Skeletonman1999
Backdragn52

Should Schools Spy On Cyberbullies

Skeletonman1999

Pro

First round is acceptance.
Backdragn52

Con

Waiting on you then, but I still want to voice the opinion on the fact that people are not going to stop bullying if they're spied on.
Skeletonman1999

Pro

Just to put this out; I'm not saying you have to give up your opinion. I feel That if the schools started spying on the bullies they will get caught and they will be punished for their actions. ("Teenage Suicide as a direct result of bullying is a very real threat. ... Also, suicide has been found to be the third leading cause of death for people in the age ... or a way to end abuse; cyber-bullying can provoke teens to commit suicide as well" -www.overcomebullying.org). I feel that if we start spying on cyberbullies it will cut back on the amount of teen suicides. I feel crappy enough having had friends kill themselves over bullying I can't begin to imagine how their parents feel.
Backdragn52

Con

I really do understand where you are coming from, but as someone who has personally experienced these things, I don't believe a school can properly handle the situation. For one they would have to forgo their no student contact policies to follow students on social media. Plus, detention does Not stop people from bullying. It pains me to say it, but when the Nationwide Rachel's Challenge came to my school, the program barely made a dent on bullies. Cyber bullies should be dealt with by police and law enforcers, due to the fact they have the ability to give harder punishment.
Skeletonman1999

Pro

I agree with you about the detention not helping the situation but that's when higher forces of punishment come in to play such as suspension or expulsion. And the rule about teachers not coming into contact with students will not be broken. If I understand correctly there is a program where Upper Staff in schools can see the screens of students without actually coming into contact with the students. Thus allowing them to look at what the students are on and to see if anything is going on that shouldn't be
Backdragn52

Con

Schools already restrict social media on school grounds, and people are constantly in trouble for cell phone use. But let me put it like this, if a school focuses harder on keeping track of cyber bullying, how are they going to pay attention to bullying on the home front? Real life bullying can be just as bad or worse. So long as two humans exist together, there will be conflict.
Skeletonman1999

Pro

But having restricted the access to social media doesn't stop the hackers of the school, who can find their way around blocked sites and sell that information. There are still kids out there that gain access to social media sites. Proxy Servers are another way that students can get around them. Cyber Bullying is one of the worst forms of bullying in my opinion because if something is posted it's there for the whole world to see.
Backdragn52

Con

True, but bullying out for the whole world to see is not much more different from physical bullying. Cyber bullying primarily shows the risks of a few hurt feelings, while in real life you get a black eye and a bloody nose.
Posted by Skeletonman1999 2 years ago
Skeletonman1999
good arguing and good luck. :)