whiterice
NirvanaOkeefe

Should Rex Tillerson be the Secretary of State?

whiterice has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

whiterice

Con

Why in the world should the American people support the CEO of ExxonMobil to be Secretary of State. He has no political experience and has ties to Vladimir Putin.
NirvanaOkeefe

Pro

Hello,
I personally disagree and here is why!

He is a negotiator,
He has been a great CEO for Exxon and Trump's main goal is evidently to run the U.S as a business, while
Rex may have ties to Putin, since Putin has announced he would like to restore US and Russia relations we wouldn't you like to have someone who is comfortable with Putin? I think Rex has negotiated great deals for the Exxon Corporation... also as Exxon CEO he has many connections across the world and friends, therefore he can make great deals across the world with people! He also has good experience navigating the domestic parts of the government, as he had to get through Congress, EPA, and White House to pass some things to help Exxon grow to what it has become now, I think if he can grow a business so large globally he can do the same for a country.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
Hey OP wanna go Rex vs Romney in terms of interests of the USA?
Posted by ILikePie5 1 year ago
ILikePie5
Romney is a big no no.....
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
Another one I could agree to: Tillerson vs Bolton as a SOS overall. This could either be net benefits for America OR net benefits for the entire world.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
We can do Tillerson vs Romney if you like but ONLY in which one would help the United States NOT which one would help the entire world.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
I would only do a debate like: Would Tillerson or Bolton be a better sec of state in terms of net benefits for the US of America.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
In terms of helping the entire human race I'm not sure I can make a good case for Tillerson. If you want to do who is better for America than I have some arguements. If you want to make it Tillerson vs Romney or Tillerson vs Bolton then maybe I would be down.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
So u want this to be about benefits for the world? Net benefits for the world? Not about what's in the selfish interests of the United States?
Posted by whiterice 1 year ago
whiterice
Tillerson in my opinion would be a terrible pick because he might put his personal interests in oil ahead of making deals that would benefit other nations
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
I personally don't really like Tillerson but I can try to make the argument that he's better than Mitt Romney or John Bolton.
Posted by Corgi_Attack 1 year ago
Corgi_Attack
Do you want to do Rex Tillerson vs Mitt Romney where I say Tillerson is a superior choice? A better SOS in terms of overall global benefits or benefits for the USA? Like which SOS would help the world more or which SOS would help America more and place American interests above all else?