Our_Future_Freedom
hannah1101

Should School Lunches be Regulated

Our_Future_Freedom

Con

Recently the Obama administration has put legislation into place restricting some of the more "unhealthy" or "fatty" foods. Apparently kids eat way to unhealthy at school and so the government feels the need to take over your job as a parent and supply them with healthy food. As a high school student I have experienced, first hand, this new dramatic shift in our schools cuisine. I have found that over three-quarters of the students at my high school say that our lunches are repulsive at best and are almost not worth eating. Some of the students even started a petition stating they wanted their old lunches back! At the high school level a student should be able to make their own decisions. So what the government is telling me is that I can drive but can't choose what I want for lunch? If I think school lunch is nasty I will simply go buy my own healthy food which I can make at home and go to school with.
hannah1101

Pro

I understand where your coming from, but by making healthy foods a regular component in younger kids meals, their more likely to stay healthy. Many lunch programs in schools are extremely unhealthy and processed. It may taste a bit better but would you rather be healthy and possibly live longer or eat unhealthy junk at school, that only satisfies your short time wants. If someone really cannot stand healthier lunches at school, no one is forcing anyone to eat it. There are usually other options in the lunch line, like yogurt and salads. If you truly hate school lunch you can always pack. And thus brings me to another point many students can't afford to pack their lunch or don't have time too. This makes healthy school lunches even more of a benefit.
School lunches also contribute to childhood obesity. This is one of the main reasons schools are making them healthier in the first place. Just think would you rather eat healthy food that you may not necessarily like all the time and deal with it or fill yourself.with processed poison. Although you may not like the change many other parents and students ate pleased with the fact that they are now able to eat healthy at school.
Our_Future_Freedom

Con

Yes I understand where you are coming from, kids, especially teenagers in high school, do not have sufficient time to make their lunches in the morning. Which, in turn, means more kids are eating lunch at school, hence the obesity rate is going up due to the less nutritious foods that schools are serving. But are you telling me that before you go to bed at night you can't pack yourself a sandwich, an apple, and anything else you would like for lunch. I guarantee you that most high schoolers do have enough time to do pack their lunch, they just tend to be the average lazy teenager (not to mention that in the long hull it can actually be cheaper). It is a decision that us, as young adults have to make. Do we want to eat healthy or do we want the delicious fatty food that our school serves us?

At this time in my life I no longer need parenting on what I can eat. It has become a decision where I act independently on, without my parents or the governments intervention. Yes, my parents will tell me: "why don't you have an apple instead?". But they do not MAKE me change what I eat at school.
hannah1101

Pro

I see what you mean, but school is about learning and making life descions. Why can't the lunches be apart of that. If you want to eat unhealthy its fine by me, all you have to do is pack your lunch. And yes you can also pack your lunch full of nutritional items as well. But in school they teach about healthy eating habits and nutrition. If all they serve us in lunch is greasy pre-packaged junk they would complete hypocrites. Why shouldn't they try to influence our eating habits in a positive way before we leave school and grow up. If schools don't enforce healthy eating habits to their students how do you think they will turn out. A study done in 2011 showed that a the average person who eats school lunches has a 48% more chance of becoming obese than someone who packs their lunch. Yes, in high school your trying to learn your own way and feel you have the right to eat whatever you want. And you do. All you have to do is pack your lunch from home. The school isn't going to bring back their old unhealthy junk food just because not everyone feels the importance of healthy eating. Healthy eating habits are HABITS. They form at young ages and when when schools decide to enforce this they aren't just doing it because its mandatory by STATE LAWS, but because it will benefit their students' overall health. There is less empty calories in healthy foods they serve at lunch, making the food have more energy, which will give the student more energy for the day. Its also been proven that healthy foods put you in a better mood too.
Our_Future_Freedom

Con

Yes you do have a valid point about how healthy food gives you energy for the day but why does Michelle Obama get to tell me that I have to have those healthy habits. If I don't want to eat healthy, who is the government to tell me that I have to. Again, I can drive a car 60 mph, practically a 4,000 lb. bullet, but I can't choose what I eat for lunch. It is MY decision and no one else's.

