Tyler_Putney
vmpire321

Should Students be Required to Take General Education Classes?

Tyler_Putney

Tyler_Putney

Con

General Education classes are required for all students regardless of major, minor or schooling background, and include classes that may have nothing to do with the desired major or field of the student. The format for this debate will be as follows.
Round One: Acceptance Only, No Arguments
Round Two: Opening Arguments, No Rebuttals
Round Three: Second Arguments, Rebuttals
Round Four: No New Arguments, Rebuttals, Closing Remarks

If you wish to accept, I would like a serious debate, please no trolling, no offensive language/name calling. Keep it professional.

If you accept this debate you are agreeing to the above terms and format, and I look forward to exploring this topic with you.
vmpire321

Pro

I accept. Good luck! :)
Tyler_Putney

Con

Thank you Pro for accepting the debate challenge. I look forward to debating with you, and good luck.

To start off, I will be arguing on the premise of college level general education requirements. While I DO believe that general education classes should be mandatory in high school, I firmly believe they serve no purpose in higher level education for the student, and only benefit the institution in terms of money being attained.

I will briefly explain what a general education class is, for clarification. "GE [General Education] is the group of broad, entry-level classes to satisfy a university"s standard for creating a diverse, well-rounded student body." [1] However, I believe that general education courses no longer serve a major purpose in today's society, as many students find these general education classes in high schools, allowing students to become well rounded before entering college.

For most of this debate, I will be using statistics from my current school, Missouri Southern State University, the cheapest university in the state of Missouri, to provide financial backgrounds on general education classes.

To highlight a point made in my opening statement, it is undeniable that the university uses general education classes as a means to take more money from their students. For example, as a Biology and Secondary Education dual major, I am required to take various classes that have absolutely nothing to do with my major. [2] One of the best examples of this, is Music Appreciation, a 3 hour class based on the history of music, from the Dark Ages to present day. For this one class, that will have no impact on my career field OR future college career, it costs $177.03 per credit hour. If you multiply this by 3 for the classes credit hour, my cost for music appreciation comes to a total of $531.09. [3] That is money that could have gone to furthering my understanding in either the biology or education fields, but instead, I was required to take that class to graduate. Now remember this is just one class. A class such as music appreciation would make sense for a music major, but does not necessarily fit into the background of a biology/secondary education major.

To finish up round one of my argument, I would like to state that I believe that if a student has not yet declared a major, it makes much more sense to require those students to have general education requirements. But for students who have found their passion, requirements that do nothing more than make them spend unnecessary money should no longer be put into effect.

1. http://www.campusexplorer.com...
2. http://www.mssu.edu...
3. http://www.mssu.edu...
vmpire321

Pro

vmpire321 forfeited this round.
Tyler_Putney

Con

As my opponent has forfeited the last round, I will not add any new arguments this round. I hope to see again from my opponent within the next round.
vmpire321

Pro

vmpire321 forfeited this round.
Tyler_Putney

Con

Unfortunately my opponent has forfeited another round. I'm sorry to see this happen, as I was extremely interested to see where this argument could have led. Voters, vote Con in this debate.
vmpire321

Pro

vmpire321 forfeited this round.
Posted by Tyler_Putney 1 year ago
Tyler_Putney
It can be either or. My main argument was for students in college. I understand the necessity for them in High School, but not in college
Posted by themohawkninja 1 year ago
themohawkninja
Are we talking students in all levels of education here, or are we limiting it?
Vote Placed by U.n 11 months ago
U.n
Tyler_Putneyvmpire321Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.
Vote Placed by JustAnotherFloridaGuy 11 months ago
JustAnotherFloridaGuy
Tyler_Putneyvmpire321Tied