Cooldudebro
SoloNo.1

Should Tarot Cards Be Considered Good?

SoloNo.1

Cooldudebro

Pro

First round is for acceptance. Good luck!
SoloNo.1

Con

I accept your argument, and confirm that I am arguing that it is not true that tarot cards should be considered good.
Cooldudebro

Pro

Thank you for accepting. Please do not forfeit. Forfeiture equals a 7 point drop. Keep in mind I am not talking about the scam tarot readers, I am talking about the cards.

Case 1: The good it can do.

Lets say Don and Shella have a tarot reading. It says there will be danger on the road. Don and Shella were about to go to a bar, and have a couple drinks. They have two kids, with no one to take them in if Don and Shella died. They decide to skip the drinks, or find someone that can drive them home. This PREVENTS THEIR DEATH! Now, two people are saved from the clutches of death, and two innocent souls are not harmed by the effects of their parents actions, if they listened to the tarot.

Case 2: My own personal experience

My mom and grandmother used to do the tarot cards, but later stopped to follow the Bible. When I had my friend sleep over, we begged her to do the tarot. After an hour of begging, she finally whipped out her old deck. She did a reading for me and my best friend. My reading startled me. It said that someone close to me would face a life/death experience, but be saved by someone. My family member smoked since she was a teen, and have to have a artificial treach. She has to sleep and hook it up to a machine, but the machine needs water. my family member went to sleep, and forgot to refill her water! So their she was, choking, close to death, when the maid came in and saved her life. I was so baffled by this experience, I will never look at the cards the same way again.

Case 3: What is so bad?

The Bible said it is bad, but is wrong in many of it's passages, and is so superficial. The cards let me know that my family member was about to die. That is not bad at all. It saves lives!

I hand the debate over to con. Good luck.
SoloNo.1

Con

Thank you. I will now argue against your points.

"Lets say Don and Shella have a tarot reading. It says there will be danger on the road. Don and Shella were about to go to a bar, and have a couple drinks. They have two kids, with no one to take them in if Don and Shella died. They decide to skip the drinks, or find someone that can drive them home. This PREVENTS THEIR DEATH! Now, two people are saved from the clutches of death, and two innocent souls are not harmed by the effects of their parents actions, if they listened to the tarot."

This is fallacious reasoning. Sensible parents would have remembered to have not drunk and drove, and the tarot cards in this scenario only reminded the parents of this. The parents might as well be reminded by a MADD poster or just remember from their own knowledge that DUI is a highly unsafe practice. Tarot cards are not the heroes here. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

"My mom and grandmother used to do the tarot cards, but later stopped to follow the Bible. When I had my friend sleep over, we begged her to do the tarot. After an hour of begging, she finally whipped out her old deck. She did a reading for me and my best friend. My reading startled me. It said that someone close to me would face a life/death experience, but be saved by someone. My family member smoked since she was a teen, and have to have a artificial trachea. She has to sleep and hook it up to a machine, but the machine needs water. my family member went to sleep, and forgot to refill her water! So their she was, choking, close to death, when the maid came in and saved her life. I was so baffled by this experience, I will never look at the cards the same way again."

That's lovely, but it proves nothing. You can't just rule out coincidence. If it wasn't coincidence that happened to save your family member, what was it? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

"The Bible said it is bad, but is wrong in many of it's passages, and is so superficial. The cards let me know that my family member was about to die. That is not bad at all. It saves lives!"

I don't know why this was grouped into a third case, it seems to be part of Case 2.

Summary: You still lack proof that Tarot Cards should be considered good. I rest my case.
Cooldudebro

Pro

Rebuttal 1:

Not all sensible parents don't go to bars. Maybe it was their date night. Not drunk but buzzed. There are not that many sensible parents out there. https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...

Rebuttal 2:

You don't understand. There has to be four tarots, lined in the exact way, in the exact spot, in the exact order, and has to happen within 7 days. My family member has had the machine for 4 years and has not forgot the water once. But, it just so happens she forgot it the time my mom did the tarots. A bit of a long shot, don't ya think?

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com...
SoloNo.1

Con

1. So what you're saying is, if the tarots had never shown that the roads were to be dangerous, it would have been fine if the parents just went ahead and got "buzzed, not drunk"? Newsflash! It doesn't matter what the tarot cards said, if you drink, you shouldn't drive.

2. Well, it happens. I'm saying that correlation does not equal causation, and you still haven't demonstrated that the tarot cards actually predicted anything. I can't assume that the tarots actually "knew" that was going to happen.
Cooldudebro

Pro

Rebuttal 1: No, it makes them use more caution. How many people actually don't drink and drive. If everyone did, there would be no DUI.

Rebuttal 2: If you still think it is a coincidince, then I have nothing to tell you. It also said i would be traveling soon. I am going on vacation in a week.

I suggest you have not proven tarot cards to be considered not good.
SoloNo.1

Con

1. Oh, so drinking and driving is fine, unleeeess the tarot says no. Where in hell did you fish that logic from?

2. Well, I have no proof of otherwise, so I can't just assume that it was the cards.

3. I don't have anything to prove. The burden of proof lies on you to show me that tarot cards should be considered good.

IN CONCLUSION: I've had worse debates. I still lack actual reason to believe that tarot cards do any good apart from sheer coincidence. If Cooldudebro wishes, we may begin another debate to continue this one. I suggest you take a look at the https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com... site because it is useful for pointing out fallacies. By the way, when you posted https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com... links in your post, they weren't actually relevant to the points I was making.

I urge the voters on this debate to vote fairly, and may the best debater win.
Posted by SoloNo.1 3 years ago
SoloNo.1
http://www.debate.org... There ya go.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
okay
Posted by SoloNo.1 3 years ago
SoloNo.1
Great, I'll post a link to the new debate in just a tic.
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
yes
Posted by SoloNo.1 3 years ago
SoloNo.1
Cooldudebro, do you want to continue this argument in another debate?
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
I think that Lifemeansgodisgood's comment should be on the weekly stupid. No offense
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
*It saves lives
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
that makes no sense
Posted by Cooldudebro 3 years ago
Cooldudebro
Here we go. I saves lives. It is good, unless, God wants people to die, which is evil. So, what you are saying is God is evil.
Posted by LifeMeansGodIsGood 3 years ago
LifeMeansGodIsGood
if it is not unfailingly and unquestionably accurate every time, it is coming from evil, not from good......anything you think is good from it is misleading and opening the door for evil forces in your life and the lives of others you are encouraging to seek power or insight from evil sources.
Vote Placed by Kreakin 3 years ago
Kreakin
CooldudebroSoloNo.1Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Had pro taken the line that they are merely psychological tools I think a good argument could have been made. As it stands it appears that tarot cards are supernatural which discredited the argument. Conduct to pro as con was at times patronising, the"that's lovely " comment. Con gets arguments as correctly identified the fallacies in pros argument. Sources go to con for appropriate use.