delmar_whyte
feverish

Should Rap be Banned?

feverish
Started: 5/14/2010 Category: Arts

delmar_whyte

Pro

I believe that "Rap" ought to be banned because it promotes violence and slurs toward another peson due to what they are wearing or their sex, a vast majority of "Rap" depicts women, killing others and making violent threats due to what "Color" they are wearing. Boolds and Crips make no sense at all, when we die we turn blue and when we bleed, blood comes out. so either way it is just down right stupid. Some may not agree with me but i think it is indeed stupid. Think about it "Gansta's", you wouldn't want anyone calling your mother, sister, girlfriend or wife a B**** or a H** would ya? so learn to respect woman because you came from one. For this reason i would love for "Rap" to be banned.
feverish

Con

Single round debates seem kind of pointless to me but I just couldn't help taking this one.

Thanks to my opponent for the opportunity to debate.

_______

Before I get into the meat of the debate, I would just like to briefly vent about a pet peeve of mine.

"Rap is something you do, hip hop is something you live"- Krs-one (Hip hop vs rap) http://www.discogs.com...

I know that the word rap is frequently used as a noun to describe a certain genre of music and is listed as such in most dictionaries but to me this is a total misnomer. Rap is a verb and rapping is a core component of hip hop music, the wide and broad musical genre that is the musical expression of hip hop culture.

If you type in "rap music" to a decent reference site like Wikipedia, you will be redirected to the more correctly titled "hip hop music" page. http://en.wikipedia.org...

I am not making a semantical argument here, just correcting my opponent's misuse of language.

_________

My opponent lists several aspects of negative lyrical content that he attributes to "rap", including promotion of violence and gang lifestyle, insulting remarks and depiction of women (I assume he means depicting women in a negative way, as I can't see anything wrong with the mere depiction of women).

Rather than ban this kind of negative content itself which exists in a wide range of media and artforms, Pro wants to ban all rap, whether it has negative content or not.

Film makers like Quentin Tarantino and the creators of the Saw series of films, as well as video games such as GTA are all far more guilty of presenting violence etc as entertainment than most rappers are.

For anyone to claim that ALL hip hop music contained this kind of content would be as ludicrous as me claiming that none of it does. As for whether the majority does that is far more debatable but I'm pretty confident that I could name more positive hip hop tracks than my opponent could name negative ones. We can try this in the comments section if you like.

To any doubters, here's a brief list of hip hop artists whose work is mostly positive or conscious and does not display the characteristics that my opponent and many other people associate with "rap" music: De La Soul, Dream warriors, Black Sheep, Jurassic 5, Talib Kweli, Blackalicious, Arrested Development, Jean Grae, Queen Latifah, Common, The Pharcyde, Pete Rock and CL Smooth, Jungle Brothers.

Much of the perceived violent imagery in hip hop is metaphorical and relates to competitve musical pwnage rather than actual physical destruction and many rappers like Krs-One and Chuck D from Public Enemy have combined positive messages with revolutionary militance which can often be labelled as promoting violence.

I wholeheartedly agree with my opponent that gang violence is stupid, unecessary and disgusting. In my work I come into contact with a lot of young people involved with gang activity in Birmingham, England. Although I don't think the situation here is as bad as in some parts of the US or in many other countries such as South Africa and Brazil it is still pretty horrific at times.

Art and entertainment tends to reflect reality and this is one of its prime functions. Organised crime and gang warfare are obviously much older than hip hop and to tie a causual link from the music to the criminal activities is absurd. Hip hop culture originated in New York as an alternative to gang activity. Instead of weaponry and control of drug trade, hip hop teaches people to compete and "battle" with microphones, turntables, dance moves and spraypaint.

However it is not the promotion of gang violence my opponent wants to ban, it is "rap" music. What is there in Pro's proposal to prevent such lyrics being featured in other musical genres? Admittedly I can't imagine much Gangsta Opera getting produced but the teenage gang members I meet are usually more into UK Garage, Grime and Dub Step rather than hip hop these days.

