Berend
kurosakiichigo

Should Suicide be Legal?

Berend

Berend

Pro

This is both acceptance and clarification. Not only is this about it allowed to be legal or illegal, but this includes assisted. Meaning anyone who gives even a sliver of hope to the person should not be prosecuted for a crime. This is the allowance of one to do with their life similar to the law in Oregon, but not having to be ill.

1) Acceptance
2) Opening Statement
3) Rebuttal
4) Rebuttal
5) Closing Statement
kurosakiichigo

Con

Hi. Hope to have a fun debate
So, I'm for not legalizing suicide right?
Just for clarification
Berend

Pro

Thank you for accepting this, I also hope no one thinks me cruel by my stance and hope it becomes clear as to what I view and mean, as for my opponent. Sadly, because of the topic, my opening will not be a giant wall of text, or I hope not by the time I finish.

My position is the support of legalizing suicide completely and without the use of jailing those who might 'encourage'. By this I do not mean assisted in the sense of telling them to go kill themselves in a cruel way, rather if told they are going to do it, replying a "That is your choice not mine." should not place you in the cell house. I am vague in my own mind on what points too address this in by the best standard I can, so bear with me if possible.

1. People Have Choices And Do Not

My first argument I wish to start with is that people have choices and can make them. As such, we are wrought into the world without a choice and to end your own life, to control that sliver of choice on your own life, should indeed be your choice. This is not completely based on mentally or fatally ill people or even the 'emo', rather depressed, without hope, you name it, kind of people. This goes for even people who have experienced all they have and think that if they were too die, they should be able to and do so now if they so choose.

A person should have the right to end their life at their choice and time. For example, if I felt there was nothing more I wanted in life, I was content with it, I would like to end my life now and let the world move on. Not because I am depressed or sick, but it works like those who are sick, like the women who moved to Oregon to do it, because of my own choice. Jailing those who agree or support a view as this is wrong, it also removes the aspect of the right, the freedom of speech, because you should never be responsible for ones actions, even if you tell them that their choice is their own.

2. It's Selfish To Also Prevent It And To Push Your View

I firmly believe it to be selfish to kill yourself, yes, but also to tell someone not to kill themselves. The reason is you see it in your view not theirs, if we see this as not the traditional depression form of suicide. By telling people killing themselves to be wrong is to be selfish enough to tell people your view and demand on psychological views to accept and see the world in your view, how they are wrong to disagree on self killing. The reason being, one saying they wish to end themselves and telling them it is wrong, which is your view, is selfish because you expect people to accept your view. While it is selfish to end your own life, it isn't the bad selfish in the sense of doing it to better yourself and demand others too accept, simply doing too yourself what it too happen too all; difference is you choose and you let others know this is your choice and are happy with it.

However, to tell someone in this mindset that they are wrong and should not kill themselves are being selfish in the sense that they go out of their way to tell that person that their own subjective view, their opinion and mindset to be wrong, even more so for others to declare selfish only to be seen as hypocrites.

3. Depression Suicide

This one is difficult, and to everyone reading, be aware I am not myself completely sure the best route to talk on this. It is VERY controversial and I ask you to just bear with me. This is a rhetorical debate after all.

Now, people who have times similar to this state, you name it, it would be like the girl who killed herself on December 28th, 2014, Leelah Alcorn. A state which many people have felt like ending ones life is the only choice left. I am not saying this is right or wrong, that I agree or not, as it is like with abortion. With abortion I am pro-choice. This does not mean pro-abortion, not in the slightest. I would never get involved with abortion myself, I do not think I would agree too it unless it was needed, but I am for the choice that people have the right to do so if they have the choice rather than it being completely bad. Something many think is so black and white it is pro-choice (abortion -not true-) or pro-life. It is not so clean cut and clear down the middle. Likewise, I think if one wished too, they should be able to make the choice.

If a friend came too me, who was in the same case as Leelah Alcorn, I would tell them that if they think that, they can do it if they wish. It is after all their choice and at death, nothing happens. So it would be a simple absolute end. I will not get into a debate on religion, after life and science on that, I will leave it at that for after life. However, it would be the good thing to do if you wanted eternal 'peace', a means to end all suffering for yourself. I would only add, as should many if possible, that their are other possible means to explore other than outright killing yourself, but you can and I would not object too it as it is not right for me to force my view on you and make you do what I think if personally right for you.

Conclusion of a World Like This And How It should be Handled

In such a world, if death was allowed, it should be done in special ways. I felt bad for Leelah Alcorn, but her style of death was down right stupid in my view. It was inconsiderate of others and hardly anyone speaks of the truck driver. If you wish to kill yourself, one should have places to do it, not doing it where others will be greatly affected. Such a choice that she made could have great effects on the driver, having had the experience of running a young girl down. So, in such a world where people can kill themselves if they so wish, it should be set to be done in special ways, like not infringing or affecting others.

As harsh as it is, no one should throw themselves at someone and have someone kill them if they want no part in it, it can greatly effect the person you do it too. People might even end up with PTSD and who knows how they might react in a car, or might even swerve to avoid the person, causing a deadly wreck. So things would need to also be set up to allow this to work without people wanting no part in it or unaware, to be involved.

I will end my opening here and say that the allowing of one to kill themselves, both mentally ill, physically and internally ill and even normal (not depressed, just normal regular people, like elderly) should all have the right too. Even so much to say that jailing people for not preventing it to be wrong also. Thank you.
kurosakiichigo

Con

kurosakiichigo forfeited this round.
Berend

Pro

Arguments extended.
kurosakiichigo

Con

kurosakiichigo forfeited this round.
Berend

Pro

Arguments extended.
kurosakiichigo

Con

kurosakiichigo forfeited this round.
Berend

Pro

My opponent has seceded, vote pro.
kurosakiichigo

Con

kurosakiichigo forfeited this round.
Posted by n7natnat 1 year ago
n7natnat
I agree with pro. The only reason we say it's wrong is based off our bias ideals and morals. Everyone has a right to their will as long as they take responsibility for it. Which they will whether they wish to or not. I am an existentialist and I belive that people decide what is right and wrong for themeselves, even if it does not concur with me. It is their right, whether I like it or not. Life doesn't come with a handbook on how to live, so we made it up. Religion, philosophy, laws: they all do this. Just overall, I am pro for this argument. If you want to know more as to my reasons why, research existentialism my dear aquaintances. We (whether you are aware of it or not) are all existentialists.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
Well, it's good to be clear, because this can easily get into crime, and criminals could find ways to use 'legal suicide' and legal 'assisted suicide' to their advantage. Which is why I try to stress what I can on assisted. Because I could go to jail for simply telling someone it is their choice, because it 'encourages' them.
Posted by Stefy 1 year ago
Stefy
Assisted yes. Other type...i dont really know how you would enfirce that.
Posted by Berend 1 year ago
Berend
That it correct. Your side is against it.
Posted by WaywardSon 1 year ago
WaywardSon
Great topic, following this debate.
Vote Placed by lannan13 1 year ago
lannan13
BerendkurosakiichigoTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture
Vote Placed by dexterbeagle 1 year ago
dexterbeagle
BerendkurosakiichigoTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF all points go to Pro.