Dman13331
Valkrin

Should School Be From 9:00am To 4:00pm

Valkrin

Dman13331

Pro

I think school should be from 9 to 4 because teens would get more sleep and that would lead to better grades. If we did do it that way then kids would get home at closer to the same time as parents.
Valkrin

Con

I accept and wish to prove that school should NOT be from 9 to 4. I wish him the best of luck. :)
I await Pro's arguments.
Dman13331

Pro

Waking up later in the day is scientifically proven to enhance the teens brain which makes them more likely to succeed in school. Sleep also helps your memory. After puberty, there is a biological shift in an adolescent"s internal clock of about 2 hours, meaning that a teenager who used to fall asleep at 9:00 PM will now not be able to fall asleep until 11:00PM. It also means waking 2 hours later in the morning. Teens need 9-10 hours of sleep so that means that they would wake up at 8:00am. How can we get enough sleep to have a healthy body if we have to go to school that early.
Valkrin

Con

To first point out, I would like to see opponent's sources for his claims.

Secondly, we must think of the practical implications involved.
First and foremost, parents often work extremely early. When they drop their kids off for school, they have to leave work right away. If school starts later, they would still have to drop their kids off early, which leaves them there for a lot longer than normal, and the school has to take care of them. Assuming there are two parents this should work out fine, however if there is only one parent or both the parents work (both of which are relatively common nowadays), it would cause a huge upset in their daily lives.

In addition, imagine if a child has lots of homework. They now have less time to complete said homework. If they have less time to complete their homework they would feel a larger need to rush, and therefore not be as cautious about the quiality of their work. This could result in lower grades for them.

Not to mention, if a child is in sports, or an after school club, they would have to go home even later to start their homework. This causes even bigger problems for them and discourages a child from participating in after-school sports or clubs.

Even if we do decide to do this, it won't affect the student's health too much, as the brain will get used to waking up at this time, and waking up any earlier will be detrimental, as the body clock of the brain is set to when the person first eats. While it may seem pleasing at first, once you get used to it you will still be tired.

While short, this is my conclusion: starting school early, while benefiting a teenager's body state, overall has very detrimental effects and is inconvenient for both parents and students.
Dman13331

Pro

First of all, you said that waking up early can cause lots of problems and is highly inconvient for parents, students, and teachers. You're working for my side of the argument. That's all I have to say on the matter.
Valkrin

Con

When did I say that?
I said parents have to leave early for work, so they can drop their kids off on the way. If the kids have to arrive later, the parents still have to go to work at the same time. This causes their kids to be dropped off earlier, and have them wait longer for school to start, which is detrimental to both the student, parents, and the staff, seeing as they're taking care of the child.

Pro has failed to refute my arguments while I have provided lots of reasons as to why school starting later doesn't work. I ask the voters to vote wisely.
Posted by Lulzy 2 years ago
Lulzy
EDIT: Sorry for the double post, but I fixed it.
Posted by Lulzy 2 years ago
Lulzy
Ah damn it. I voted for the wrong side. Anybody know how I can fix it?
Vote Placed by Paleophyte 2 years ago
Paleophyte
Dman13331ValkrinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro made only superficial arguments. Con rebutted thoroughly and established effective counter-arguments.
Vote Placed by Lulzy 2 years ago
Lulzy
Dman13331ValkrinTied
Reasons for voting decision: This entire debate is baseless arguments with no evidence. I'm voting for Con because he added arguments and also refuted Pro's arguments while Pro did none of these things after round 2.
Vote Placed by MrJosh 2 years ago
MrJosh
Dman13331ValkrinTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sadly, this entire debate was all un-sourced assertions. Arguments to CON because PRO failed to respond to CON's claims, while CON did rebut PRO's point about the teenage sleep rhythms.