j.rivers
WolfTerrorists

Should School Districts Use Organic Food In Meal Plans?

j.rivers

Pro

I believe that, yes organic food should be used in school district's meal plans because I find that if truly organic food is used, (no unnatural pesticides, no antibiotics, no unnatural fertilizers ( by natural fertilizers I mean like cow manure), no GMO's) then we as students truly will have a healthier school community.
WolfTerrorists

Con

Disclaimer: What I say in this debate does not reflect on my stance about this issue.

I argue that School Districts should not use Organic Food in their meal plans because, although the health benefits give students a nutrional diet, the expense of serving hypothetically hundreds of school children may seem a little unrealistic.

In American society where obesity is the largest cause of preventable death, unhealthy foods and quality-tasting foods become cheaper as the lesser quality-tasting though health beneficiary stacks it in it's favor. There simply isn't enough money, time until the foods possibly go bad, and of all, professional staff that can make both nutrious meals though still be appealing the school children.
j.rivers

Pro

When unnatural fertilizers are used we deplete the water source (by infecting a lake with nitrogen) that could very easily be going into the unhealthy and quality-tasting food that is fed to schoolchildren on a daily basis through an aquifer. How unhealthy is cafeteria food anyway? In 2012 there was an informational graphic (infographic) made that said that prison food was healthier for a person than a school cafeteria lunch. There is about one half cup of vegetables OR fruit for kids in a cafeteria meal. In prison food, there is one half cup of vegetables and one serving of fruit or dessert guaranteed with your meal.
The price of feeding hundreds of school children with half of a cup of organic fruit is certainly more feasible than feeding an entire school district with one organic fruit, and healthier for schoolchildren than continually feeding them one half cup of fruit with GMO's or pesticides.
WolfTerrorists

Con

The question I propose if, "Do schools have the money to give organic food to students?"

According to the United States Department of Education, in 2001, food services made up to 4% of the money spent per student in public schools. In 2011, that only raised up to 0.6% per student. You see, it's based on the philiosophy that more money for the important things means better quality even though around $2.85 per tax dollar is spent on education and jobs training.

Do I believe we need to put more money into education? Yes, but it comes at a price when our education system is designed on practically relying on students to have their own lunch. Also, we have been getting better with keeping our school lunches healthy.
In 2011, Michelle Obama created the Let's Move campaign in with it came dozens of food companies supporting her. Overall, it's an uphill climb, but schools aren't feeling content with keeping it this way as they're somewhat contributing to the American Obesity Epidemic.

Where do your tax dollars go?: http://bit.ly...

How much the U.S. spends on Education: http://1.usa.gov...

Let's Move: http://www.letsmove.gov...

j.rivers

Pro

First, I would like to say, sorry I didn't post a link to the previously mentioned infographic (keeping in mind this is my first debate). Here is the URL of the infographic:

http://awesome.good.is...

Secondly I would like to mention once again that this infographic was done in 2012 AFTER Michelle Obama started the Let's Move Campaign. If this is an improvement, I would like to see what cafeteria lunches were like before Let's Move.

Finally, I would like to say that a school could send out a weekly form to fill out to determine who would be having "hot lunch" that week, and then produce that according amount of meals furthering the cost even less by only using maybe 13 to 15 organic fruits or vegetables. I conclude my section of the debate.
WolfTerrorists

Con

WolfTerrorists forfeited this round.