Also the healthy food they serve is disgusting tasting...if you want to serve me a healthy lunch, serve me something that is nutritious and tastes good. Don't give me some re pungent crap that I will refuse to eat anyway.

Another point is at a child's age a certain calorie intake is needed to sustain a healthy lifestyle. Sometimes that means more food fatty and healthy. Most of our obesity problems anyways live at our homes. You are not going to become fat by eating at school unhealthily. How you eat at home and during times like summer where there is no school, contributes the most to the obesity problem today.
hannah1101

Pro

Exactly childhood obesity caused by school lunch, rates are dropping even more, due to the fact that school lunches are getting healthier. Plus like I said the government isn't forcing you to eat school lunches. You can easily pack your own lunch from home if truly want to eat unhealthy. Also what school would stop serving healthy items at lunch, that benefits the student, and make it even more unhealthy with no real nutritional value in it. The government doesn't make you eat school lunches, just like they don't make you go to school after the age of 16. You also can't drive a car until your 16. Do if your saying the government is forcing you to eat healthy your wrong. You do have a choice. Its just up to you whether or not to you choose to eat the lunches provided at schools. The purpose of school lunch programs was to allow students to have an option at school for lunch if they couldn't pack their lunch or forgot their lunch. Its an option. If there was an item on the menu, chicken nuggets, and i hated chicken nuggets do you think it would be right to protest against it and ban it from the school lunch menus same thing for healthy food. Say you don't like the school serving carrots are you just going to protest against the school until they stop serving carrots. Also the government is in charge of the public school systems. Therefore making them able to do what they please with the lunch plans. Do you really think parents would be very happy if the government allowed their kids to eat unhealthy greasy fatty foods that contain no good nutrients. Lunch is apart of your daily meal and if you don't like what they serve no ones forcing you to eat it or for that matter buy it. You have to buy your lunch at school. Its like a grocery store, if the store stops selling a certain product you want would you try to make it a law that they had to carry that specific brand. Obviously you wouldn't. But you could go to a different store to buy it. If you really want an unhealthy lifestyle no one is in the way but yourself. You may be to lazy to pack your lunch to eat the food YOU like everyday, but someone else may enjoy making their life a bit healthier. An what right does the government have to take that away from someone. Also the government only has lunch rules on public schools. In which they do their best to provide a fairly good education to all high schools that want it. They are giving you a learning experience and offering you a healthy lifestyle. Its up to you whether you want it or not. You aren't being forced to eat anything you don't want to. Schools are just trying to encourage you to better your diet and overall turnout of life. Its really your choice in which path you want to take.
Posted by Our_Future_Freedom 1 year ago
Our_Future_Freedom
I can see where you think that because the government funds these public schools that they should be able to regulate what goes on within them. But where do you think the government gets this money from. It comes out of taxpayers pockets through the forms of federal taxes. So in a way its the people who fund it not the government...so why don't the people get more say??

And also if you think that carrots at school lunches should be banned, by all means protest them. It is your constitutional right to do so. If you get enough people to back you in your protesting it may even happen!
Posted by debate_king1996 1 year ago
debate_king1996
i agree totally with con, and honestly why there are less obesity now days is because the school lunch is truly no better then the fatty lunches. honestly no one eats at my school there are maybe 10-20 people that i see eat every day. if they want us to eat healthy lunches i agree with con, MAKE the school lunches taste/healthier.
Posted by mrandid832 1 year ago
mrandid832
yes i can see the point you are making.kids do need the right to make choices on their own are they will just go back to bad habits when they are at home.is it the governments place to tell kids what they can and can not eat? .............yes the obesity rate is getting higher but forcing somebody to do something doesn't solve the problem. the heart is in the right place but i do believe the government needs to try a new approach.