LeonPikinito
connorjfield

Should Religion be taught in public schools?

connorjfield

LeonPikinito

Pro

Religion should be taught in public schools, however the material taught should not be bias and should be reviewed by someone who actually knows about the religion. There is nothing worse than ignorance. In order for our country to grow religion should be taught in public schools so that people can learn about others beliefs and points of views. This is fundamental so that future generations be open minded as well as tolerant of other people and their views.

This is the simple opinion of a simple guy.
connorjfield

Con

First let me say I do appreciate where you are coming from far as keeping the information unbiased and I am all for young people keeping an open mind on things especially where religion is involved.

That being said I feel that keeping the information unbiased would be an insurmountable task. In order to ensure an unbiased representation, material would need to include information about all religions (Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, Shaoism, Voodoo, Satanism, etc.). If there is to be someone reviewing this material either they would need to have knowledge of all religions or you would need many people reviewing the materials to ensure all religions are represented equally. Would the person(s) reviewing the material be an outside volunteer/ member of the community or would this fall on a member of the school faculty?

This also does not seem time or cost effective as we live in an information age and our young people can easily seek out this information on their own or with their parents guidance.
LeonPikinito

Pro

LeonPikinito forfeited this round.
connorjfield

Con

Not sure what to do know..not liking the whole wait three days for nothing idea.

As far as religion goes It is one thing for it to be taught about in a historical context. the crusades, Spanish inquisition, things that we actually know happened through historical record and accounts. Many schools history curriculum does include these things at least at the high school level.

However, teaching scripture and doctrine would be quite inappropriate in a public school setting. In 1948 the United States Supreme Court ruled that allowing these religious classes and especially bringing in outside people to teach/ run them violates the 1st and 14th amendment to the constitution (McCollum v Board of Education of Illinois- 1948). This came about when a group of religious families convinced the school district to set up specific class time for religious instruction during time when students were mandated to be in attendance. This resulted in personal attacks and bullying of students who chose not to attend these classes. This ruling has set a precedent in our public school system of keeping religion out of our classrooms. That means designated prayer times, classes specifically about religion, bibles or other religious literature etc, have no place in our public schools.

https://www.law.cornell.edu...

http://www.firstamendmentschools.org...
(simplified version)
LeonPikinito

Pro

LeonPikinito forfeited this round.
connorjfield

Con

I guess he's not coming back. Oh well.
LeonPikinito

Pro

LeonPikinito forfeited this round.
connorjfield

Con

I'll post a closing argument next round. but really, this has been most disappointing.
LeonPikinito

Pro

LeonPikinito forfeited this round.
connorjfield

Con

As I have shown the supreme court has ruled it unconstitutional for religion to be taught in school. kind of wish this had been an actual debate. If someone sees this and would be interesting in debating this with me and actually participating I'd be down.
Posted by Liberals 2 years ago
Liberals
Teach It, Don't Endorse It.
Posted by LeonPikinito 2 years ago
LeonPikinito
@crswong888 I know that religion is taught in school however some people did support our students to learn about Islam after 9/11. I guess what I'm saying that students should be taught religion so that they can understand similar situations in witch religion is involved. Take the crises of ISIS currently going on it would be beneficial if our students understood religions such as Islam so that ignorant opinions not be formed about all Islamic people.
Posted by crswong888 2 years ago
crswong888
In the sense that you are putting this matter, religion is indeed "taught" in school. As a student navigates K-12, they will encounter various types or religions numerous times. Most specifically in social studies. So my question for you is: Are you trying to say that the methods of worship or any of the various lifestyles of a member of a certain religion should be taught in practice to our students? If so, perhaps I will accept your challenge.
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
LeonPikinitoconnorjfieldTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by Jupiter1 2 years ago
Jupiter1
LeonPikinitoconnorjfieldTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro- made opening argument? Con- showed problems with teaching religion, given the constitutional legality and the task of providing unbiased information