yaseminandjordan
aburk903

Should Stores Be Open On Thanskgiving

aburk903

yaseminandjordan

Con

I do not think stores should be open on Thanksgiving because Thanksgiving is the day to be thankful of what you have and not what you can get for a cheap deal at a store. Some people don't have anyone to spend it with or the people they spend it with they hardly see so they cherish those moments.
aburk903

Pro

Thanks for the topic, Con. To begin, I'd like to point out exactly what is being debated here. Neither side is arguing that 1) stores be forced to stay open or 2) that stores be forced to close. The word should in the resolution implies whether or not it would be most prudent for stores in general to stay open on Thanksgiving. The scale of this topic is obviously relative to the United States. This being established, my two contentions are:

1. Staying Open Benefits the Stores
This first contention is fairly straightforward. If the store in question remains open during the holiday, it gains profit. If the store in question closes for the holiday, it loses profit. This establishes the benefit for remaining open during the holiday. For my opponent to succeed in proving the resolution, it must be proven that this benefit is outweighed by some higher benefit. I propose that this is not the case, because the stores benefit via my proposition and lose profit via my opponent's.

2. The Nature of Thanksgiving
There is no intrinsic value in Thanksgiving. Individual's should always be grateful for the things that they have, and if my opponent feels that this can only be achieved by closing down stores, then it should surely occur more frequently then once annually. Additionally, my opponent adds that some people do not have anyone with which to spend the holiday. Closing stores has great potential to restrict this individual's options for recreation and informal social activity on the day in question and so could pose some harm to the well-being of the individual who faces some degree of isolation during the holiday. Overall, no overwhelming value has been presented to support my opponent's resolution.
yaseminandjordan

Con

yaseminandjordan forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

All arguments extended from Round 1.
yaseminandjordan

Con

yaseminandjordan forfeited this round.
aburk903

Pro

Vote Pro, ladies and gentlemen.
Vote Placed by Gabe1e 2 years ago
Gabe1e
yaseminandjordanaburk903Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.