ArthurCurry
Inspired

Should Religion Be Allowed in Public Schools?

ArthurCurry

Pro

Some people see religion as an indoctrination of children, but I see it as an important way to teach children about the diverse religions in the world. Most governments before now were run by religion. They worked just fine, so why can't it be taught in school? What about the kids that want to learn about this stuff. I am a student and this stuff is always interesting, yet it is almost never spoken of in school. Learning about religion in school gives other kids an insight on THEIR religious beliefs. By taking religion away from school, how are children supposed to know what other people believe in?
Inspired

Con

Hello there,

First of all, I would like to thank my opponent for choosing such an excellent topic. This has long been one of my concerns as a public school student in the United States.

I would like to define religion. According to dictionary.com, the first definition of religion is "a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe." The definition goes on to define beliefs and practices of religion. The term religion is very broad and I'd like my opponent to define what he means a bit more. If he is referring to general religious classes, these are available at colleges in the United States. Just most high schools avoid the topic because the United States unconstitutionally uses the term "separation of church and state" as a means to avoid any religious practice in state and public school. Private schools cannot be touched, but general classes remain "atheistic" if you will. Most classes also teach evolution which I consider to be a religion, but that is another debate all in itself.

I would like to ask, what are your sources? You mentioned that most governments before now were run by religion. What governments? In what time period? And was this government totalitarian in the beliefs of its religion? Many religions have persecuted the minority into believing the state religion. Take the example of the Salem Witch Trials in the early New England colonies, or the Spanish Inquisition (listed below). These both were an attempt to force religion to the majority. Many people died, burned at the stake, beheaded, martyred, all in the name of these (what I believe) false religions. I realize this is not your intent, but in the sense of states teaching religion, it can quickly become dominated by one religion (Catholiscism, Mormonism, etc) that is prevalent in that area.

How are children supposed to know what other people believe in? That is a very good question. One which can be answered simply with one word. Google. The internet is an amazing source of information. Why teach religious practices and rituals in a classroom when students can simply research world religions at home on their own time?

Thank you again. I appreciate this debate.

ArthurCurry

Pro

ArthurCurry forfeited this round.
Inspired

Con

I make the assumption that my opponent has forfeited this debate. I would encourage those reading this debate to review both my and my opponent's arguments for clarification on any issues that you may have. Please feel free to message me with any questions or comments regarding this debate. Thank you.
ArthurCurry

Pro

ArthurCurry forfeited this round.
Inspired

Con

Inspired forfeited this round.
Posted by pensfan 3 years ago
pensfan
what does bieber have to do with this first of all. second of all bieber sucks. he is a brat.
Posted by TrueScotsman 3 years ago
TrueScotsman
Hi christina11230,

Just curious as to the relevance of your comment here.

Thanks!
TrueScotsman
Posted by christina11230 3 years ago
christina11230
I believe that Justin Bieber is the best person in the world EVERYONE ELSE SUCKS so please GO AWAY