Joey888
124275

Should Schools Have Longer School Hours?

Joey888

Con

Most schools start at eight in the morning and end at half past two in the afternoon. Some people believe that school hours should be extended, but I don't think so. School hours should remain just the way they are. This is because long hours of school will lead to stress and cause students' academic performance to drop. We do not want this
124275

Pro

I am a British teen who is still in the school system and I believe that school hours should be lengthened. I think this because the education system isn't educating children well enough to compete with other countries like japan and china. in Japan, many schools have over 13 hour long days although their child suicide rate is one of the highest in the world. I am defiantly not suggesting that school days should be this long but I still think that they should be at least eight hours as this would be similar to the time they will spend working when they grow up. Also, a longer school day would reduce the need for homework which would reduce stress and it may give more time for social interactions with new people at school.
Joey888

Con

Having an eight hour school day would be something like eight in the morning until four in the afternoon. That is really the entire day. Say it takes about half an hour to get home. The student then needs to do homework, wash up, eat dinner, and then go to bed. There is no free time for the student at all.
124275

Pro

It is not the whole day unless you believe that it takes several hours to wash up and go to bed And from eight in the morning to 4 in the evening would only be a 3/4 hour increase.
Joey888

Con

Where I live, school ends at half past two. Many students will be tired if school were to end one and a half hour later. They will not have the energy to do anything, including homework.
124275

Pro

Personally, I think forced homework should be scrapped. But when children grow up they will need to be able to work hard so longer school days would better prepare them.
Posted by Kreakin 11 months ago
Kreakin
Very believable story...

See you in McDonalds one day : P
Posted by Kreakin 12 months ago
Kreakin
If you are lucky enough to get a high end private education you will live at school starting at 8 and finishing around 6 and also be in lessons on Saturday from 8 till 1.

The kids these days are very under educated just as they are at school so little.
Posted by LuckyGoHappy 1 year ago
LuckyGoHappy
Really? I'm in Britain too and our school hours last 8 hours, yet we get the same amount of homework as a school which lasts for 6 or 7 hours. It's not even a private school. If school hours lengthen too much, pupils will drop out, skip or rebel in general. My brother went to a very strict school, a lot like mine, and he skipped almost all of his school year, only attending a few days a month. He still did perfectly well, his grades were very high.