Fluffyboonycat
missbailey8

Should Standardized Testing Be Abolished?

Fluffyboonycat

Con

I firmly believe that Standard testing should not be abolished. For one, standardized testing help in the future. Next, they help motivate students to study often. What are some other reasons?
missbailey8

Pro

I accept your debate! Let's get this started, shall we? Good luck!
Fluffyboonycat

Con

In my perspective, standardized testing guide parents on how their children are doing. Standardized testing also help in the future, such as scholarships. If you are born in a wealthy family, good, you are able to go to college. If you are not born with a very wealthy family, you may not have the time or money for college. Standardized testing provide good chances to getting a free scholarship to college, and can also guide teachers. The thing with standardized testing is that they determine who is falling behind, so they can catch up. Standardized testing also help students not be far ahead, nor far behind. Without this structure, a third grade and a sixth grade teacher could be teaching the same curriculum, or even the exact same lessons. This gets you nowhere, either than perhaps a renewal of learning which is not meant to be taught in your grade. Standardized testing also compare worldwide schools. Perhaps you're in need of better education! You then can look which schools have the best rating, and decide to transfer to that particular school. If you are not in much need of extra work, perhaps you look at the lower ratings for schools and decide to transfer there. As shown, I firmly believe that standardized testing should not be abolished in schools across America. Standardized testing play a very big role to the future, and the past.
missbailey8

Pro

In my opening arguments, I would like to reference multiple ways standardized may not be the best ways to show a student's ability.
1. Students know the tests will affect them in the future and it's is possible for children to cheat on the test, which defeats the purpose of measuring the ability of a student based on testing.
2. Typically, teachers and students don't receive the test scores until months later, so neither know what they need to work on with teaching/in class.
3. Standardized tests don't value creativity. The options on the test may not click for the student, so they may write in an answer not available. Instead of viewing this as a good attempt of thinking outside the box, the computer simply marks it as a wrong answer and discards it.
4. Similarly, on the writing tests, students usually are contained within 2-5 pages. What good does this do? What about the children who exceed the standards in writing? They're practically put in a small box and punished if they go outside of it. You get points taken off from going over a page or two!
5. With standardized tests, math and reading are the main focus. This puts less care into science, history, and arts. I don't even remember taking a standardized history or science test until middle school. Hell, I never even took any arts tests.
6. Huge tests like this give loads of stress to students. There are cases of children passing out in the middle of standardized tests from stress.
7. If a student scores well on a test, then it is assumed that they know the material. However, this may not be true at all. The student may have simply memorized the fact or formula or trick necessary to do well on the test (some students are naturally gifted in taking standardized tests, others are not).

Thank you for reading my side. I'm looking forward for the rest of the debate.
Fluffyboonycat

Con

Fluffyboonycat forfeited this round.
missbailey8

Pro

As pro forfeited, there is no need for closing statements. Thank you for the debate.