Should Speaking English Be a Mandatory Requirement for U.S. Citizenship?

First Round Acceptance
Second Round Arguments
Third Round Rebuttals/Arguments
Fourth Round Rebuttals, No Further Arguments

I accept this debate.

I look forward to hearing your arguments and I wish you the best of luck in this debate.

I would like to start off my argument thanking Con for accepting the debate.

In order to become a citizen of the United States of America, certain requirements must be met. Being born in the United States, having parents who are U.S. citizens, or going through the naturalization process are way to become a citizen. These first two examples would more than likely permit the child to speak English as a second, if not first language, so I will focus on the naturalization process for this round.
The following scenarios are all examples that allow the naturalization process to begin.

You have been a permanent resident for at least 5 years and meet all other eligibility requirements, please visit our Path to Citizenship page for more information.
You have been a permanent resident for 3 years or more and meet all eligibility requirements to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen, please visit our Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens page for more information.
You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements. Visit the Military section of our website.
Your child may qualify for naturalization if you are a U.S. citizen, the child was born outside the U.S., the child is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met. Visit our Citizenship Through Parents page for more information. [1]

Now that I have discussed the requirements to go through naturalization, I will take time to explain what this process is, and the steps that one takes while going through this process.

This process begins with the filling out of form F-400, an application asking various questions about life before the states, family, etc. This then gets mailed to the USCIS for examination, and if accepted, the person is then brought in to an interview, much like one for a job. Here, questions about yourself, as well as the U.S. history will be asked. Knowing such things like the first President and the amount of states in the country are asked during this process. After the interview is held, and the person is accepted, an Oath of Allegiance is taken, completing the naturalization process. [2]

Now that I have explained these basic tasks to becoming a citizen, I will start my debate on the topic above. Why should people be required to learn English? Well, in America, 93% of citizens speak English. [3] This means that 7% are speaking Spanish, Chinese, French, Japanese, Russian, and many other world languages. If 93% of the country speaks English fluently, then how can the 7% hope to excel at life in the U.S.?

English is needed for many tasks and jobs in America, including bank tellers, CEO's, bartenders and even taxi drivers are needed to speak rough English. If the 7% of people coming over to this country don't learn English, they are almost destined to be stuck in a job paying minimum wage for their entire life.

So why would we allow poverty of people who are expected to learn English on their own? To solve this problem, we should allow English to be a mandatory requirement for the citizenship process.

I will end my debate here, as I do not want to use all of my arguments in round one, and I thank Con again for accepting the debate, and look forward to his reply.

bballboy9876 forfeited this round.

Con failed to present an argument for this round so I will wait to post any further arguments.

bballboy9876 forfeited this round.

Putt-Putt forfeited this round.

bballboy9876 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by Bannanawamajama 2 years ago