Oli_339
Rokelis

Should Schools Have Uniforms?

Oli_339

Pro

Personally I believe schools should use uniforms. They cost less, and reduce some forms of bullying. No it doesn't reduce all bullying, but it does reduce it. Kids won't have to complain about not having name brands. Unless there's name brand uniforms, which I don't believe there are.
Rokelis

Con

Schools should not use uniforms.

Before starting, you did not give any evidence or deeper analysis.
Some rebuttal :

Price question. Statistics say, that the average cost to clothe an individual child in a uniform is $249 per school year. No doubt this can be a huge price to some families. School uniforms leaves no other choice for parents, they are forced to buy them. In this way it does not leave parents any opportunities to buy cheaper clothes. And let's think of the case that in some ways parents even might have more than one children. So this price can go even x2 or x3 for all the children.

Bullying point. It is proved that bullying, because of the clothes comes only when children do not know each other characters. Children at school are bullied because of many other reasons and school uniforms CANNOT solve this problem at all. School uniforms would even raise this problem, because a child in a uniform would be the target of bullies from a different school. Children with uniforms would differ from others, because streets is the place where people are judged by their clothes, not personality.

Argument I state is that schools should not have uniforms, because uniforms detract from a child's individuality.

Children, teenagers find it very important to express themselves. It is true, that young people find some problems to express themselves in other ways, because they still grow as personalities and often find it hard to talk or communicate with others. Same clothes' style or other clothing attribute allows children to find something familiar between each other and start relationships.
Oli_339

Pro

Expressing yourself: Students can still be unique, they can express themselves through the activities they do like sports, music, art, other hobbies or they can accessorize with jewlery in some cases. Just because a student wears a uniform doesn't make them the same as everyone else. Hair styles can be different and personality of every student is different, so by wearing the same shirt it isn't going to stifle a child's opinion or personality. Also students can wear what they choose on the weekends it isn't like they are never able to wear an outfit of their choosing.

I didn't put a lot of debates in the first round because I wanted to start slow. But since that's not good enough for you here's my arguments:

1. It would allow students to get ready for school faster in the morning because they don't have to worry about what they have to wear.
2. Puts more focus on school work, kids don't have to worry about being trendy, or fashionable or envy the child next to them that has the new popular sneaker they can focus in class on school work and not other distractions such as peers clothing or belongings.

Source: PBS
Rokelis

Con

Expressing yourself point :

I did not say that clothes is the only way to make connections. The major point is that clothes allows children to express them easier, putting them in some borders from the early age stops their personality growth. Obviously, it also reduces students' creativeness.

Time point :

Well, I do not see any problem here at all and you did not even try to mention an existing problem with clothes ant time saving. But yeh, it cannot be any doubts that time spent on preparing for a school in the mornings depends on the person not on the clothes you are going to wear. And ofcourse, you can always prepare at the evening and put the clothes you are going to wear aside.

Focus point :

I did not get your point really. What you actually said is that children go on shopping at school, like school is a shopping center. :D Once again there is no problem at this point at all. I got your point like that : school should buy everything to a student : from exercise-books, pencils to clothes such as uniform or socks, just to leave students all the time for studying.

The argument I would like to bring is :
Comfort.
Different people find different type of clothing or even material comfortable enough. Some children are more comfortable in a specific material. Uniforms puts children into borders and do not let them choose the material they want. It is proved that children need to feel comfortable in order to maximize learning conditions and achieve better goals in studies.
Oli_339

Pro

Oli_339 forfeited this round.
Rokelis

Con

Talking more about bullying and fashion, time saving point:

School uniform is just a very small part of this thing and it will not solve anything at all. Just because there are still a lot of things, gadgets that children's parents buy for their kids depending on their family's capital. Starting from new fashionable clothes, jackets, boots and more clothes. Ofcourse we must mention gadgets : smartphones, iPads and etc.
We cannot forget watches, earrings or any other jewellery that is popular especially between teenagers.

To sum up, school uniforms cannot solve any bullying or fashion questions, because it is just a small part of everything.
Oli_339

Pro

First: whoever commented thanks for the comment.
Opponent this was his comment: Uniform in schools should be exist, because it helps to children to educate better, I mean the same uniform makes a "team" spirit, everyone is equal. And children do not waste time in the morning getting ready. School uniforms may significantly reduce peer pressure. With students not having to worry about their looks, fitting in not longer becomes the main worry in kid's lives. School uniforms may also provide a way out for poor children who otherwise couldn't keep up with the trends and would face ridicule or pressure from other child.

I would like to agree. He made a very good point in that.

Jewelry: Not very many children wear jewelry. But older children do. Most schools sell spirit things. Example Wolfpack: wolf paw earrings, or necklace. My school does that.
Rokelis

Con

All this time you ignore my arguments. As I see main problem here is bullying point.
I state that uniform cannot solve this problem at all. Please before going on answer to these questions :
What about cell-phones, tablets difference?
And other stuff like shoes, school bags, even pens or any other small things that kids can get on ?
The main thing I am trying to state is that if kids want to bully on a person, they will find anyway and the school uniform has nothing to do with it. School CANNOT MAKE kids equal inventory, stuff wise, because they cannot ensure everything.

And let's not forget that the main bullying point at the moment is kid's personality differences.
Oli_339

Pro

Oli_339 forfeited this round.
Rokelis

Con

I think I proved enough that school uniforms cannot solve any existing problems.
Posted by Abulkhair 3 years ago
Abulkhair
Uniform in schools should be exist, because it helps to children to educate better, I mean the same uniform makes a "team" spirit, everyone is equal. And children do not waste time in the morning getting ready. School uniforms may significantly reduce peer pressure. With students not having to worry about their looks, fitting in not longer becomes the main worry in kid's lives. School uniforms may also provide a way out for poor children who otherwise couldn't keep up with the trends and would face ridicule or pressure from other children.