honasababa
Blade-of-Truth

Should Students Have Freedom of Expression Online?

Blade-of-Truth

honasababa

Con

I think that students should not be able to have freedom of expression online. We thought that students were mature enough to understand the goods and bads of the internet, but they are still not mature. Students in high schools still don't understand it. Students are suiciding because of these other students having "freedom of expression online." I think that a lot of students are still not mature enough to have their freedom of expression online. They might post or do something online that will hurt others. This is why I think students should not be able to have freedom of expression online.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

I believe students should be able to have freedom of expression online.

First and foremost, I will define Freedom of Expression as the following: Right to express one's ideas and opinions freely through speech, writing, and other forms of communication but without deliberately causing harm to others' character and/or reputation by false or misleading statements.

http://www.businessdictionary.com...

I. Legality

Freedom of speech, of the press, of association, of assembly and petition -- this set of guarantees, protected by the First Amendment, comprises what I refer to as freedom of expression. The Supreme Court has written that this freedom is "the matrix, the indispensable condition of nearly every other form of freedom." Without it, other fundamental rights, like the right to vote, would wither and die.

https://www.aclu.org...

If one was to attempt to stop the students from enjoying the freedoms guaranteed by our Constitution, it would result in the swift disciplinary actions of the federal courts. Not only would stopping the students' rights be unconstitutional but it would be hindering the freedom to explore, learn, and collaborate on a global forum - which is exactly what the Internet is. By forbidding their freedoms and rights as young American citizens, what sort of example would we be setting for the rest of the world? For a country that promotes freedom for all, it would be awfully hypocritical to strip our youngest generations, who will someday be leaders and lawmakers themselves, of their basic rights as guaranteed by the standards we set forth to follow when first forming this Nation.

II. Personal Development

As I stated above, the Internet is a forum that connects individuals from all around the world to vast amounts of information that was previously inaccessible. With the invent of the Internet, many people were finally able to transcend beyond the limitations of prior methods of communication and connect to others from all corners of our world. The information being transferred between the nations because of the Internet is a new phenomenon that we are all responsible for by partaking in its ever-growing size, depth and scope. How would we ever be able to compete on a global scale of information exchange if we were to strip the ability to pursue such actions? In order to remain a top contender on the global scale when it comes to general knowledge, practical social skills, and the ever-growing information business sectors, we must continue the practice of utilizing the Internet in the education system.

III. Responsibility

My opponent has made it apparent that a major concern is that students are still not mature enough. While the term students could be applied to anyone who is attending schools whether it be elementary school or post-graduate studies at a University, I will assume that they meant the lower schools such as elementary or even middle school. With that said, instead of viewing this as a negative - I believe it would be productive to view it as an opportunity to implement new courses designated at teaching young children how to carry themselves online in a respectable manner. I believe a major cause of this "immaturity" as my opponent claims would be the lack of transitioning our youth from a world where just one generation before, the Internet was barely around - to modern generations where the Internet is accessible even in public places. I would personally view this as a challenge to our current educational paradigms to evolve into the modern era of schooling methodology in which computer use and knowledge is as important as any other major component of the adult life that we should be learning about.

Furthermore, my opponent has claimed that there is alot of "suiciding" being done by students because of other students. While it cannot be denied that student-on-student hate is a major source for minors committing suicide, I would argue that this has absolutely nothing to do with freedom of expression and rather the individuals ability to cope with the stresses of adolescence. To blame the Internet as the only source for suicidal tendencies in minors is absurd. Which is exactly the point my opponent is trying to make. In truth, there are many factors that might cause a minor to carry out the act of suicide. Suicide itself is not a new phenomenon but rather an age-old act carried out by countless humans throughout history. In fact, even ancient Egypt has recorded suicides as early as 4,000 years ago. More often than not, suicidal tendencies can be stifled if brought to the attention of an adult. If we truly wish to associate Internet usage with suicide, then the only realistic solution to prevent such things would be to implement classes for young children introducing them to methods of interacting on the Internet responsibly. If we teach them to prepare for hate mail, indecent images and methods of trolling - they would be better prepared to handle the stresses associated with such things.

IV. Incompetence of original argument

Although I have spent the entire argument presenting counter-points to the initial claims made by my opponent, I feel it is necessary to stress the fact that the entire argument was based off of a misunderstanding of what Freedom of Expression actually means.

If anything, I believe the Con was thinking that Freedom of Expression is something like bullying or trolling. If you replaced the words Freedom of Expression in the Con's initial argument with the word bullying or trolling. If anything, the Con might of been implying that children who use the Internet should be subject to censorship or moderation. If this is the case, the point is still moot for the following reasons:

Many schools such as elementary and middle school (even some high schools) do, in fact, censor the students' access to certain websites. Even in my own personal experience in high school there were websites that I could not visit using the school Internet browser. This is already protected and carried out due to current law.

http://www.ncsl.org...

Furthermore, most Internet browsers and other web-capable applications do have parent guards or other user-friendly options for the parents who wish to set up the access capabilities of their children's Internet and other computer programs, this even includes the commonly used XBOX Live which allows parents to alter the age-restrictions of certain programs.

http://support.xbox.com...

honasababa

Con

honasababa forfeited this round.
Blade-of-Truth

Pro

I would like to take this time to thank my opponent for starting this topic. Unfortunately, my opponent has forfeited the final round. Regardless, it was a pleasure exploring this topic and I appreciate the initial challenge.

Since I have already provided the rebuttal against my opponent in the first round, I feel there is nothing more that needs to be contributed to this particular debate. Once again, thank you for the opportunity and I look forward to any and all challenges from my opponent in the future.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
honasababaBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Damn another forfeit.
Vote Placed by yay842 3 years ago
yay842
honasababaBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF, in only 2 rounds, Con only posted in the 1st round and left Pro hanging
Vote Placed by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
honasababaBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: RFD- arguments pertinent to legality, society at large. Convincing. Conduct - con forfeit Sources- Pro had several respected sources that were used well
Vote Placed by progressivedem22 3 years ago
progressivedem22
honasababaBlade-of-TruthTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con forfeited, and Pro made arguments with sources.