flamingchicken5
alric8

Should Schools Give Allocated Time To Go To The Library?

flamingchicken5

Pro

The Center for International Scholarship in School Libraries (CISSL) surveyed over 700 librarians and found that school librarians make key contributions to student success, including:
" Improvements in student test scores;
"Development of ethical values in relation to the use of information and technology
"Increased interest in reading, increased participation in reading, the development of wider reading interests and becoming readers who are more discriminating. Imagine if we had a specific class time for this! It would be not only helpful to the education, but it also would be helpful to the community!
When you read a book, don"t you feel happy when the book ends in a good way? If so, then maybe other people feel the same way too! Books can both make people happy, and help people interact with one another.
alric8

Con

A1: I believe that children should be independent and not under the wrath of a school timetable. In the UK we do just that, and often I would enjoy it, but sometimes I wished that I could be doing something else. Sometimes it will be wasted time, and while it may often be good, it should be done by recommendation, not through force.

A2: By allocating library time it further makes children feel that they should never learn through discussion.
flamingchicken5

Pro

I agree that maybe the library should be recommended, and not forced, but if people are given the choice, usually people will not ever go to the library, and would rather look everything up on Wikipedia, or ask.com, which are not reliable sources. Books, however, are more reliable.
alric8

Con

R1. As far as I'm aware of when I go to the library there are books, but mostly it is just filled with computers - or at least that is why people go there. Also, Wikipedia provide (more reliable) further reading and external links [1]. The source I have attached is a Wikipedia article of Fidel Castro. Under the further reading section I find extremely reliable biographies and everything else I could possibly want to know about him. I then look for a book, so I buy on my E-reader (as it is cheaper) an autobiography of him, it is fascinating but long and I do not get further sources, and through the wikipedia page I can find out the same amount. I am not discouraging reading though. Books rarely provide the sources they use so they are, in theory less reliable than Wikipedia (I admit just about every source is more reliable than ask.com).

A1: Forcing people to go to the library can immediately prevent children from wanting to go there, simply as they are forced to. Giving people decisions is very important, because then they will know how to be an adult, not a drone of their parents and teachers.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
1. http://en.wikipedia.org...
flamingchicken5

Pro

I never said that all articles in wikipedia weren't reliable. I am just saying that not everything in wikipedia is the truth. Books have to be the truth, or else they won't be published. Also, not all kids go out of their way to spite teachers and adults, but to the ones who do, it's their own fault if they are illiterate.
alric8

Con

alric8 forfeited this round.
flamingchicken5

Pro

flamingchicken5 forfeited this round.
alric8

Con

alric8 forfeited this round.
flamingchicken5

Pro

flamingchicken5 forfeited this round.
alric8

Con

alric8 forfeited this round.
Posted by alric8 2 years ago
alric8
Since I'm getting an error I...am...screwed
Posted by 21MolonLabe 2 years ago
21MolonLabe
Don't plagiarize.
http://www.nj.com...