Glenn03
RPD

Should Schools Distribute Condoms to Jr High & High School?

Glenn03

Pro

Kids are getting STDs very Easy now and days, I am performing a Presentation on why schools should give free condoms to our Youth kids. Teen pregnacy is a big issue with our Modern day children. Our youth cannot support these little one on there own. Most teens also are nervous or Afraid to buy Condoms in there local stores. I think if we put them in better reach for our youth to get to we can stop the Pregnacys. I need Opinions on what the people think.
RPD

Con

Although it is true that teen pregnancy is a very dangerous and prevalent problem in this country (United States), I do not agree with your idea to make schools give out FREE birth control. This would put another burden on the taxpayers. Already, even if you don't have kids, part of your money is used to fund the basic functions of a school. But, we still have schools that are barely surviving, due to budget cuts. Why make taxpayers pay for teens' issues, when it should've been their parents that should be responsible for them. It should be the teens' parents that raise them properly, and in a way that the teens don't get pregnant at such young ages. Though, even with good parenting some teens stray. Instead of burdening people (who have nothing do with the teen's problems) with the price of birth control, why not allow companies to set up a system, where one can anonymously purchase birth control, if required. But still, teens at that age should not even be requiring birth control. The anonymous system mentioned above would be more for college age students, and still require them to PAY for their birth control.
Glenn03

Pro

Every day thousands of teenagers are putting themselves at risk for pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, and severe turmoil emotionally. Instead of thinking about all the consequences, more and more teens are becoming sexually active without completely understanding the precautions that need to be taken when doing so. Providing teens with the option of using a condom without question would greatly decrease these risks. The teens that are sexually active will most likely have sex with or without a condom, so providing them with total confidentiality would make these teens comfortable enough to make the responsible choice to use one. Some people may argue that condom distribution is a misguided solution due to the fact that it influences sexual promiscuity; however, that is a misconception because teenagers are quite capable of making good decisions, they just need to be better informed. The option of condoms being distributed in high schools needs to be implemented as soon as possible.
By providing condoms in high school it would give protection against pregnancy and STDs to otherwise at risk teens. Society needs to face the reality that teens are engaging in unprotected sex because of the lack of availability of protection. Instead, they want to blame media and other things for imprinting on teenagers that sex is cool. A study carried out by the American Academy of Pediatrics in April 2006, twelve-to fourteen-year-old teens exposed to sexual content through music, movies, television, and magazines are twice as likely to become sexually active within two years.
RPD

Con

Hello, and thank you for an interesting debate so far. However, I do not see how your response in Round 2 proves my points in Round 1 wrong. So, it will be accepted, since you have not attempted to prove my points invalid, that you agree that they are correct. Therefore I will build up on something I very loosely mentioned earlier. You suggest that teenagers are "capable of making good decisions" yet earlier you also stated that "instead of thinking about all the consequences, more and more teens are becoming sexually active." See the contradiction? Moving on, I ask you this; isn't it the parent's responsibility to pay for their teens' issues, and raise them to not have any "issues" in the first place?How is burdening other tax payers (some without kids) for someone else's poor parenting fair? Yes, I am all for using birth control, but I am against your notions that suggest we (as taxpayers and a nation of rising debt) pay for some random teen's "deeds". Why get these high schoolers used to "free handouts" from the government. Yes, it is a purely personal choice between the teens and their parents whether or not they should be engaging in sexual intercourse, therefore it should also be purely personal financing that supports these actions. To end this round, I would like to point out one your other contradictions. You state that (the people) want to blame media and other things for imprinting on teenagers that sex is cool", then you mention a study that effectively proves that in fact, the media can be traced to teenage pregnancy. I'm confused, do you agree that the media is to blame, or do you think it isn't, and if you do think the media isn't to blame, why include a study supporting just the opposite? However, I do not think we should shield our children from the media, as it does show them the type of world they will grow up to be part of, but instead I think (with good parenting) teens should be goaded against having sexual intercourse, or if they do, it shall be their and their families' responsibility to pay for it. Thank you.
Glenn03

Pro

Glenn03 forfeited this round.
RPD

Con

As the Pro has forfeited Round 3, the Con (me) is the winner by default. The Pro has also refused to defend his arguments or prove mine wrong. To wrap up this debate, I will simply restate my key points.
1. Condom distribution would be an unnecessary and expensive burden to tax payers.
2. Parents should be responsible for what their kids do, not the public school system.
3. Good parenting should prevent teen pregnancies.
Posted by Volley-Chick 3 years ago
Volley-Chick
no, they shouldnt be having intrcourse at that age anyway. they probaly woulnt usee them anyway
Posted by ockcatdaddy 3 years ago
ockcatdaddy
i actually did a presentation on this too earlier this year