EthanSaldanha
jvenia

Should Space Exploration Projects Receive Increased Government Funding?

EthanSaldanha

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Introduce and Expand on Arguments
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Counter-rebuttals

This debate is relatively self-explanatory. I will argue for increased funding and my opponent will argue against it. Please exercise respectful conduct and base your arguments on logic. Prior to this debate, please ensure that you have a firm grasp of the basics of astronomy, systems ecology, and engineering.

I do not require you to cite sources, but it would be ideal.

Good luck to my opponent.
jvenia

Con

Maybe in the future we could increase government funding, but given are country's possession with debt I don't think we should putting money into it right now. Plus space exploration is kinda pointless at this time given the technology we have. Space is contently sending information back to Earth like light and certain waves of radiation. This makes it easy to observe and study space without having to leave earth.
EthanSaldanha

Pro

Before I introduce my argument, I would like to point out that my opponent opted not to cite any sources to support his information and also failed to adhere to the debate structure I established. Rather than confirming his acceptance, he disregarded my guidelines and presented his arguments in the first round. I now ask my opponent to reiterate his arguments in this round so as not to further disrupt the structure of the debate.

Here are my fundamental premises:

P1: It is confirmed that space has an abundance of almost all of the natural resources found on Earth and can be tapped into with the proper technology. By employing techniques such as asteroid and comet mining, we can acquire an immense amount of raw materials, the profit from which will both boost economic growth and more than compensate for all the expenses. It was estimated in 1997 that a metallic asteroid with a diameter of about .99 miles could contain 20 trillion US dollars worth of resources. While asteroids contain minerals and materials with industrial applications, comets are rich in water and carbon based molecules which are vital to sustaining life. In addition, the materials available in space may become vital to supporting our increasingly growing civilization, which may eventually require more resources than the Earth can provide.

Source(s): http://chview.nova.org... http://en.wikipedia.org...

P2: When the Earth is rendered uninhabitable, the human race will be faced with extinction unless it can relocate to space. It is a given that eventually, the planet will either be destroyed or will undergo drastic environmental changes that are detrimental to the survival of the human race. A potential example of this is global warming, which can cause drought, increasingly intense storms, coastal floods which may engulf entire cities, and can melt the polar icecaps, causing a rise in sea level and releasing a devastatingly massive amounts of trapped gases into the atmosphere. Another more theoretical example is magnetic reversal, which would decimate electrical civilization and may leave us exposed to radiation from the sun. Even if we are able to adapt to these scenarios, we will have to face the eventual death of the sun, which will spell doom for humanity unless we can become independent of both the sun and the earth. We currently have the technology to establish self-sufficient habitats in outer space, which can serve as human colonies and will safeguard the future of our species in the event of a potential existential risk.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org... http://en.wikipedia.org...
jvenia

Con

jvenia forfeited this round.
EthanSaldanha

Pro

EthanSaldanha forfeited this round.
jvenia

Con

jvenia forfeited this round.
EthanSaldanha

Pro

EthanSaldanha forfeited this round.
jvenia

Con

jvenia forfeited this round.