matthewmatt14
SRivers1999

Should Technology Be Allowed In School

matthewmatt14

Pro

I think Technology should be allowed in school because of all of the information available online. That Information is better and their is so much more of it in a text book. Also that information is endless then in a textbook. People enjoy the internet more then a textbook and it is sooooo much easier to use.
SRivers1999

Con

I disagree with your opinion. I think that despite the modern day that is filled with technology, students should not be exposed to too much technology because it is not good for health and can lead to problems in the long term. Good old fashioned text books maybe perceived as boring but they have the information needed and provide a sense of reality unlike all of the new technology that can be provoke addictions.
matthewmatt14

Pro

Not true, though you can get eye damage some students have the option to use technology. I go to newfairfield Middle School and we have the option to chose technology or a pen and paper. The online games can be blocked by teachers because some websites i cant go on. Technology will benefit a student.
SRivers1999

Con

whether it is optional or not is irrelevant; technology outside of school ( laptops, mobile phones, consoles etc) are getting out of hand. Obviously in this day and age there is no point saying we shouldn't use it, but with the technology that surrounds the majority students outside of school, it would be bad to exasperate the situation by exposing students to more technology. I agree with you saying that "games will be blocked" but it's not the fact that students will play games - it's the fact that technology is not as good as books and does not help your ability to think. Not only can they cause addictions and diminish health but too much technology can cause distractions in the classroom luring students away from what they should be doing. On numerous occasions, I have seen students access websites that are completely irrelevant to what they should be doing. Technology can also take children away from the real world; socializing can be affected and students have the tendency to focus and concentrate less in the classroom. Social networks eg facebook, twitter and instagram can be used to bully, and to expand on the lack of socializing, I believe that there are less kids going outside and participating in sport. Also out of curiosity let me ask you this question: As a parent, what would you rather, your child attending eg basketball club or playing games at lunch at school? ( thinking logically). It's not just about benefiting students in school, you have to look at the effects in moderation. Yes technology may benefit a student, but in my opinion I think that the time given to students to use the technology should be restricted and monitored. Additionally, sports and clubs should be accentuated in oppose to computers. You cannot just look at technology from one perspective; granted they can be good for studying but you must look at the other side of the coin. Technology can be bad for health and can be the place for cuber bullying. It is a very bad thing if used inappropriately.
matthewmatt14

Pro

I'm not talking about outside of school. I'm talking about in school. In school technology is better then a textbook. I have never seen ONE textbook that had more information then a laptop. The use of technology will make learning easier because of all the learning games, websites and articles. Let me ask you a question. Would you rather have someone post something bad about you on the internet or say something bad about you at school in front of everybody. Cyber bullying isn't the problem, I'm talking about how people learn and your going off topic. I want you to name one time when a textbook had more information then a laptop.
SRivers1999

Con

I know I may be going off topic but just because technology has more information than a textbook doesn't mean that it should be used! Yes students may prefer to have new technology at school but it's not all about learning; the effects they have on health can be quite significant. The problem is, your just thinking about the learning. Granted, learning is the primary purpose of schools, but health and socializing are important as well. Textbooks may be perceived as boring but they do have information and cost less. More importantly, as beneficial as technology is, it can drastically affect concentration levels to the extent that students writing and communication are hindered. Your just focussing on the information technology has, but really, as long as a textbook contains all the information needed, students learning is fine. How you say 'technology' makes me think that you would like a variety of different devices obtained in school ( quite an ambiguous term). With this in mind, mobile phones and other devices may be overused and used when they shouldn't be...like in class. Despite the fact that you claim games would be blocked, students may be tempted to linger on the internet doing things they shouldn't be doing. This leads to addictions and students losing focus. Additionally, students are very easily distracted and in class, their minds are somewhere else as they are constantly thinking about the internet and technology. Technology wouldn't be used in every lesson, so the ability to think in class (without technology) is imperative. Should you sacrifice concentration in class, health worries/doubts and people skills (maybe) for more technology that costs money and serves the same as books? Admittedly technology is useful and offers something different to textbooks but health wise textbooks are better; and adding to that, it can create addictions and can lead to concentration levels being affected. You cant just think about learning.Not too much technology should not be allowed at school ( excluding your computers that most schools have) as the reasons for why they're bad outweigh the reasons for why they're good. Health is very important and as for cyber bullying, you cannot take it lightly. To answer your question, I would rather be abused on the internet but thats just me. Some people might prefer to be abused in front of people so that the abuser would look bad. You can't underestimate cyber bullying, it is a big problem.
matthewmatt14

Pro

True but with technology you have the entire world at your fingertips. Correct it's not all about the learning, but technology doesn't cause problems because of the divice called glasses. With thoses you can stay on the internet longer without hurting your eyes. Technology also has better storage then a binder. Sure that they are expensive. But you never have to buy another one ever again unless a stupid student drops it. But then they have to pay for it. The school blocks out websites that students shouldn't be on, so they can't go on games. Students cant use cellphones in class because there are still teachers that can see what their up to. You said that technology can't be in lessons, but at my school we have NWEA testing on the internet, we also have SBAC testing. Also your going off topic again, we're not talking about cyber bullying.
SRivers1999

Con

SRivers1999 forfeited this round.
matthewmatt14

Pro

Well you forfeited that round so i cant really argue this time. :D. But technology is better for many reasons because of all the stuff to learn on it. Just please post something so i can argue.
SRivers1999

Con

SRivers1999 forfeited this round.
Posted by cwt002 2 years ago
cwt002
There are a couple of things I am confused about or rather wondering why it did not happen in this argument. I helped write a dissertation on technology in schools for a Master's student in Education. Their survey found that every teacher found technology beneficial and important in education. There were 25 different teachers interviewed from various districts and classes. Another thing that the teachers agreed on was that technology should be carefully and strategically integrated in the classroom, meaning the success of technology was based upon its use.

Also, the definition of technology was never stated. Everyone automatically assumes technology means computers (basically) but there are so many options. For example, a SMARTboard, projector..... are all forms of technology that are so beneficial in learning. Therefore, creating a clear definition would have helped the arguments.

Last, someone kept bringing up health issues but never supported it, what health issues, how is it an issue........But not outside support was really mentioned on either argument it seemed to be based on beliefs rather than facts.
Posted by Lt.Harris 3 years ago
Lt.Harris
Haha. Where I live, all schools (even public) have ipads and chrome-books. Trust me, they aren't good at all. They aren't used for good purposes. Even friends I like misuse them and admit that they are much, much more of a hinderance than a benefit.