Danxe.xoxo
Emilrose

Should Shakespeare still be taught in school?

Danxe.xoxo has forfeited round #2.

Danxe.xoxo

Con

No, Shakespeare shouldn't still be taught in schools. Teens need something more to relate too. I know it poetry and it being part of history. I'm 15 and we were reading Romeo and Juliet. The only problem is that Romeo and Juliet are really sexual. Teens today need something they can relate. Something they can be like oh, I've been in that situation before it sucked. But no we don't get books like that during school. We only get books from a long time ago to read in school which isn't cool. The library is filled with new and older books. I don't get why we can't read a newer book that all teens can relate too. There is a book out there that we all can relate too. Just the teachers want to be using the same book as all the other teachers and also, the same book teachers have been using every year for the past like 20 years. If anything Shakespeare should be taught in drama class, not an English class. That my opinion. My view on this subject is based on my final exam which is on Romeo and Juliet.
Emilrose

Pro

Accepted.

==Argument==

Now, in my view there is a lot to be gained from learning Shakespeare in school. And its relevance, unlike Con says, is very much related to the modern teaching of English--as the subject incorporates classic English literature as well. It surely isn't just about learning how to construct proper sentences, grammar, etc. but also exploring the English language as a whole and looking at some of the most significant works that have been written in it.

Most if not all of Shakespeare's literacy is highly regarded--and many of the phrases that we have now derive from his writing (1.) http://www.bbcamerica.com...

Moreover, the stories told in his plays posses a timeless social relevance; and display great insight into the human condition. The themes often found are: love, lust, guilt, jealously, envy, greed, ambition, humor, and death--all things that are inevitably part of ones life. With Shakespeare, however, he used these themes and the complex characters of people from various backgrounds and created deeply intelligent and eloquent works with it.

So, not only does learning Shakespeare give students a historical insight but also a practical insight into human beings and life itself. Another work that is commonly taught in schools is 'Macbeth', which is a story of a man compelled into murder as a result of his own political ambition and his wife's persuasion. As the play progresses, he and his wife began to unravel and the story becomes gradually darker...with his wife essentially being driven to madness. Shakespeare's plays can indeed be adapted to any time, and certainly are intriguing and intellectually valuable--for both teenage school children and fully grown adults.

All students in high-school should be taught something about thinking critically, and his work encourages that; all the while incorporating the English language, poetry, history, art, and essentially psychology.

Posted by LuciferWept 8 months ago
LuciferWept
"I know it poetry and it being part of history." You need to read Shakespeare so you can learn all about "is", the verb to be.
Posted by Emilrose 8 months ago
Emilrose
Why do I feel that Con is just not going to come online again...
Posted by sboss18 8 months ago
sboss18
"The only problem is that Romeo and Juliet are really sexual. Teens today need something they can relate."
...What?