srhelsel609
Lexus

Should Students vote in local school broad elections.

Lexus

srhelsel609

Pro

The debate is whether or not, students should have the right to vote in school board elections? I am the pro side. We , the students are mostly effected by the school board elections. We want someone that listens to the students to as well as their parents. School is foundation for your careers. We should have a say in how our own schools are run.
Lexus

Con

I accept this debate.
I will be saying that students, collectively, should not be able to vote in local school board elections. I am not saying that some students shouldn't, but students as a collective should not. My arguments will mostly be based on the fact that a kindergartener or a 3rd grader doesn't understand what is happening around them or what policies each candidate will try to implement.
I will expound on this idea in the following rounds
srhelsel609

Pro

on the kindergarten and younger students, could vote, if the teachers or parents took a day before the election, to explain the issues and what each candidate's agendas in "laid men terms". But the issues effective us ( the students) more that most. This could also be useful for practicing for when you turn 18 and vote. (we should actually lower the voting age for all elections-http://www.debate.org... )
Lexus

Con

The real problem for allowing all students to vote in local school board elections is that they don't understand the issues, and that they would vote against things that are in their best interest.

For example, a kindergartner cannot understand what electing a certain school board member would mean for them, and in the idea of their best interests we shouldn't allow people to be voted by a broad electorate of people that cannot even read. The democratic process is something that should be respected, and allowing someone the age of 4 to vote on their school board members without understanding what changes would occur goes against any idea of self-interest.

Students would also vote for school board members that do not act in the best interest of the schools. For example, they would vote for a school board member that advocates for no dress code whatsoever, even though this would have some very bad consequences. They may vote for someone that promises to give all students A's no matter what - that is not in the best interest of their education.

Whether or not the things affect them, that doesn't mean they should have a say in the democratic process. There aren't any reasons for WHY we should allow the students to vote except that it would be democratic... so what? That'd bring insane challenges to the school board as a whole.
srhelsel609

Pro

No I disagree. People who would vote against the best interest of the school, would probably not vote, because they usually don't care. But still students need a voice in their education system. A lot of students understand the importance of dress codes and other such policies. We are the ones mostly affects. But the school has to make a final call on it and the school board members are adults, they will guide us to make a fair just decisions.
Lexus

Con

My opponent has just reiterated their views without addressing my refutations competently, so I don't see a reason to expend more time on the last round. Vote con.
Vote Placed by Cotton_Candy 1 year ago
Cotton_Candy
srhelsel609LexusTied
Reasons for voting decision: I didn't really like how CON tried to capitalize PRO in R1 by pushing the resolution semantics to the point of absurdness, I mean kindergarteners, seriously? As CON for this resolution I don't think there might have been any sparsity for arguments arguing for students even in the high school level and I see CON's move in R1 an attempt to get an easy win.But nevertheless, since PRO condoned this move of CON in R2 and didn't attempt any kind of proscription, whatsoever, I guess I'll just placate my feeling in the light of the fact that PRO probably meant the resolution to mean as such. Anyway, with that said, this debate was all down-hill for CON. PRO's piss poor arguments obviated any ambiguity in judging the winner for this debate. So congratulations CON.....on your noob-snipe. :P Happy to clarify my RFD.