vekoma123
SufferRepression

Should Sex Changes Be Covered by Health Insurance?

vekoma123

vekoma123

Con

This is a debate regarding whether or not sex change operations should be covered by health insurance.

I will be taking the side that they should not be covered by health insurance.

First round: Acceptance
Second round: Opening Arguments
Third round: Rebuttals and closing arguments

This is a serious debate, and no trolling will be allowed.
SufferRepression

Pro

I accept, and look forward to, the debate.

I will be affirming the resolution that sex changes should be covered by health insurance, meaning that those who seek for a different gender shall have it offered by Health Insurance.
vekoma123

Con

I would love to thank my opponent for his involvement, so let"s get started. In-depth, I will be arguing that such coverage should not be available because such operations are not emergencies or involve life-threatening illnesses.

Definition of Health Insurance: "A type of insurance coverage that pays for medical and surgical expenses that are incurred by the insured. Health insurance can either reimburse the insured for expenses incurred from illness or injury or pay the care provider directly."[1]

Here are the arguments I will use for why sex changes should not be covered:

1. Emergencies vs Personal Choice. Sex changes, like breast implants and hair transplants, are based on personal choices from the patient itself, and is therefore not an emergency. There is absolutely no physical harm or damage done to a person"s body if they don"t get the surgery, unless it"s self-harm by depression or the like.

2. Expenses. It is a very costly procedure, reaching into the $7000-$50,000 marks or more [2]. That being said, even though it could potentially drain a great amount on a patient"s finances depending on income, it, again, is personal choice and should not have to rely on insurance unless an operation has been botched or has caused greater physical damage.

3. Emotional health. Even though depression with pre-op can cause emotional stress or fear because of gender identification, there have been cases where people who have gone through surgery do not like their body or worse, feel like a monster [3]. That being the case, it"s sort of an issue where one could feel bad about gender identity and realignment regardless, but to prevent lawsuits or fault on others, such as the surgeons themselves, it should not have to be covered and by doing so, such issues will not be a problem, even though I cannot say I know enough about health coverage and how it is handled for people who wish to sue.

[1] http://www.investopedia.com...
[2] http://www.surgeryencyclopedia.com...
[3] http://www.charismanews.com...

I await your opening argument and we will do rebuttals in Round 3. Thank you!
SufferRepression

Pro

Before this, I had the entirety of my rebuttals typed out. However, I was researching on health insurance and now, I concede. Why?

Say, you purchased health insurance. Let's say, you wanted health insurance to cover sex change. You would have to sign on something. And then, they HAVE to deliver the requested amount of money. However, it's going to be wasteful; It's not even an emergency. It's very expensive.

The only way this would be acceptable is if money that belongs to YOU is payed.

You have nothing here to rebut if I don't list my rebuttal. So, I will now. It would be a waste of round.

3) It was YOUR decision for breast implants and hair transplant for a different gender! If you don't like either, you shouldn't have had health insurance cover sex change for you.
vekoma123

Con

My opponent seems to have slightly taken my side when it comes to price of insurance and for it not being an emergency,

'3) It was YOUR decision for breast implants and hair transplant for a different gender! If you don't like either, you shouldn't have had health insurance cover sex change for you.'

Well, this goes back to what I was saying. Because of it being personal decision, regardless of the results, it should not be covered.

I would like to thank my opponent for being able to debate when they could, and I will definitely take the comments on this debate in mind considering that I understand the circumstances. Vote con!
SufferRepression

Pro

"'3) It was YOUR decision for breast implants and hair transplant for a different gender! If you don't like either, you shouldn't have had health insurance cover sex change for you.'

Well, this goes back to what I was saying. Because of it being personal decision, regardless of the results, it should not be covered."

Well, I guess you've conceded this point. Anyway, you are victorious. I conceded the debate itself.

Well, vote Con! Thanks!
Posted by SufferRepression 3 years ago
SufferRepression
Dakota, I can't yet play devil's advocate. Other than that rebuttal, which my opponent concede the point, I have no way of defending the position I actually oppose.
Posted by SufferRepression 3 years ago
SufferRepression
Well, whiteflame, if he re-instigates this debate and invites you to be his opponent, I will be very interested on what you'll come up with.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
...Or that could happen. vekoma123, if you want to remake this and invite me, I'll debate you on this topic.
Posted by whiteflame 3 years ago
whiteflame
I'll be interested to track this one. It's an issue on which I would side with Pro, but we'll see what he comes up with.
Posted by SufferRepression 3 years ago
SufferRepression
My sincere apologies! I have really wasted your time!
Vote Placed by Actionsspeak 3 years ago
Actionsspeak
vekoma123SufferRepressionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession
Vote Placed by Dakota-Hiltzman 3 years ago
Dakota-Hiltzman
vekoma123SufferRepressionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Concession from Pro. In the future, don't forfeit a round just because you've had a change of opinion. It's fine to admit you've changed your opinion in the comments afterwards, but there's no harm in playing devils advocate.