Jadeydid
Blade-of-Truth

Should Religion be taught in K-12?

Blade-of-Truth

Jadeydid

Pro

Religion is a heated topic for most people (especially those who are religious). Teaching children K-12 about the many different religions of the world and people's different beliefs could create a more tolerant populace. I am arguing for religion being taught in school.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

I accept this debate. Please begin.
Jadeydid

Pro

Jadeydid forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

As both Pro and Instigator, I will extend the right to my opponent to fulfill his roles.

I will await for my opponent to begin and thank the audience for their continued patience.
Jadeydid

Pro

Jadeydid forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Con

My opponent has forfeited this entire debate.

Since my opponent has failed to present any case, I will present a short summary of my own. Although this isn't fully necessary, I've never been a fan of those who simply take advantage of a fully forfeited debate without presenting a case of their own.

I. Determining which Religion should be taught.

First and foremost, when the resolution is raised that religion should be taught in schools from grades K - 12 a clear template is necessary for determining which religion should be taught.

According to a religioustolerance.org, the editor for Christian World Encyclopedia, David Barrett, states that: "there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world." [1]

These numbers are astounding to consider, especially when one realizes that these numbers are coming from a Christian source itself. So, even if we attempted to narrow the official school religion as Christianity, there are still 34,000 differing Christian groups that would all be competing for their denomination to be the official school religion that is taught.

This is giving my opponent the benefit of the doubt though, because in reality, my opponent said nothing about it being Christianity...

In fact, a more accurate source for numbers in terms of world religions would be research conducted by the Pew Research group.

According to them:

...an analysis of more than 2,500 censuses, surveys and population registers – finds 2.2 billion Christians (32% of the world’s population), 1.6 billion Muslims (23%), 1 billion Hindus (15%), nearly 500 million Buddhists (7%) and 14 million Jews (0.2%) around the world as of 2010. In addition, more than 400 million people (6%) practice various folk or traditional religions, including African traditional religions, Chinese folk religions, Native American religions and Australian aboriginal religions. An estimated 58 million people – slightly less than 1% of the global population – belong to other religions, including the Baha’i faith, Jainism, Sikhism, Shintoism, Taoism, Tenrikyo, Wicca and Zoroastrianism. [2]

Let's consider these statistics for a moment, when realizing that all of these people would be competing for their religion to be the one religion that schools teach. The animosity and competition that would form from such actions and the news/media hysteria that is sure to follow is alone reason enough to never consider such a polarizing event from occurring.

Furthermore, their research shows that nearly 1.1 billion people have no religious affiliation whatsoever. Enacting such lessons in schools for their children would be offensive, belittling to parental authority, and most importantly an infringement on our religious freedoms.

[1] http://www.religioustolerance.org...

[2] http://www.pewforum.org...

II. Infringing on our Religious Freedoms.

This is another point that is highly important. State and Church are separate. If we introduce religion into our state-funded schools i.e., - Public schools, how are we to keep church and state separate? This goes against the very constitution that we founded this nation on. I was hoping to get into this more but my opponent never presented any case, much less one where this issue would have provided a solid rebuttal.

III. Multiple religions being taught in school.

In addition to the previous two points raised, one must also consider the possibility of schools offering multiple classes on differing religions. This is simply not feasible. Schools would need to allocate additional funding for bringing in new instructors that are knowledgeable on certain religions, additional class-room space would be needed to account for the increase in classes being offered. There is also no guarantee that no student would be left out, what classes would be offered for the atheistic students? What classes would be offered for the Satanists, the Rastafarians, or those who are Agnostic? It is simply an unfeasible act to attempt to incorporate classes for every religion in this world.

IV. Alternatives to learning religion.

My opponent fails to understand that there are already alternatives that exist if one wishes to teach religion to children. There are churches, community events, parents themselves, and private schools which offer religious classes. It is not the governments responsibility to force religious education on those who have no desire to be taught such things. We are living in America, where everyone has a right to follow their own religious path. If one feels it so vital to instill religious education into the youth, there are much more reasonable alternatives to doing so other than attempting to implement such education into the public sphere of education as a whole.

In conclusion,

I thank my opponent for this opportunity, and the audience for their patience.
Posted by IndianaFrank 3 years ago
IndianaFrank
Not only no, but hell no. Precisely who's religion do you teach ? Yours, Mine ? There are at least 5 different versions of the bible and I can assure you that no god wrote that many versions. Religion is simply a con job.
Posted by Free_Th1nker 3 years ago
Free_Th1nker
Religious scripture should be taught as literature. It should not be taught as science. Public schools can not legally teach theology classes. You need to narrow your point.
Posted by NathanDuclos 3 years ago
NathanDuclos
I just had this debate and its in the voting period. You have to be very clear, teaching it as true, comparison, various religions. I could argue the opposite (con) and nail you on your premise and lack of clarity in presentation. Also you would need a lot of defining to start it off. . .
Posted by iamanatheistandthisiswhy 3 years ago
iamanatheistandthisiswhy
I think you should clarify what you mean by religion. Do you mean preaching or teaching what religions believe. The one has benefits the other is idiotic. Basically, the debate as it stands can get destroyed on semantics.
Posted by superbowl9 3 years ago
superbowl9
If I could, I'd accept this debate. This is a good idea in theory, however teaching all religions to children or anyone is impossible. There are far too many beliefs to be covered in a lifetime, let alone in one class period every K-12 school day. You might be able to teach the major religions, but there'd be many people of different faiths not taught who would object to an unfair representation. It's best to just keep it out of school and let children discover for themselves.
Posted by XionChan 3 years ago
XionChan
I think the idea to teach different religions is a great idea. It could encourage the student's curiosity and the student may become more religious.
Vote Placed by Adam2 3 years ago
Adam2
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro didn't even argue
Vote Placed by QandA 3 years ago
QandA
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by ArcTImes 3 years ago
ArcTImes
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 3 years ago
lannan13
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by dynamicduodebaters 3 years ago
dynamicduodebaters
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Vote Placed by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
JadeydidBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: No argument from Pro.