Should Students Have Dress Codes?

I believe students should wear apparel that is comfortable with their standards.

I will take the Con side of this argument. By dress codes I make the assumption my opponent means a school uniform? Or just having specific rules regarding clothing worn at school? I personally attend a school that has no dress code standards, but I can see the benefits of having one. Below I would like to list my main points about this issue.

- Modesty in today's society has plummeted
- A school uniform eliminates the possibility of peer pressure in dress and equalizes those who wear it
- A school uniform saves the trouble of enforcing dress standards

Thank you for this debate, and for your care in this topic that is a key issue today.

I am immensely impressed with your response and you have convinced me that school dress code is needed for essential reasons. I thank you for participating in my debate.

I'm going to make the assumption that my opponent has withdrawn from the debate, although if this is not the case I will continue with my main points in greater detail.

Modesty in today's society has plummeted

This is clearly seen in today's clothing standards. If you don't believe me, simply look at today's pop stars (Miley Cyrus, Rihanna, etc.). I am not commenting on their music, but merely the role model they portray to young individuals today.

A school uniform eliminates the possibility of peer pressure in dress and equalizes those who wear it

I believe a common stereotype is that of British school children in their school clothes (Chronicles of Narnia..?) The point being is that those families that may have lower income than other families could not afford better clothes for their children. As commonly addressed in public schools, fashion has much to do with what people wear. A school uniform applies equality among all individuals and gives an excellent option to those that may not be able to afford better clothes.

A school uniform saves the trouble of enforcing dress standards

Dress standards are and must be enforced. I will use my own school as an example. If a girl walks into school with too much cleavage exposed, the principal or any of his assistants/teachers have the right to tell them to cover up or go home and change. Unfortunately, my school does not have the benefit of school uniforms. If school uniforms were put into place, it would eliminate the need for dress enforcement altogether.

Thank you

HallowedByTheName forfeited this round.

Inspired forfeited this round.
Posted by KaleBevilacqua 2 years ago
Why is modesty a good thing, though? What is the reason our human race needs to hide its bodies? There's no shame in arms, no shame in foreheads, no shame in feet, no shame in tummies, no shame in chests, no shame in vulvas. It's an evolved societal construct, but I don't see any measurable benefits from modesty. As long as others are not harmed, let folks dress however they find suitable. Clothing shouldn't define identity or worth.