This brings me to another point. When exactly does a piece of music stop being another genre and become "rap" or hip hop? Hip hop production techniques are used in big budget pop music regularly nowadays and artists as diverse as Madonna, Robbie Williams, Blondie and The Clash have incorporated rapping (or an attempt at it) in their performances. A great deal of hip hop is created by sampling other genres, does it become hip hop as soon as I loop or chop it up or not until I spit on it? Should all music be banned?

Let us assume for one moment, ridiculous as it may be, that hip hop is in fact inherently harmful and directly causes and is responsible for the negative things my opponent cites, this would still not be grounds to ban it. Aside from the obvious notion of free speech, the number of dangerous activities and harmful substances which remain legal provide no justification for banning a genre of music even if it could be proved to be genuinely harmful, which of course it isn't. If you want to ban rapping on such grounds then you should also be banning tobacco, fast food, extreme sports, and even cars

Hip hop and "rap" music is a huge component of the enormously profitable entertainment industry. The economical implications of banning such a popular genre of music do not bear thinking about. Does my opponent want all those lost jobs on his conscience?

________

My opponent's perceptions of hip hop are misguided and ill informed. Banning the genre would in no way alleviate the negative traits he ascribes to the culture from society and he has provided no valid justification for it.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this. Please vote for whichever side you think presented the better case.

Posted by louiegrindey 2 years ago
louiegrindey
If you stop listening to Riff Raff, Birdman, Iggy Azalea, Nicki Minaj, Young Thug and all these FAKE rappers, you will discover that hip hop is infact extremely educational. Just listen to 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, and you will discover that. If you listen to the lyrics and ignore the profanity and aggressiveness that doesnt always occur, you will find stories in the music and things being told in the song for example-
Inequality and Racism between races and gender.
How the whole 'system' is corrupt (Just listen to HiiiPower by Kendrick Lamar)
The Police and how they too are corrupt and discriminate cultures and skin colours.
Thats all i can think of off the top of my head but theres way more to it than that. It really opens your eyes up to how the world actually is, its not a fairytale or dreamland or something.

Its not all aggressive and its not just words and swearing thrown together, its a story and theres usually a meaning behind every song. But when it is aggressive and theres alot of profanity its usually to get a strong message or point across.

Songs i recommend:

HiiiPower - Kendrick Lamar
Changes - 2Pac
Keep your head up - 2pac
Keisha's song - Kendrick Lamar
Staring Through My Rear View Mirror - 2Pac
F*ck your ethnicity - Kendrick Lamar
Sing about me, im dying of thirst - Kendrick Lamar
The Blacker the Berry - Kendrick Lamar
Nocturnal Rainbows - Hopsin

And many others i cant think of on the spot
Posted by joevonborstell 4 years ago
joevonborstell
If you don't like rap, don't listen to it. It's as simple as that. Just because some pompous white people don't want to listen it to doesn't mean it should be banned from existence. And people forget that while rap can be crude, it is still an art form
Posted by i8JoMomma 6 years ago
i8JoMomma
ban the corrupt government
Posted by ittastenasty 6 years ago
ittastenasty
common sense please is right
Posted by Common_Sense_Please 7 years ago
Common_Sense_Please
You should read some metal lyrics.. makes rap look like a nursery rhyme.
Posted by yayawhatever 7 years ago
yayawhatever
Though I am a feminist and find the objectification of women in some rap offensive, i still believe in freedom of speech. If someone is so lame that theyre inspired by music to commit crimes, they werent playing with a full deck to begin with and should have been locked up prior for obvious psychiatric probs
Posted by tBoonePickens 7 years ago
tBoonePickens
Yes.
Posted by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
I lol'd at the title.
Vote Placed by yayawhatever 7 years ago
yayawhatever
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by delmar_whyte 7 years ago
delmar_whyte
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by BigMac 7 years ago
BigMac
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by Shestakov 7 years ago
Shestakov
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by Ashoka 7 years ago
Ashoka
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by rockinreadhead 7 years ago
rockinreadhead
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by jaweber1 7 years ago
jaweber1
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by m93samman 7 years ago
m93samman
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by Koopin 7 years ago
Koopin
delmar_whytefeverishTied
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 7 years ago
tBoonePickens
delmar_whytefeverishTied