Should Shakespeare be taught in high school

"Ignorance is the curse of God; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven." William Shakespeare wrote this in King Henry VI Part 2.
This quote demonstrates why he is the original "word guru." No one does it better than Shakespeare. Need I go on; must I point out that he wrote 37 plays and 154 sonnets, which are still quotes today. He is the most quoted author of the English language Shakespeare leads with a staggering 33,000 quotes. The Bible is quoted 25,000 times but is not an author. We would be doing our students a disservice if we did not teach his works.

Absolutely not.

First off, Sir Winston Churchill is clearly the most quoted author of the English Language. Not Shakespeare. See for example:

Bessie Bardford: Winston, you are drunk!
Churchill: And you madam are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober!

Lady Astor: Winston, were you my husband I would poison you!
Churchill: Madam, were I your husband I would drink it!

Churchill also received a multitude of literary prizes and authorship awards for his voluminous work on A History of English Speaking Peoples, and of course The Second World War (

Secondly, Romeo and company have no place in the era of high-speed communications, global audiences, and computerized messaging. Here, speed, accuracy, clarity of expression, and ease of translation is given a high precedence over all other aspects of the written-word. In the 21st century, multi-cultured people would rather have you say exactly what you mean than try to bedlam it into poetic junk that’s impossible to understand. Just imagine trying to translate “Why thou lovest, thou are sweets thy prince of cats” to Chinese or even normal English to know what I mean.

Finally, the language of the future is cleary 000s and 1s along with binary code. There are no jobs in poetry, and shakesphere will not be employable. And if any language is to be taught in schools these days, then it should be the one that is most universally spoken and most employable.

angelab01 forfeited this round.
Posted by whiteflame 11 months ago
>Reported vote: Dkice4// Mod action: Removed<

7 points to Pro. Reasons for voting decision: Although Pro forfeited, I agree with his stance here. As English speaking people, it would be a disservice to not learn or read such extraordinary works of literature. Those who do not believe in teaching Shakespeare have become the crowned heads of the dissolution of the English language. (I.e. texting, dumbed down reading, etc.)

[*Reason for removal*] (1) Clear vote bomb. The voter doesn't explain any point allocations beyond arguments. (2) The voter is clearly using bias as a means to make their vote. He states that he automatically agreed with Pro's stance and not his arguments, ignores the forfeit, and presents points not given in the debate as reasons for his decision. A vote is not an opportunity to explain why you agree with a certain side " you have to explain your decision based on the arguments they made, not what you believe.
Vote Placed by imabench 11 months ago
Reasons for voting decision: forfeited