BritishConservative
SBannister

Should Scotland have a second indepedance referendum?

BritishConservative

Con

Despite the Scottish referendum is over. We saw in the polls the SNP went flying up, there are some rumours that the majority of Scotland now favour Independence. The SNP excited to see these new polls, might see a second referendum in the making. Should Scotland have a second referendum?
SBannister

Pro

Firstly, I thank BritishConservative for starting this debate. It is a very contentious issue, and is no doubt one that will arise many times in the future.

I believe that Scotland should have a second Independence referendum. Whether it is next year, in five years, or in ten years, I believe that if the independence movement gathers enough support from the Scottish public, another referendum should be held to determine the true will of the people.

A recent Survation poll has shown that 80% of Scots would like to see another referendum on the question of independence some time in the future. (1) A resounding 59% would like to see it held within the next ten years.

Scottish voters are entitled to determine their country's future, and to deny them another referendum in the future would be denying them their right to self-determination. Scotland shouldn't be trapped inside a Union that is going in the opposite direction to Scottish public opinion.

The only fair way to determine the opinion of the Scottish people on this extremely important issue is to put the question to them at another referendum; if and when the independence movement gathers enough public support.

Source (1) : http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk...
BritishConservative

Con

BritishConservative forfeited this round.
SBannister

Pro

I eagerly await your reply, BritishConservative.
BritishConservative

Con

SBannister

Pro

SBannister forfeited this round.
BritishConservative

Con

SBannister

Pro

I am disappointed to see that BritishConservative has lost interest in this debate.
I will not introduce any new arguments until my opponent replies. My previous points still stand in their entirety, as my opponent has not attempted to rebut them in any way, nor present any counter arguments of their own.
BritishConservative

Con

SBannister

Pro

SBannister forfeited this round.
Posted by David2000 2 years ago
David2000
I would like to see a reliable source for these polls but I do agree completely, as a member of the Scottish Labour Party, that there is no need for a second independence referendum. It should als be noted that the Scottish Nationalist party did state that they would not ask for a second referendum in the near future, therefore it is highly unlikely of this happening anytime soon but i would like to see the arguments that the proposition attempt to make. Best of luck British Conservative,( even although I do NOT support the Conservatives in any way, shape or form).