anyone who doesn't want to participate.

The "freedom of speech" or "freedom of prayer" argument could be used here, but then I could easily counter that by "freedom of expression" - you don't want two people who are unrelated to you and who's actions will not affect you to get married. And I'm calling you out on it, as I consider it detrimental to society.

Thanks, good luck!
Kylar

Pro

Thanks for your kind words! I am not trying to be racist in my views. All I am saying is that Christians should be able to pray about what they feel is un-biblical in school. However, I do conceed it may be intolerant.
Mister_Man

Con

Don't worry, this is a debate, and I know how you feel regarding this subject, I don't take any offense as you're just making a point.

I agree they should be able to pray, I'm sure anyone would agree. And even as a group in school. However it gets out of hand and (in my eyes) detrimental when they begin "praying" when other people are around, or when they see someone they don't believe is acting as God wants them to (Gays).

Allowing these groups to grow and exist can cause lots of tension in the school, especially if there are homosexuals that attend that school, as they see an entire group of people literally against them and their way of life. In no way is this beneficial - if anything, "praying" for people to change gives that school a negative image, and causes lots of tension between students in the school, and other schools will look down upon that school.

You're right, it is intolerant and disrespectful. If you want to pray like this, you can go to church, school is for education.
Kylar

Pro

I agree with you, and I appreciate your kind words. There is already friction between Youth Alive, the Christian group at my school, and the GSA to an extent. I just think that we should be able to pray about gay marriage, whatever our view. However, we can always do this in church, I agree. Therefore, I can actually agree with your points. Again, thank you for your kind words, and taking the time to debate,
Kylar
Mister_Man

Con

Well thank you for being respectful and actually acknowledging what I'm saying, there's too many people that don't even bother considering others' points.

Like I said, there's nothing wrong with praying with willing people, but when you bring it outside of that context, it can become detrimental, and like you said, there's already friction between your church group at school and the GSA. I'd recommend leaving the praying (in a context that can be detrimental or hurtful) to private, or in your church, if they pray like that.

I take it we didn't need a full 5 rounds haha.
Kylar

Pro

I agree. I think that we both have agreed it is racist and intolerant. I rest my case here, and I don't think we need 5 rounds. Thank you for being so polite to me, and taking the time to debate. I am glad we could do this. Your views are great, and I agree with them.
Kylar
Mister_Man

Con

Thanks a lot, Kylar. I'm glad I've met another Christian who is able to allow reasonable ideas to shape his view of the world!

Kylar

Pro

I appreciate it, and it was an honor to discuss this with you.
Mister_Man

Con

Same goes for you! Hope you enjoy your time on Debate.org :)
Posted by Bubbagump282 2 years ago
Bubbagump282
You are. That right is protected. You can pray, no questions asked. It's legal as long as you aren't forcing others to do so with you.
Posted by mightbenihilism 2 years ago
mightbenihilism
The educational culture in the U.S. is totally broken. It needs to be scrapped entirely and replaced with that used by the People's Republic of China.
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
Why don't you guys grow some. Pray anyway. You are protected under the constitution. Tell them to go pound salt if they say something.Which do you want , the approval of man or the approval of God. There are Christians who have guns in their faces and never backed down.Be a david, not a Thomas.
Vote Placed by airmax1227 2 years ago
airmax1227
KylarMister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: An unusual bug is preventing me from removing Utog44's vote, so until I'm able to get that fixed this vote is to counter his. - Debate.org Moderator
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
KylarMister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by utog44 2 years ago
utog44
KylarMister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: I am against gay marriage and I think I should be able to say so!
Vote Placed by republicofdhar 2 years ago
republicofdhar
KylarMister_ManTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro has conceded that Christians should not pray against gay marriage in schools. Con made arguments about how it conflicts with other rights, and how it would spark tensions in school, especially those with gay students. Arguments go to Con. Both debaters conducted themselves respectably. Both also wrote clearly and elegantly. I should mention that there is nothing "racist" about praying against gay marriage, I believe that Con used "racism" as a kind of analogy to illustrate intolerance. Neither used any sources, but then again, it was only a 1000 character debate.