Hasteify
Stonewall

Should Students Be Paid to Go to School?

Stonewall

Hasteify

Pro

Should students be paid to go to school? It seems fair to me. Spending 6 hours in classrooms, doing hardwork. How would it be if you weren't paid to go to work? Would you want to do your best?
Stonewall

Con

Thank you for the opportunity to debate this topic.

There is absolutely nothing in the course of a day at school for students that is worth getting paid for, with the slight, slight exception of maybe sports. School is designed entirely for the benefit of students-- there are perhaps as much as dozens of different classes depending on where you go to school, each with the intent of making you a better, more productive, and more knowledgable person in society. In elementary and some of middle school, there are 30-minute breaks throughout the day to release your pent-up energy. In some schools, lunches are entirely free; in others, only some get this privelege.

"How would it be if you weren't paid to go to work?"

Working and studying are two entirely different things. The two are not even comparable. At a job, you are being paid to do a job only a select few people can do. Depending on how much you mean to your company, and how irreplacable you are at your task, you will be paid a certain amount. Children and adolescents merely have to show up, listen, and go home, and do this 8-3 five days a week. They're not doing any particular task or benefiting anyone else (with the exception of teachers). Paying kids to go to school is more comparable to paying customers for shopping at your store. This would clearly be counter-productive.

Also, receiving money would not be an incentive for students. In fact, it would merely be exploited to its full extent. How many students just show up to school, zone out, and do nothing productive all day? We're supposed to pay these students? The only way money serves as an incentive to these kids is to show up at all. Most students already show up regularly, and paying them would merely only increase enrollment. This, in itself, is not an admirible goal.

Another problem that arises is deciding who will pay for such an idea. Schools all around the nation are suffering terribly, and paying the students would merely tag on another issue for the economic woes. The nation is 17 trillion dollars in debt, and paying kids to go to school is not only foolish, but incredibly detrimental to this as well.

I look forward to my opponent's response. If aspects of how they are paid and the way they are rated is addressed, I'll be happy to revoke certain parts of my argument.
Hasteify

Pro

Hasteify forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Con

I'm still open to my opponent's points.
Hasteify

Pro

Hasteify forfeited this round.
Stonewall

Con

Vote for whoever made the better argument.
Posted by Darris 3 years ago
Darris
The reason I think students should be paid to go to school is because it will ensure that those students are focusing on school work.
While I was in university, I worked almost full-time (30-34 hours a week) and I had B's and C's. During a period between jobs, I had straight A's.
It could be argued that I could have worked harder and still got those A's, but not everyone could.
Additionally, it would crush the student debt problem in the US at the moment.

On the flip-side, I agree with Stonewall that people should be paid according to the good/service they provide, so paying students with that in mind would be a net loss.

That's why I favor a citizen's dividend. I have a debate on it if you're interested in learning more. A citizen's dividend would allow the student (or anyone) not to work if they didn't want to. It would level the employment field. Whereas at present a person has no choice but to work for someone else to join society, with a dividend, they could join capitalism without subjecting themselves to the whims of another.
Posted by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
Conduct, obviously for the forfeits. Nobody sourced, and the S&G, such as it was, seemed equal enough.

On to arguments:

Pro presented a very weak case, that Con responded to. All of the points Con made were dropped due to forfeit, so, arguments to Con.

I will point out a bit of trivia to Con and to Pro, unrelated to scoring, though. Paying students to improve in school (which is not the direct debate topic here) has been tried--and shown to be ineffective. Though it might be interesting in the overall context (it was on a Freakonomics podcast awhile back--quick Googling got me this: http://larrycuban.wordpress.com...)
Vote Placed by Darris 3 years ago
Darris
HasteifyStonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think arguments could be made for both sides that students should be paid to attend school. I was looking forward to the debate after the first two rounds. I do dislike seeing rounds forfeited.
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 3 years ago
bladerunner060
HasteifyStonewallTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD in comments.